S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Major League Baseball.

Old 10-16-2005, 05:26 AM

Received 467 Likes on 333 Posts

Well, even Mariano blows couple of saves in a season. Lidge is as competent and cocky in a good sense not unlike Mariano as they come. That is the one common denominator of these superb closers. They know when they are on, no one can beat them. Let the Astros continue to do well.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:25 PM

Wow! Astros pulled another one, a squeaker. Did you see LaRussa act out and get thrown out of the game? That was shameful display from a major league baseball team. That really upsets me. What kind of example are these guys showing on national television? I am glad Houston won again. Go Astros!
Old 10-16-2005, 04:40 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Did I see it? I was able to get an aerobic-type heartrate without leaving the couch!

As I told my wife, also riveted, LaRussa did the right thing. If you think about it, the bases are now loaded in a tie game. He knows that if the Astros push a run across, the bullpen comes into play. If that happens and the trend continues, then it pretty much assures the 3-1 series lead that the Astros do in fact have. By ranting and raving(btw, the strike zone started low, then went high, and then went all to heck), perhaps there was that slim hope that it would fire up his players.

It was a last-ditch and desperate move made by a manger that was looking several chess moves ahead.

Lidge was not sharp and I'll leave it at that. The reality of being so close to the WS is hard to grasp. It's right there. Someone pinch me!
Old 10-16-2005, 04:44 PM

In the after-game press address, you can feel LaRussa's seething frustration. Two games in a row, he has had to answer questions that give credit to his opponent. He'll have his boys and Carpenter ready to play tomorrow to be sure, but he is clearly rattled if you can use that word when descibing the excellent tactician.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:48 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Can't believe the 'Stro's have the Cards at the brink of elimination. I guess that's why they play the games. The Cards are unbeatable...on paper.

In the 1st it looks like the White Sox smell blood. The Angels look bad. It'll be good to see 2 more high dollar teams eliminated.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:58 PM

I guess ranting and raving are all part of tactical moves of a brilliant manager such as LaRussa but still, arguing with home plate umpire doesn't bode well with me. Sportsmanship should be displayed by all who love the game for the youths to emulate not arguing. By the way, that scene reminded me of Billy Martin who used to kick dirt with his both hands in his back pockets. He was a character! Also, I am glad President and Mrs. Bush were both in attendance again this evening! I cried when he lost his re-election bid many years ago.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by OhioRacer,Oct 16 2005, 08:48 PM
Can't believe the 'Sto's have the Cards at the brink of elimination. I guess that's why they play the games. The Cards are unbeatable...on paper.
I disagree, Carmen, but you probably were expecting that.

Yes, the Cards went 11-5 against the 'stros in the season. What the commentators fail to mention/research/whatever is that the Astros beat the Cards in St. Louis in both games in September. This undoubtedly gave the Astros confidence. The Cards would have walked over Atlanta just as they did San Diego mainly because of the pitching matchups and not power. Somewhere in this thread I think I even mentioned that the team the Cards did not want to face in the post season was the Astros.

As for the AL, admittedly I don't know all the nuances of the teams, but it is ironic that the CWS look like they're going to the WS. I'm sure you've heard about it by now, but Clemens' mother spoke of Shoeless Joe on her death bed. She also made reference to her son's team in the post season. Wouldn't it be eerie?
Old 10-16-2005, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,Sep 28 2005, 08:09 PM
I think the Cards would rather face any NL playoff team other than the Astros. Both teams are very familiar with one another. Both have great pitching. We have a little more speed. They have more pop. They definitely have the better coach. We owe them one.
atsselfonback:

Old 10-17-2005, 11:35 AM

Let the Astros close the hatch! Since Cardinals couldn't do a thing last year against the Sox, perhaps they don't deserve another chance. Let's try Astros and see if the NL can beat the AL.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:16 AM

Last night, I went through the entire range of emotions culminating with a feeling of hopelessness, despair, and violation all rolled into one. I can only imagine that what I felt last night must be something similiar to what one must feel if he walked into his own home only to find another man pleasing his wife.

I became physically ill. I couldn't sleep; didn't want to eat or drink. Almost immediately, I broke out with a rash. The more I looked at my chest and abdomin, I realized the pattern of the rash resembled those that my daughter had when she had shingles. With all the other things going on in our lives right now, could this last stressor be the cause of shingles?

I'm not as obnoxiously vocal as some fans, but I can relate to their fanaticism... now. The baseball world will see how much of a competitor Oswalt is. That is the good that will come out of last night's failure.

Trying to be objective, last night's game was an incredible seesaw battle. It had good pitching, some hitting, and some defense. Not unexpectedly, the strike zone at the beginning of the game was a lot smaller than previous nights. It loosened slightly as the game progressed. It was not the outcome I had wished for, but one has to recognize that the game was excellent.

Quick Reply: Major League Baseball.