S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Old 12-15-2005, 05:30 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Merci
Old 12-15-2005, 06:04 PM

Received 3,215 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Originally Posted by matt_inva,Dec 14 2005, 10:49 PM
Lainey,

Out of my immediate circle of playmates while in elementary school, I was just about the only non-Catholic. I remember when they found out and came right out and stated: That because I was not Catholic, I could not get into heaven!

Hmmm, It seems that some people with strong religious beliefs still feel that way!
Hey Matt!

I'll put in a good word for you if I ever make it in.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:20 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,161 Posts

Originally Posted by matt_inva,Dec 14 2005, 11:49 PM
I was raised as an Episcopilian by Catholic parents that were fed up with the Roman Catholic Church. I was pretty much the only non-Catholic in my predominately Italian and Irish neighbor hood (except for a few Jewish families scattered here and there).

Out of my immediate circle of playmates while in elementary school, I was just about the only non-Catholic. I remember when they found out and came right out and stated: That because I was not Catholic, I could not get into heaven!

Hmmm, It seems that some people with strong religious beliefs still feel that way!
Matt,

Growing up only a few blocks from you, I was one of the few Jewish families scattered here and there. I had the same experience that you did. The Catholic kids were prohibited from playing with me by their parents because I was Jewish. Heaven was out of the question all together.

What a change it was when we moved to a largely Jewish, but mixed neighborhood in Brooklyn. All of a sudden I had more friends than I thought I could ever possibly have.

When I read all of this to do about the words "Merry Christmas" I realize that things really haven't changed much in the last 45 to 50 years. I really don't mind the "Merry Christmas" greeting any more than I hope others don't mind "Happy Channukah" and I think that "Seasons Greetings" and "Happy Holidays" are all inclusive. I don't like when "Merry Christmas" becomes an in your face, 2005 way of saying, "You're not going to get into Heaven". I don't like when words become more important than people.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:25 PM

Received 3,215 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper,Dec 15 2005, 10:20 PM
Matt,

Growing up only a few blocks from you, I was one of the few Jewish families scattered here and there. I had the same experience that you did. The Catholic kids were prohibited from playing with me by their parents because I was Jewish. Heaven was out of the question all together.
The garbage they filled our heads with back then was unbelievable.

It seems the Catholics have come around in accepting people of other faiths, or so I hear. I'm kind of out of the club.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:59 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey8484,Dec 15 2005, 10:25 PM
.... I'm kind of out of the club.
e.x.c.o.m.m.u.n.i.c.a.t.i.o.n
Old 12-15-2005, 08:34 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,531 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper,Dec 15 2005, 07:20 PM
Matt,

Growing up only a few blocks from you, I was one of the few Jewish families scattered here and there. I had the same experience that you did. The Catholic kids were prohibited from playing with me by their parents because I was Jewish...
You know what, Rob? My best friend in Jr. High wasn't allowed to hang with me after her parents found out I wasn't Jewish. I don't know the percentage but our schools had around 35% Jewish kids, I would guess. (On the Jewish holidays, we never did anything important in school because so many kids were absent.) Years later, at our High School reunion, she told me that her parents blew it. The Jewish friends her parents approved of were into drugs and she was a follower.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I heard this joke in Catholic school, told to us by one of our religion teachers.

A man died, and he had lived a very virtuous life but had never been a member of any religion. So he went to heaven, and they showed him around so he could find a home for his eternity.

The first place he came to was full of people having fun, really enjoying themselves. They all welcomed him, and asked if he wanted to stay for the party. He asked who they were and they said they were the Jews. After staying a while he decided to keep looking around.

So he went to the next place, and these folks were also having a wonderful time. Another non-stop party. He asked them who they were, and they said they were the Baptists.

And this went on and on, he met all sorts of people, all of whom were enjoying themselves. But finally he came to another area, one that was closed off by big doors and a wall all around. It sounded like everyone inside was having fun as well, so the man asked his guide if he could go inside.

"No, I'm afraid we can't let people in and out of there. Those are the Catholics, and they think they are the only ones up here...."
Old 12-16-2005, 01:57 AM

Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts

^
Old 12-16-2005, 02:05 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Dec 16 2005, 01:42 AM
I heard this joke in Catholic school, told to us by one of our religion teachers.

A man died, and he had lived a very virtuous life but had never been a member of any religion. So he went to heaven, and they showed him around so he could find a home for his eternity.

The first place he came to was full of people having fun, really enjoying themselves. They all welcomed him, and asked if he wanted to stay for the party. He asked who they were and they said they were the Jews. After staying a while he decided to keep looking around.

So he went to the next place, and these folks were also having a wonderful time. Another non-stop party. He asked them who they were, and they said they were the Baptists.

And this went on and on, he met all sorts of people, all of whom were enjoying themselves. But finally he came to another area, one that was closed off by big doors and a wall all around. It sounded like everyone inside was having fun as well, so the man asked his guide if he could go inside.

"No, I'm afraid we can't let people in and out of there. Those are the Catholics, and they think they are the only ones up here...."
If it wasn't funny it would be sad.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:09 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Kyras,Dec 16 2005, 01:34 AM
You know what, Rob? My best friend in Jr. High wasn't allowed to hang with me after her parents found out I wasn't Jewish. I don't know the percentage but our schools had around 35% Jewish kids, I would guess. (On the Jewish holidays, we never did anything important in school because so many kids were absent.) Years later, at our High School reunion, she told me that her parents blew it. The Jewish friends her parents approved of were into drugs and she was a follower.
No question about it Patty, stupidity exists in every group. I'd have thought that we'd all realized that by now and instead of objecting to an all inclusive greeting like "Happy Holidays" people would want to embrace it.

Instead, those who stand to benefit from the division build fences and walls, and those who don't know better follow.

Quick Reply: MERRY CHRISTMAS