S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Member or guest? To renew or not to renew?

Old 02-15-2014, 10:44 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,666 Likes on 858 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
Not a political discussion. And I agree with the Zipster. I won't go so far as to say it's running on fumes, but the gas tank is about half full.
I agree it's not political, but when it starts to become people feeling that others are making personal attacks, then the name-calling starts, and then the tank becomes empty, So to avoid that, either close it or move it...

And Dave, my opinion is pretty much equal to yours. As long as you participate in this site, then it's your turn to buy a round. Why should those of us who choose to pay what equals to less than a dinner out, support the rest? I doubt that advertising pays all the bills, so if everyone stops paying, then the site eventually disappears. This kind of reminds me of a guy I used to work with, who, when we were out tipping a few at happy hour, when it was time to buy a round, always seemed to be still sipping on a half-full glass, so, or course, someone else would buy. He also would show up 15 minutes after everyone else, and had the nerve to ask the barkeep for a glass, then help himself to our pitcher. Once again, he always found some convenient excuse to not be around when the pitcher ran out.

You asked for it, now you got it! BTW, I still consider all the guests to be my friend!
Old 02-15-2014, 11:06 AM

Received 3,195 Likes on 1,848 Posts

Hmm I've done some here. Please no

It is only $20.00, but do I want to spend it to renew membership? I don't know. I don't get what I used to from this site overall. The enthusiasm has waned to say the very least.

I would hate to see this site go by the wayside due to too many non contributing members, as I do feel many of you are my internet friends and I don't want to lose touch.

Though this is a for profit site, maybe for the sake or harmony, we might think of it like a charitable contritubion. Each person contributes or not, depending on their own choices/reasons and we don't judge those who do/don't contribute.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:01 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey

It is only $20.00, but do I want to spend it to renew membership? I don't know. I don't get what I used to from this site overall. The enthusiasm has waned to say the very least.

I would hate to see this site go by the wayside due to too many non contributing members, as I do feel many of you are my internet friends and I don't want to lose touch.

Though this is a for profit site, maybe for the sake or harmony, we might think of it like a charitable contritubion. Each person contributes or not, depending on their own choices/reasons and we don't judge those who do/don't contribute.
I love a good discussion and this is one of those, thank you Lainey!
We all have our reasons for what we do. We hold what is important and act on it. For those that want to be guests, f@#$ #$#. JUST KIDDING! But I do hope to see all of you at Spring Fling, 'cause I still like you all, well then there's Jerry.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:10 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Judging from visitor statistics I’m guessing that this site hosts around 40,000 visits with 120,000 page views each day or 1,200.000 visits with 4,800,000 page views each month. From what I have recently researched the best guess estimates amount to $50,000-$80,000 a month in potential advertising revenue which does not include sponsorship or membership fees.

Overhead costs are unknown, but I would suspect $12,000-$15.000/mo as a high water mark.

gary

Old 02-15-2014, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Zippy
Originally Posted by Lainey' timestamp='1392494772' post='23017323

I love a good discussion and this is one of those, thank you Lainey!
We all have our reasons for what we do. We hold what is important and act on it. For those that want to be guests, f@#$ #$#. JUST KIDDING! But I do hope to see all of you at Spring Fling, 'cause I still like you all, well then there's Jerry.
Stars or no stars we'll be at the Fling. Wish they would hide my total posts and not my stars.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:59 PM

Received 5,759 Likes on 3,394 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey

Lainey, If a person is saying I don't enjoy this site like I used to so I'm going to stop hanging out here. No problem. I understand that and respect that.

But if a person hangs out here every day like most on this thread do to make conversation, post pictures, track upcoming events, and all the other sharing then a small donation to keep it going doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Otherwise its like the people who go into McDonalds every day, buy one coffee, take up space for the entire day to talk to friends and expect McDonalds to put up with it.

Gene, we must have the same friend and didn't know it. We had one that worked with us exactly like that. Everyone in the group would talk about it and just look at one another when he would duck out of buying a round.

PS Lainey, I will be looking up to see if the stars come out.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by dlq04
Originally Posted by Lainey' timestamp='1392494772' post='23017323

Lainey, If a person is saying I don't enjoy this site like I used to so I'm going to stop hanging out here. No problem. I understand that and respect that.

But if a person hangs out here every day like most on this thread do to make conversation, post pictures, track upcoming events, and all the other sharing then a small donation to keep it going doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Otherwise its like the people who go into McDonalds every day, buy one coffee, take up space for the entire day to talk to friends and expect McDonalds to put up with it.

Gene, we must have the same friend and didn't know it. We had one that worked with us exactly like that. Everyone in the group would talk about it and just look at one another when he would duck out of buying a round.

PS Lainey, I will be looking to see if the stars come out.
Good analogy.
McD's now has signs up advising they want you to get out after 20 minutes. I ignore those, but I do buy lunch, not just a coffee/soda.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:37 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Guest here as well .......
Old 02-15-2014, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
dean I only mentioned it because you brought up. I was not trying to be disrespectful to your situation.
No, I brought up the subject of the financial burden I'm under because of my health and my resulting lack of income.
For the sole purpose of pointing out the distinction, here's a health card for you. My pulmonary function test I was given this past October showed that my lungs only had 52% of normal ability to rid my body of Carbon dioxide. My PFT of two weeks ago shows that ability has fallen to 20% of normal. That's playing the health card. My point being I have far more important concerns than the financial plight of the owners of this website.

I hope for the sake of those who frequent this forum that my card is the winning one.

As for paying dues, there simply is no benefit in it for me over being a guest - no Gallery or any other useful features in return for my money that I can discern. Frankly, I have little time for this forum these days, and most of the heart of the place is gone anyway.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:01 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,648 Posts

Originally Posted by Zippy
But I do hope to see all of you at Spring Fling, 'cause I still like you all, well then there's Jerry.
as Jon Stewart would say , " yes go on..."

Quick Reply: Member or guest? To renew or not to renew?