S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Member or guest? To renew or not to renew?

Old 02-14-2014, 05:57 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,949 Likes on 2,647 Posts

well, I originally ponied up for the photo hosting.
But with the new site formatting, they have made the photo gallery virtually useless and further they don't seem to care that it is useless.
So my credit card will stay comfortably ensconced in my wallet and will continue to do so until they fix the photo hosting.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:19 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Lainey, I was a gold member (wait, not like Austin Powers) for years. No more. I became a guest about 3 years ago. Biggest down side? No more politics forum. But that was for the good. As you say, with photo bucket you don't need a membership to post pics. I'm fine as a non member and will remain so.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S1997
Originally Posted by dean' timestamp='1392412502' post='23016185
It appears that I've joined your ranks, Lainey. I'm now a guest also. I see no reason whatsoever to pay for membership renewal.
I just wonder whether (or how much of) the membership dues are/is necessary for the site to survive. Maybe some, maybe none... I personally figure I get the couple bucks per month amount of worth out of sharing use of the site. Otherwise I couldn't keep up with your aquarium build!! Some good stuff on here, and a great community (of curmudgeons), I am definitely not playing the role of shill here. But why squeeze a dollar. Pony up! Otherwise, hell, the Politics Subforum might disappear.
I have too many more pressing things to do with my time these days than waste it in the Politics forum. And my money for membership dues is better spent on things like prednisone, N-Acetyl Cysteine, Oxygen, CT scans, pre-transplant screening, and fun shit like that. Membership offers no benefit for me over being a guest - and the site owners have shown no interest in making it otherwise. They can keep my stars; I'll spend my money elsewhere.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:41 PM

Received 5,759 Likes on 3,394 Posts

You know what, I think you are all a bunch of cheap bastards. For $10 or $20 you get to bitch about how you are not being served. Boy, do I feel sorry for you! What hardship. Come on, belly up. Say you enjoy it here. And a buy a round.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:17 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,956 Likes on 1,749 Posts

My reducing my membership from gold had nothing to do with the money. It was a statement of solidarity with Val when she left. I almost became a guest, but decided to be a regular member - for now.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:53 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by S1997
Originally Posted by dean' timestamp='1392412502' post='23016185
It appears that I've joined your ranks, Lainey. I'm now a guest also. I see no reason whatsoever to pay for membership renewal.
I just wonder whether (or how much of) the membership dues are/is necessary for the site to survive. Maybe some, maybe none... I personally figure I get the couple bucks per month amount of worth out of sharing use the site. Otherwise I couldn't keep up with your aquarium build!! Some good stuff on here, and a great community (of curmudgeons), I am definitely not playing the role of shill here. But why squeeze a dollar. Pony up! Otherwise, hell, the Politics Subforum might disappear.

I have to agree, this is no longer owned or run by enthusiasts. This is now a for-profit site, and if they are not making money, there will be no site. They lose nothing by shutting it down, if they are not making money, it will go away, or least that's what I believe.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:15 AM

Received 3,195 Likes on 1,848 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
You know what, I think you are all a bunch of cheap bastards. For $10 or $20 you get to bitch about how you are not being served. Boy, do I feel sorry for you! What hardship. Come on, belly up. Say you enjoy it here. And a buy a round.

There's a $10.00 membership fee? Is that the senior discount?
Old 02-15-2014, 05:20 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Zippy
I have to agree, this is no longer owned or run by enthusiasts. This is now a for-profit site, and if they are not making money, there will be no site. They lose nothing by shutting it down, if they are not making money, it will go away, or least that's what I believe.
I agree with you, to an extent. This site is a business whose purpose is to make money for its owners. I believe they make enough from sponsors and vendors that they don't need to take my money too. I am a paid member on another forum, but that forum is still enthusiast run and isn't supported by advertising and vendors. Membership there is strictly voluntary. Once a year, the site operator puts up the budget for the year and asks for donations. The goal is usually reached within two weeks, with the majority of donations in the $10-$20 range. Oh, and it offers a free photo gallery that works.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If there's one word that sums up the true essence of my character, it's most certainly the word, "cheap".

I'll make you a trade. I'll pay BOTH of our membership dues - Gold, no less - if you'll pay my medical debt. At the moment it's only about $83,000. But should the nodule that was recently discovered in my right lung turn out not to be cancer and I get approved for a transplant and manage to find a compatible donor, then you can tack another $561,000+ (plus room and board for having to live within minutes of the hospital for two or three months following the surgery) to that measly $83k.

Just so the deal isn't too one-sided, I'll see what I can do about coming up with the cash on my own for all the drugs I'll have to take on a permanent and daily basis following the potential transplant. It's the very least I can do in recompense for the hubris of putting my own needs before putting twenty bucks in the pockets of the owners of this site.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:57 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

If El Cheapo is a Gold Member, what does make a "guest" who hangs out here all day?

Not trying to start something, just sayin'.....

Quick Reply: Member or guest? To renew or not to renew?