S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Major League Baseball.

Old 10-10-2005, 10:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No "tomahawk chop" this year. I'm so grateful.
My prediction is Yanks 5, Angels 2. You can all kill me later!
Old 10-10-2005, 11:25 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Honda 367,Oct 9 2005, 11:12 PM
Wow! Yankees pulled another one out of the jaw of defeat! Way to go!
Yankees ACK! This team is like a bad pimple. They won't go away.

Braves have a problem. 14 times to the postseason and eliminated 13 of them. Something has to change there.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:55 PM

Member (Premium)

Received 139 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioRacer,Oct 10 2005, 02:25 PM
Yankees ACK! This team is like a bad pimple. They won't go away.
Oh, well.

The Yankees are gone now too.

I'll wait a bit before I change to my winter Avatar (Brian from the Family Guy).
Old 10-11-2005, 01:14 AM

Received 467 Likes on 333 Posts

Yankees gave their best but it wasn't enough to overcome the deficit. Angels deserve a great win! Good luck to White Sox, Angels, Astros and Cardinals! This is great for baseball!
Old 10-11-2005, 03:56 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, but the network is saying that. With no east coast team, the potentially lost viewership is not something they're salivating over.

Go 'stros!
Old 10-11-2005, 04:41 AM

I've decided to root for Houston Astros. Go Astros!
Old 10-11-2005, 05:09 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Honda 367,Oct 11 2005, 08:41 AM
I've decided to root for Houston Astros. Go Astros!
You have chosen wisely, Grasshopper!

Old 10-11-2005, 06:06 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

From the NY Post...

MONEY BAWL
By JOEL SHERMAN

ANAHEIM ? The blame game begins in earnest today for George Steinbrenner, and this should be easy for The Boss. Start at the top of your record payroll and just work down.

The stars did not come out at night and, because of that, the Yankees' 2005 season went dark.

Steinbrenner regularly placed all the responsibility on Joe Torre. But the Yankee season is over because of players whose names you are only supposed to write on a lineup card and leave alone.

Once again a checkbook will not win the World Series, a team will. For $208 million, Steinbrenner purchased big names, but not enough tenacity or defense.

The Angels lost their ace, Bartolo Colon, after 23 pitches last night in a decisive Game 5, and the most expensive offense in history crumbled against what at first was a shaky rookie, Ervin Santana.

The Angels won the clincher 5-3, capturing the series three games to two. This marks the fifth straight year the Yanks have failed to win the World Series, a period roughly coinciding with when they changed from a baseball team into a congregating place for millionaire mercenaries seeking larger paychecks and near guaranteed entry to October.

The Yanks have morphed into a pricey version of the Braves. They know how to get here, but unlike earlier editions of Torre's teams, they do not know how to close.

"It's why you don't play the game on paper," Derek Jeter said. "You never know how different people will respond."

Mike Mussina, who at $19 million was the majors' most expensive pitcher in 2005, was the latest big paycheck to play small. He was the rested Yankee, the one who stayed in California to ready for this start. But he exhausted much of the Yanks' chances by yielding five runs in 22/3 innings.

Mussina was not supported well by his defense. But this game turned around when Mussina responded to a 2-0 lead in the second by immediately allowing a Garret Anderson homer, which sparked a three-run Angel surge. The Angels, who hit 82 fewer regular-season homers than the Yanks, won the series longball battle 6-4. They did so despite not getting an extra-base hit or RBI from their one great star, Vladimir Guerrero.

That is because the Yanks' high-priced galaxy flickered out. Jason Giambi, Alex Rodriguez and Gary Sheffield combined for no HRs. Hideki Matsui had one, but was bad offensively and defensively.

Rodriguez, the highest-paid player ever, again demonstrated the lack of a winning gene. His Game 2 error turned the momentum of this series, and he could not turn it back with his bat. Rodriguez was 2-for-15 with no RBIs, and is 6-for-43 in the postseason since Game 4 of last year's epic ALCS collapse.

"I played great baseball all year," A-Rod said, "and I played like a dog for five days."

The whole team was more Fido than fighters. The Yanks were just 10-for-45 with runners in scoring position. Their lone hit in such a situation last night came from Bubba Crosby. Steinbrenner did not spend this much for an offense that was hope and Crosby.

Randy Johnson salvaged some dignity with 41/3 shutout innings of relief to keep the Yanks in Game 5. But his $16 million salary was about securing titles, and his disappearing act in Game 3 was on par with A-Rod's error for the most damaging elements. Johnson and Rodriguez are the faces of what the Yanks have become ? money for nothing.

Among the expensive pieces, Jeter was good, but not great; Jorge Posada did a terrific job shutting down the Angels' vaunted running game; and Mariano Rivera was, as usual, an October stalwart. But mostly Yankee hearts did not match the sizes of the wallets. Steinbrenner created a culture where he kept spending for stars, hoping he could purchase yet another championship.

But, again in 2005, money didn't buy happiness in The Bronx.

Old 10-11-2005, 06:27 AM

Member (Premium)

Received 139 Likes on 87 Posts

Carmen,

I hope you feel better now.

Oh, did I forget?

BITE ME!!!!

Old 10-11-2005, 07:19 AM

I am in agreement with that article by Joel Sherman!

Quick Reply: Major League Baseball.