S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Old 12-14-2005, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First we start with the issue of patent leather shoes
Some boys were very fond of those patent leather shoes on girls, especially the shoes that were very shiny and reflective.

And before you ask, I have no firsthand knowledge or experience.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:12 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 825 Likes on 489 Posts

[QUOTE=SheDrivesIt,Dec 14 2005, 01:00 PM] Lainey, I think that depends upon the Catholic school you attended, the group and individuals running it, and the time you attended.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by batguano,Nov 30 2005, 08:07 AM
MERRY CHRISTMAS
There, I,ve said it. I am going to celebrate Christmas this year in spite of all the "happy hollidays" greetings I get from retailers and such. I know that we are in an age of PC to the extreme but I refuse to participate on this one.
On another forum, someone was lamenting the lack of money spent on solutions to the problem of asteroid impacts. One of the wags tossed out his answer:

"We should just rename the asteroid the 'Happy Holidays Asteroid'. There would be a huge outcry, and all the 'Merry Christmas' folks would demand that Congress spend the money to destroy it."
Old 12-14-2005, 10:37 AM

Received 3,215 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Originally Posted by SheDrivesIt,Dec 14 2005, 01:00 PM
Lainey, I think that depends upon the Catholic school you attended, the group and individuals running it, and the time you attended. Personally, I went to Catholic grade school from the mid 60s to the early 70s and looking backward, it was fairly progressive. At no time, ever, did anyone imply that people of other faiths were wrong. In fact, I remember discussions on the subject.
I think most of that kind of discussion was in the early to mid 60's and I certainly remember it at my school. They used to make you feel like you'd end up in Hell for even walking into another religion's church. They looked down on the kids who went to public school like they were a bunch of heathens.

I can't say that I was not well educated, but I do recall they (the nuns) were not very kind to any kid who had any kind of learing disability. Maybe they weren't trained for it, but it often wasn't pretty. If you were a good student, you did just fine, if not, watch out! Oh and if your older sister or brother was smart, they expected no less of you.

In about the second grade, I remember how we were told to leave room on the right for our guardian angel. Do not leave space on the left as that's where the devil was. You had a bunch of kids practically falling off their chairs to leave space so the devil wouldn't make his way in. Over 40 years have passed and this stuff is burned into my brain.

Let's just say my son did not go to Catholic school.

I could go on and on.............But then again, maybe it belongs in another thread.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey8484,Dec 14 2005, 11:37 AM
I think most of that kind of discussion was in the early to mid 60's and I certainly remember it at my school. They used to make you feel like you'd end up in Hell for even walking into another religion's church. They looked down on the kids who went to public school like they were a bunch of heathens.
Keep in mind the difference between pre- and post- Vatican II Catholicism.

When I went to Catholic school it was very progressive. That only reflected the whole archdiocese. Our archbishop was in fact so liberal that the pope eventualy gave him an "assistant", to act as a political officer and keep him in line a bit more.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:28 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

^^The same was true here. Our bishop has now retired or gone on to his reward or some such, but he was liberal almost to the point of not being there at all. We didn't have to worry much about rules during his "reign". One of his favorite statements was "let your conscience determine whether you need to confess" or take communion, etc. Everybody ran up for a wafer and there was never an occupied seat during communion time.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:40 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Dec 14 2005, 02:23 PM
...."We should just rename the asteroid the 'Happy Holidays Asteroid'. There would be a huge outcry, and all the 'Merry Christmas' folks would demand that Congress spend the money to destroy it."
Hmmmm.... I think there is also Christmas Island....somewhere in the Pacific?

Those folks will all be upset when....after changing the name to Holiday Island....all of their Christmas/ Chanukah/ Kwanza cards are 'returned to sender/ address unknown'
Old 12-14-2005, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey8484,Dec 14 2005, 01:37 PM

I can't say that I was not well educated, but I do recall they (the nuns) were not very kind to any kid who had any kind of learing disability. Maybe they weren't trained for it, but it often wasn't pretty. If you were a good student, you did just fine, if not, watch out! Oh and if your older sister or brother was smart, they expected no less of you.
I went to Catholic school for kindergarten, first and half of second grade. Then we moved to a new house several miles away and I continued on in public school.

There were a couple of incidents involving the nuns that happened in first and second grade, and I think that had a major effect on me both in my relationships with others in school, and in my social abilities overall. I still feel the intense pain and emotional scarring, even though it's nearly 50 years since all of this happened.

Needless to say, grade school, jr. high school and high school were not times that I care to remember.

It's all probably something better discussed in a quiet corner over some good wine or single malt scotch...
Old 12-14-2005, 01:30 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

The Nuns are long gone from all the Catholic schools near us and my daughter's school is more or less just an expensive prep school. They do have weekly chapel but there is no attendance requirement and the kids only go to get out of class. Religious teachings and its sometimes lack of tolerance for humanity have scarred many for life. I certainly understand. We'll have to chat sometime.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:34 PM

Received 242 Likes on 181 Posts

I'll have a quality bourbon, Tomcatt.

Quick Reply: MERRY CHRISTMAS