S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

LS430 or RL

Old 01-26-2007, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS430 or RL

OK, I'm still looking for an s2k but have a more immediate need for a daily driver. New job + car allowance equal new car. I want to stay in the low-mid $30s and my current two choices are a MY03 LS430 or a MY05 RL. Any opinions on either? Any others that should be in the mix? I need room for 4 adults (sometimes), something that speaks to image but not in your face and something that will run without running to the shop once it breaks 75k miles. Performance isn't a high priority (that's what the s with be for) but living in the snowy midwest, traction is a consideration. Thoughts and opinions?
Old 01-26-2007, 08:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

330xi? Just a thought. Does that year RL come with SH-AWD?
Old 01-26-2007, 10:52 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,503 Likes on 1,898 Posts

[QUOTE=8_ball,Jan 26 2007, 03:53 PM] OK, I'm still looking for an s2k but have a more immediate need for a daily driver.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:01 AM

Hi,
I'm not a vet at this board, but I do know the two cars very well and own an ls430 myself. Here's a basic comparison.

LS430:
Pros:
-More room than the RL.
-Quieter than the RL.
-Smoother ride than the RL.
-Powerful acceleration (you'll feel it throw you back in your seat when you floor it).
-Great turning radius for low speed travel.
-Much more luxury feel overall.
-Rear heated seats (Not quite sure if the RL had these when I tested it out).

Cons:
-V8 Engine eats more gas than the V6 RL.
-The car has a redesign out for it that outdates it a bit.
-Lack of fully adaptive front headlamps.

Acura RL
Pros:
-SH-AWD is excellent. You'll feel the control.
-Navigation unit is very much like a PDA and is very good overall.
-Design is up to date (has not been replaced yet)
-Powerful VTEC V6 engine provides good acceleration, similar to a TL.
-As a result, less gas consumption compared the LS430.
-Has adaptive front headlights that turn with the vehicle.

Cons:
-A tad small to be a commanding/flagship vehicle.
-Road noise is very noticeable at highway speeds.
-Lacks torque for daily driving.

Overall Analysis:
The difference between the two cars is that the Lexus is simply targeted towards a more mature audience, whereas the RL is more of a in-between car. The RL has sophistication, but has not lost Honda's tradition for pep. If you were to compare the two, basically, a LS430 would be the equivalent of a seasoned stock broker veteran who knows how to play the game, while the RL would be an incoming rookie who's the stock broker equivalent to a Kobe in bball when he first entered the NBA. They are both wonderful cars, but in my personal opinion, the LS is a bit more refined and business like than the RL. Hope that helps you out a bit.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:01 AM

It's like the Camry vs. the Accord.

If it's gonna be your only car, I'd say the RL. If you have a "fun car", I'd suggest the LS. That smooth, quiet ride is hard to beat, if you value those qualities.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:43 PM

Absent any bias favoring one manufacturer over the other, the answer may lie in the availabilitiy of certain features such as AWD. Although I am unaware of Lexus offering this option yet, if so, then take a coin flip unless you have a ball and chain to make happy too. If an opinion of a wife is involved, it would be a good idea to clear your decision with her.

As a Vintage member, I am sure you have already taken this aspect into consideration. Just a friendly reminder!
Old 01-27-2007, 07:15 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

How about a TSX? You can get one for about 28k.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RL in my opinion, less on the road and still a Honda!
Oscar
Old 01-29-2007, 07:15 PM

Thanks for all of the feedback (great compare/contrast jooseung). I actually have driven both back to back and the Lexus is clearly the luxury champ, fast , smooth and quiet while the Acura is sportier, more compact and stealthier. I'm on the hunt now and will let you know the outcome. Funny thing, after I posted this, I posted a response to Laineys "favorite charity" topic. It really made me sit back and ponder the irony of it. Many people live on a sum that I'm contemplating spending for transportation. I've worked hard, given back and make no apologizes. But it just makes me think a bit.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:29 AM

If it helps any, I have a little video that I made to introduce potential clients to the RL. You can download it from my page here: RL Info

Quick Reply: LS430 or RL