S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Love It

Old 05-16-2011, 12:46 PM

Received 5,793 Likes on 3,412 Posts
Default Love It

COPS PULL OVER SLOW POKES

Hey, maybe the world is becoming a better place. According to King 5 news in the state of Washington, troopers are doing something about drivers who poke along in the fast lane, blocking the free-flow of traffic. Last month they pulled over 223 drivers for driving slow in the fast lane. Actually, they were breaking a state law requiring motorists to keep right except for passing. 199 of them were let go with just a warning. And I sure hope those people spread the word, because those slow pokes actually end up causing a lot of accidents.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:50 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

I'd shared that on Upstate a few days ago. I think they did well and I hope others follow suit.

In New York we now have a new law that says you must merge one lane over if there is an emergency vehicle (ambulance, cop car) on the shoulder of the highway. I guess way too many people were whipping past at a high speed to make it dangerous for the police or paramedics to function.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish the LEOs around here would devote a week to lane discipline like they do for DUI awareness, child seats, and seatbelt usage.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:54 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

We've noticed more and more that people get into the left lane and just sit there. Even those who drive slowly.

I don't think the driving schools and drivers ed are teaching their students about the left lane anymore. When I mention it to young people they act as though they've never heard of the concept of staying to the right except to pass. They think the left lane is just like any other. My son Adam tells it to his friends and they act as if he's wrong.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:17 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 4,003 Likes on 2,669 Posts

I'm delighted to hear that news but hey I'd be happy if they just cited the book-readers.
A nice simple $5,000 fine for reading a book while driving.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,668 Likes on 859 Posts

On my drive to the NSX Convention in Las Vegas last October, I noticed the following: From somewhere in mid-Ohio until I got to Vegas, the "Keep Right - Pass Left" law was posted and 99.5% obeyed. I only ran into one driver camped in the left lane, and they were from PA. It was such a pleasure to click the cruise control on about 12 MPH over the speed limit, encounter no one camping in the left lane, and pass the slower traffic on the left, as it should be. I have to give a to the drivers in the mid-west and west. They know the law and obey it!

Now, when I drive on the east-coast, my blood-pressure starts to boil almost as soon as I get on a multi-lane highway, due to the aptly named "left-lane dicks." No wonder there is road-rage...

Rob, I have driven recently on the Garden State Parkway in NJ, and there are signs stating: "Drive Right - Pass Left," so I am surprised that drivers aren't aware of this law. Glad Adam is trying to educate his friends.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:42 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper
We've noticed more and more that people get into the left lane and just sit there. Even those who drive slowly.

turns out the authorities in New Jersey are doing something about it OR at least this one officer did. Be warned, contains some NSFW language

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKOJJzMDHjI&feature=player_embedded[/media]
Old 05-16-2011, 04:27 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 4,003 Likes on 2,669 Posts

for a long time, Vermont had a "keep right" law.
My wife had a college room mate who's Dad taught her that "they should help enforce the speed limit law"
of course this entailed sitting in the left lane, at the speed limit on cruise control.

eventually, the old man got cited for failure to keep right.
I at the news.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what flunked out the Barney Fife wannabee. Was he physically unfit, or mentally deficient. He obviously wanted a career in law enforcement but couldn't make the grade.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:29 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 823 Likes on 489 Posts

I despite getting stuck in the left lane behind some lamebrain idiot who is determined to cruise along at 45 mph. I can feel my bp rise with every inch I drive! Now that I reside in a retirement mecca there are more and more of those left lane drivers than I can even count. I hope when I get so old that I'm only comfortable creeping along at 45 or less that I'll have the sense to just turn in my license.

Quick Reply: Love It