S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

A little bird problem

Old 05-14-2007, 12:49 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,490 Likes on 1,159 Posts
Default A little bird problem

I know that in the scheme of things this isn't a major problem, but I'm wondering if any of you have had a similar problem and how you resolved it.

We have a two car garage, and of course my S2000 lives in one of them. I share the other garage with my wife so her Civic and my Si each gets to sleep in the garage a few nights a week. We have just enough room on the skirt outside of the garage to park two cars, so who ever's car is not in the garage gets to park there, and my son parks his car there too. The driveway and skirt is lined with trees.

The problem is that somewhere, in one of the trees, a family of robins has built their nest. I don't mind that as they were here long before we were, and besides, I like trees and nature and birds. None the less, one of the robins has taken to perching on the rear view mirrors of the cars parked on the skirt. I wouldn't even mind that except that it spends a good part of the day relieving itself all over the car. After the car has been parked outside for only a few hours, it is all coated in bird droppings. So much, infact, that I have to hose the car off before I can use it. I had the Si parked outside yesterday and I actually had to wash it twice today just to clean the bird droppings off. (I'd post pictures, but its really disgusting.) It is amazing how much waste a little bird can generate.

Anyway, my question is this, what can I do to solve the problem. Someone suggested a pellet gun, but I don't really want to do that. I was thinking about a scarecrow, but we have wind chimes out there and it doesn't seem to bother the bird. Is there some sort of spray or powder that will repel birds? Any suggestions?
Old 05-14-2007, 01:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper,May 14 2007, 01:49 PM
The problem is that somewhere, in one of the trees, a family of robins has built their nest. I don't mind that as they were here long before we were, and besides, I like trees and nature and birds. None the less, one of the robins has taken to perching on the rear view mirrors of the cars parked on the skirt.

Anyway, my question is this, what can I do to solve the problem. Someone suggested a pellet gun, but I don't really want to do that.
You could just destroy the nest. The birds might move on. Otherwise it's probably live with it or go for the pellet gun (assuming you are a good shot).

One other option would be to put a bunch of small nails through some sort of fabric and then use a rubber band or otherwise attach it on to the mirror when you park the car. In other words, make it something the birds don't want to perch on.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:26 PM

Received 467 Likes on 333 Posts

Speaking of robins, we actually have nest on top of our entry lamp. I peeked in and found three blue eggs. I didn't want to disturb them and after couple of weeks, I peeked again and they've hatched and were sleeping soundly. I am waiting until they are somewhat grown and once they are able to fly, I am going to dismantle the nest so that they won't be using it again and build their nest elsewhere.

But in your case, when the robins build their nests in your trees, there is not much you can do other than trim the branches so you've got some clearance or you may have to destroy the nests.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not cover the mirrors with colored plastic bags that you could pull off and stash in the glove box?
Old 05-14-2007, 01:42 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 809 Likes on 484 Posts

Is there someplace near the driveway that you can put one of those plastic owls that people often use to keep birds away?

Owl Bird Deterrant
Old 05-14-2007, 01:57 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,490 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Mike,

We don't know where the nest is. We live in a very heavily wooded area and there are lots of trees all around. I do like the idea of putting spikes through a cloth strap and tieing it to the mirror.

Barbara,

We tried putting plastic shopping bags on the mirrors. We thought that would work too. The birds started to purch on the door where the window is.

John,

As I told Mike, we live in a wooded area and we can't find the nest.

Val

I'm going to try that next. Actually someone on S2KCA suggested hanging old CD's from a tree. I think I'm going to try that with the plastic owl.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by valentine,May 14 2007, 02:42 PM
Is there someplace near the driveway that you can put one of those plastic owls that people often use to keep birds away?
IMO, birds are too dumb (or too smart) to be fooled by scarecrows and such. If it doesn't move, they assume it's not a threat. But hey, prove me wrong and I'll be happy for you.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:03 PM

Received 1,103 Likes on 699 Posts

Rob,
birds like mirrors. My parakeet used to regurgitate on a mirror trying to feed it's image. Make sure the mirrors are covered.
Those big fake owls don't work. I have CDs in my vineyard, but not sure they help. Some are old tax program updates, so maybe the birds will get bored, and fall on the ground.
Do you have an old sheet you can just throw over the whole car, then toss in the trunk?
Good luck.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try some vaseline on the mirror mount ( if they use the same place all the time). Birds hate it because they have way of cleaning their feet.
Put out some cat food to attrack a feral cat; just enough to keep him/her there but not enough to fill them up. Could other undesired consequences. Good luck. The plastic bag trick sounds good.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:11 PM

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I had a similar problem Birds trying to build a nest in my garage.
I bought an $8.00 plastic owl from Walmart and put in in a prominent place so that the bird will see it when it flies in. Problem cured.

Quick Reply: A little bird problem