S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Musings of an ex CO

Old 10-15-2006, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've only been around here for about a year so I don't really know all the history and what has transpired here in the past. There are snippets and occasional links to old threads that have helped me to understand the dynamic of this little corner of the Internet.

I will say in that year this place has changed my life (although some may debate whether it's for the better).

I do have a couple of questions for the former and current COs about this "over the line" business.

Has it been the practice to address these issues in the threads in which they've occurred or by PM? How do the current COs plan to handle them? If I've never been "called down" or received a PM does that mean I haven't ever "crossed the line"?

I'm not trying to start any sort of controversy I would just like to be very sure of the ground rules.

Thanks to all those who have served as CO and best wishes for the current crew. I appreciate your sacrifice of time and effort.

Lastly, I would encourage everyone to attend a meet when and if you can. From the Sunshine Gathering to the first FFF and the GGG you gain perspective and form bonds with people that I don't think are quite the same as just chatting on a web site. It makes it easier to understand the intent of a particular post when it might otherwise be unclear.

See you at Sanibel.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:39 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 625 Likes on 377 Posts

I for one like Bill's statement above as an outline of the ground rules for participation. Ultimately it is up to us as participating members to police ourselves and handle any disagreements that may arise. As a general principle, COs are not here to be intrusive, but rather to facilitate. I'm sure they can be deliberate when necessary. But then I'm just one day on the job.

But I couldn't foresee any problems with your posts Raymo 19. So not to worry and post away!

See you at Sanibel. ?

I wish!
Old 10-15-2006, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by raymo19,Oct 15 2006, 12:30 PM
Lastly, I would encourage everyone to attend a meet when and if you can. From the Sunshine Gathering to the first FFF and the GGG you gain perspective and form bonds with people that I don't think are quite the same as just chatting on a web site. It makes it easier to understand the intent of a particular post when it might otherwise be unclear.
I think most will find that the mental images we form of each other while online will be shattered upon meeting in person. And meeting someone in person tends to change the whole dynamic of subsequent online conversations in most cases.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:49 AM

Received 3,199 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Originally Posted by raymo19
I will say in that year this place has changed my life (although some may debate whether it's for the better).
I would have to say this place has changed our lives dramatically. Never have we had such a busy social life. We have never met so many nice people, whose company we thoroughly enjoy. In the past we tended to shy away from gatherings where we didn't know just about everyone that would be attending, that is no longer the case.

Originally Posted by raymo19
Has it been the practice to address these issues in the threads in which they've occurred or by PM? How do the current COs plan to handle them? If I've never been "called down" or received a PM does that mean I haven't ever "crossed the line"?
I'd say all CO's will handle this a bit differently, and of course it depends on the post in question. We may make a mention in a thread about an individual post, we may send a PM. If we get PMs about a post, we'll review it and address it as needed. We can edit offending posts as well.

Thankfully, those actions are rarely needed here. And I don't think I can remember you "crossing the line." But I'll be watching you now.

Old 10-15-2006, 10:25 AM

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Even though Bill is no longer CO, I hope he will still contribute in some way to Vintage...perhaps he might think about being emcee at some of the dinners we have during our meets. I think Bill is very skilled in public speaking.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Lainey8484,Oct 15 2006, 01:49 PM
...But I'll be watching you now.

That's probably a good idea. I tend to forget my medication from time to time.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:10 AM

Received 3,199 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Originally Posted by S1997,Oct 15 2006, 12:06 PM
I think Lainey is especially good at responding to posts and making people feel like they are welcome and that they are part of Vintage. (Not that others aren' t, too, though).
Thanks, Jim.

Among others, our left coast friend Patricia (formerly known as Patty), does a great job of responding to posts by new members to help them feel welcome and included.

Old 10-15-2006, 03:16 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Bill, best wishes on your stepping down. Thank you for taking the Vintage CO reins last year.

I've always tried to ask people to treat the other person / people in a conversation as if he/she/they were sitting across the table. It's really not that hard to do, though some folks refuse to try (particularly in hot circumstance).
Old 10-15-2006, 03:16 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Lainey8484,Oct 15 2006, 02:10 PM
....Among others, our left coast friend Patricia (formerly known as Patty), does a great job of responding to posts by new members to help them feel welcome and included......
Old 10-15-2006, 03:32 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by raymo19,Oct 15 2006, 12:30 PM
I've only been around here for about a year so I don't really know all the history and what has transpired here in the past. There are snippets and occasional links to old threads that have helped me to understand the dynamic of this little corner of the Internet.

I do have a couple of questions for the former and current COs about this "over the line" business.

I'm not trying to start any sort of controversy I would just like to be very sure of the ground rules.

Thanks to all those who have served as CO and best wishes for the current crew. I appreciate your sacrifice of time and effort.

See you at Sanibel.
Usually it is cumulative Ray. Seldom does someone just come out and say something so bad that it draws immediate CO response. I think we all kid one another in our own ways from time to time. Some folks rub other folks the wrong way and when it escalates, it is pretty obvious.

Quick Reply: Musings of an ex CO