S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Member or guest? To renew or not to renew?

Old 02-14-2014, 10:51 AM

Received 3,195 Likes on 1,848 Posts
Default Member or guest? To renew or not to renew?

Just noticed I'm now a guest here. I will try to be a good guest. Along the way I see others who have become guests and they have not renewed membership. I know a few have personal reasons for not dishing out for a membership.

With photobucket and adblock plus, I can still post pics and am not aggravated by annoying ads.

Outside of this forum, I no longer spend much time on S2KI. NE is dead. I'm not sure I will bother springing for the membership just to get my stars and PM's.

All kidding aside, is there a good reason to dish out membership fees at the present time? The original site owners are no more. What funds this site?? Membership fees? Sponsors? Advertisements?
Old 02-14-2014, 11:03 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Just noticed I'm now a guest here. I will try to be a good guest. Along the way I see others who have become guests and they have not renewed membership. I know a few have personal reasons for not dishing out for a membership.

With photobucket and adblock plus, I can still post pics and am not aggravated by annoying ads.

Outside of this forum, I no longer spend much time on S2KI. NE is dead. I'm not sure I will bother springing for the membership just to get my stars and PM's.

All kidding aside, is there a good reason to dish out membership fees at the present time? The original site owners are no more. What funds this site?? Membership fees? Sponsors? Advertisements?
Good question. Perhaps a perceived need for monetary support? I'll be standing aside awaiting the answers.

gary
Old 02-14-2014, 11:15 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

The only reason I would pay to be a member is if I have parts to sell and want to use the classifieds. Otherwise, I see no benefit.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:18 AM

Oh I can't go into politics now. That's OK.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:23 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

I will not renew... When I sell parts, I now use Facebook. Other than that, I see no reason to renew.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It appears that I've joined your ranks, Lainey. I'm now a guest also. I see no reason whatsoever to pay for membership renewal.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:54 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 625 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by dean
It appears that I've joined your ranks, Lainey. I'm now a guest also. I see no reason whatsoever to pay for membership renewal.
I just wonder whether (or how much of) the membership dues are/is necessary for the site to survive. Maybe some, maybe none... I personally figure I get the couple bucks per month amount of worth out of sharing use the site. Otherwise I couldn't keep up with your aquarium build!! Some good stuff on here, and a great community (of curmudgeons), I am definitely not playing the role of shill here. But why squeeze a dollar. Pony up! Otherwise, hell, the Politics Subforum might disappear.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:59 PM

Received 5,759 Likes on 3,394 Posts

Originally Posted by S1997
Originally Posted by dean' timestamp='1392412502' post='23016185
I just wonder whether (or how much of) the membership dues are/is necessary for the site to survive. Maybe some, maybe none... I personally figure I get the couple bucks per month amount of worth out of sharing use of the site. Otherwise I couldn't keep up with your aquarium build!! Some good stuff on here, and a great community (of curmudgeons), I am definitely not playing the role of shill here. But why squeeze a dollar. Pony up! Otherwise the Politics Subforum might disappear.
I agree. I can think of a lot of times when I've spent a whale of a lot more money for something that was a lot less enjoyable than visiting here.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by dlq04
Originally Posted by S1997' timestamp='1392418442' post='23016324
[quote name='dean' timestamp='1392412502' post='23016185']
I just wonder whether (or how much of) the membership dues are/is necessary for the site to survive. Maybe some, maybe none... I personally figure I get the couple bucks per month amount of worth out of sharing use of the site. Otherwise I couldn't keep up with your aquarium build!! Some good stuff on here, and a great community (of curmudgeons), I am definitely not playing the role of shill here. But why squeeze a dollar. Pony up! Otherwise the Politics Subforum might disappear.
I agree. I can think of a lot of times when I've spent a whale of a lot more money for something that was a lot less enjoyable than visiting here.
[/quote]
Is a whale the equivalent of a boatload of money?

I spend money on foolish stuff, too. It's not about the money.................or maybe it is?
Old 02-14-2014, 04:40 PM

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,713 Posts

I slipped over to the guest side last week. I am still not sure weather I am going to renew or not.

Quick Reply: Member or guest? To renew or not to renew?