S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Looking for a city to retire

Old 01-18-2005, 04:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Looking for a city to retire

Hi all,

Any tips on good places to retire?

The wife and I think it's about time to start looking into leaving New Hampshire after we retire in 2 to 3 years. Actually, it not so much retiring but the company and job going away.

We will probably want to stay somewhere on the east coast but in a more temperate climate.

Florida and the gated community life don't appeal. I like the east coast of North Carolina but am concerned about being washed away every few years.

We have come up with some items:
Smaller city - maybe 20K to 50K?
Within a hour or so from a major city.
Within a hour or so drive to the ocean.
Reasonable selection of things to do (movies, restaurants, etc.).
Affordable housing (150-200K if even possible?) with some land to build a small garage to play with my cars.
Minimum tax impact.

So any ideas?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 01-18-2005, 04:29 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,956 Likes on 1,749 Posts

Well, I'm always selling Eastern North Carolina, since New Bern is the place I would like to be. Small, southern town, but fairly close to larger, more cosmopolitan cities, like Greenville and Wilmington. And on the water, which is important to me. Two rivers (the Neuse and Trent) come together there, so lots of boating opportunities on the rivers, sound and ocean. The beach is only about 30 miles away. My parents have decided to move to Melbourne, FL soon, which is where my sister lives. But Florida does not hold much appeal for me.

Edit - Housing there is nearly half of the cost here in DC, but it is not really cheap either. I am checking into some new condos that are going to be built on the water right in town - I expect a nice one with water view will probably cost about $250K. Haven't seen the plans or pricing yet. If you don't want waterfront, the price is much lower, of course. Houses range anywhere from $150-$500K.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:32 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hilton Head, Charleston or Myrtle Beach South Carolina. Moderate winters but you still get to enjoy a change of seasons. If you don't want to be right on the beach there are several towns inland. Do you like golf?
Old 01-18-2005, 04:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need to run over to the "Your Home Town" thread and check out some of those towns. There's one that Uppitychick lives in called Americus, GA that may meet most of your requirements.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:59 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

I'd check out Sebring Florida. Rolling hills lots of lakes still pretty reasonable prices, not on a freeway.

fltsfshr
Old 01-18-2005, 06:10 AM

We have Yankee retirees moving in by the busload down here--but I'm not complaining because they're good for business!

I'm in Greenville, SC, which is in the Upstate, or Piedmont region, of the state. The Upstate has green, rolling hills that eventually turn into the Blue Ridge. We are close to Asheville, NC, Charlotte, NC and the Blue Ridge Parkway. We are fairly close to Atlanta, GA, Knoxville, TN, and the coast. We have much better weather than the coast, though.

Keowee Key in Salem, SC is a lakeside community that is just beautiful. In fact, we have serveral retired clients who live out there.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:32 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jmc1971,Jan 18 2005, 10:10 AM
We have Yankee retirees moving in by the busload down here--but I'm not complaining because they're good for business!

I'm in Greenville, SC, which is in the Upstate, or Piedmont region, of the state. The Upstate has green, rolling hills that eventually turn into the Blue Ridge. We are close to Asheville, NC, Charlotte, NC and the Blue Ridge Parkway. We are fairly close to Atlanta, GA, Knoxville, TN, and the coast. We have much better weather than the coast, though.

Keowee Key in Salem, SC is a lakeside community that is just beautiful. In fact, we have serveral retired clients who live out there.
Julie,

How is the weather in Greenville better than the coast? Do you mean it's not as humid in the summer? In the winter it's colder isn't it? I'm just curious.

You're about 4 hours from the beach no?
Old 01-18-2005, 09:10 AM

I think it's way too hot and humid in Greenville, nevermind the coast! But I'm biased--I love the mountains and cold weather and just hate the heat and humidity.

In all actuality, we are just a little cooler and a bit less humid in the summers. I doubt most snowbirds would notice the difference--even though I do. Winters are mild all over the state. Greenville averages in the 40s for winter months and in the low to mid 80s for summer months. The coast is unpleasant to me in the summers, but it's great in the fall and winter!

Distance to the coast depends on where you're going. I'm about 3 hours from Charleston. Hilton Head is a bit futher. I don't go to Myrtle, but it's a long way and a crappy drive.

As far as the coast goes, I can take it or leave it. I can be in the mountains in almost no time.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:30 AM

Try the Hill Country in Texas. It is an area between Austin and San Antonio. San Marcos is about the half way point. Affordable housing, not far from either Austin or San Antonio, mild weather and no state income tax in Texas.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:00 PM

Can you discuss estimating housing costs (3 bedroom/2 car garage) when recommending geographical areas?
Thanks.....

Quick Reply: Looking for a city to retire