S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Motoring

Old 11-04-2003, 06:24 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I never try to wax eloquent about the driving experience. I know I can't compare. The greatest automotive writer of our time (or any other) is Peter Egan who writes for Road and Track. Please don't bother to post a disagreement with this statement or the name of someone who you think is just as good because you will be wrong. Some might say I am being opinionated, but in everyhting there has to be a best and he is it.

I eagerly await each issue of R&T and unless something amazing is on the cover (this month it was the Elise) I turn to his monthly column, Side Glances, and usually read it twice. I then check to see if he wrote another article in the month's issue and if so, I read that. Then I start at the front of the mag and read to the end. I love all of the writers and find the prose to be first class, but if the rest of the mag was filled with nothing but truck ads I'd still subscribe to read Side Glances. Egan has made me laugh, made me cry, made me remember and most importantly, made me think.

After read dozens of Peter Egan travelogues, taking me cross-country along dozens of interesting routes, in a dozens interesting cars I wouldn't even try to write about it myself.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:30 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally posted by Legal Bill
...After read dozens of Peter Egan travelogues, taking me cross-country along dozens of interesting routes, in a dozens interesting cars I wouldn't even try to write about it myself.
How about a few favorite excerpts, Bill?

Share with those of us who cannot afford a R&T $ubscription

Seriously, I only subscribe to Automobile at the moment, but am thinking of not renewing right away...b/c all my reading time in spent on s2ki.com How about starting a thread on "My favorite auto mag..."
Old 11-07-2003, 06:06 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by paS2K
Old 11-07-2003, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While many times when I or we take off in the S we have a destination, the problem seems to be how long it takes to get there. Of course there are the main roads the problem seems to be we come to a stop sign & I'll say which way to do you want go? My wife picks a direction & we go, not necessarily towards our destination. Then we'll be going down the road & my wife will say STOP, that road looks interesting, & away we go.

We like to go up north in Wisconsin to Lake Superior it's about a 3 1/2 hour drive from our house. The last time we went it took 5 1/2 hours to get there.

Before it got cold (10*F tonight) we would get in the car to drive to the local ice cream shop about 5 miles away. Darn if it doesn't take 2 hours to get there.
Old 11-08-2003, 06:08 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tommyra
drive to the local ice cream shop about 5 miles away.
Old 11-08-2003, 06:33 AM

Received 5,791 Likes on 3,411 Posts

Originally posted by ralper
We just want to go motoring at our own pace, in our own time with our little S as our magic carpet.
Cecil Kimber and the other blokes from the Octagon company would smile reading that line. Nice write up Rob. Since my whole life has been a love of sports cars on both road and track, I always appreciate others who have have similar feelings.

On another note, I am put-off by some of the technology for the sake of technology concepts. This is fresh in my mind as I just watched a short piece on TV about the Tokyo auto show and one of concept cars was a van looking thing that "automatically did parallel parking!" And, there was another van that had the floor planels that slide out and it opened up into a traveling picnic table. I quess Motoring has many sides. I like ours best.
Old 11-08-2003, 06:39 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dlq04
one of concept cars was a van looking thing that "automatically did parallel parking!"
Old 11-08-2003, 06:50 AM

Nice.......
Old 11-08-2003, 07:09 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dlq04
Old 11-08-2003, 05:07 PM

Motoring, simply put it's not about the destination, it

Quick Reply: Motoring