S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

On line bill pay

Old 12-07-2006, 02:45 PM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey8484,Dec 7 2006, 09:23 AM
No, I'm not into that one yet.

I do do some online banking to transfer money from savings to checking, etc. and I'm addicted to my ATM card. I rarely write checks except to pay bills.
Same here, I guess we're in the minority Lainey.
Levi
Old 12-07-2006, 03:59 PM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Does anyone else have a credit card that pays cash instead of rewards?
My old credit card paid 1% up until a year ago and they decided to pay only rewards; clock radio's, watches, etc. . That's when I found a local bank with the 1% to 4% cash rewards. If your going to buy it, you might as well receive something back.

The card pays at least 1% on everything
2% on food purchases.
3% on theatre and best of all
4% on gasoline purchases.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:05 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,490 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by Jet sitter,Dec 7 2006, 07:59 PM
Does anyone else have a credit card that pays cash instead of rewards?
My old credit card paid 1% up until a year ago and they decided to pay only rewards; clock radio's, watches, etc. . That's when I found a local bank with the 1% to 4% cash rewards. If your going to buy it, you might as well receive something back.

The card pays at least 1% on everything
2% on food purchases.
3% on theatre and best of all
4% on gasoline purchases.
My Discover Platinum and Discover cards both pay cash back.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:12 PM

-------------------------------------

Rob,

What percentage do your cards pay?
Old 12-07-2006, 04:21 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Jet sitter,Dec 7 2006, 08:12 PM
-------------------------------------

Rob,

What percentage do your cards pay?
It depends on the purchase and if there is any promotion. I think the Discover Platinum is paying (generally) 1.75% and I think the Discover is paying 1%.

Generally, I don't take the money. Instead I log onto the Discover website and apply the money to the bill. I do this every few months.

I also have and American Express card through Costco. It costs me $40.00 per year, but includes the $40.00 membership fee to Costco. Every February they send me a check for my cashback to be used at Costco. They don't give cashback on everything only selected stores (including Costco), and depending on the time of year and if there is a promotion going on I get anywhere from 1 to 2%. Sometimes there is a "double percentage" bonus promo.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:28 PM

My credit card is with National City bank. They may not have the same promotion everywhere, but for Kentucky it is as I mentioned. NO fee's and they send you a check when you accumulate $100.00
Old 12-07-2006, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildncrazy,Dec 7 2006, 09:18 AM
Owning a mortgage company I get to see a lot of people's credit.

One overriding issue I see is with online bill paying. It seems it doesn't work a large enough percentage of the time to create lots of credit issues.
Interesting comment. Have been using Quicken to schedule and up load payments. We have been doing this for years and have not had an issue. Works great especially when you are on vacation or away from home for an extended period of time.
Are the issues you see with a specific back or software?
Old 12-07-2006, 05:54 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Wildncrazy,Dec 7 2006, 10:18 AM
Owning a mortgage company I get to see a lot of people's credit.

One overriding issue I see is with online bill paying. It seems it doesn't work a large enough percentage of the time to create lots of credit issues.

The biggest issue I hear is that you have no way to prove you tried to pay the bill before the due date.
I find this interesting too. I've been banking online with Commerce Bank for about a year and a half. In the beginning I had a little problem as some of the payments that I posted were dropped and not paid, but I tend to check the payments every few days and caught it in time before any harm was done. I started keeping a spreadsheet of all of my payments and the day that Commerce (using their history screen) says it was paid. This way I'll know if a payment was dropped. In the last year, I haven't had any problems with the system, and highly recommend it.

Please understand, that online bill paying does not take the place of good record keeping. You still have to maintain your own check register and reconcile your account every month. The only difference is that you no longer have to write out and mail the check. Do not let electronic bill pay lull you into letting your guard down.

As an aside, I have found Commerce to be a very consumer oriented bank with a very good customer service department. They are very good at solving problems and are willing to stand behind their customers.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:03 PM

At my bank I immediately see a tracking number when I pay a bill. When I check the next day I see a note that the payment was sent and within that day, or certainly by the next I receive a processed note.

I have had only one problem and that is because my credit union which I sometimes transfer money to has to have the check physically mailed and this takes an additional week or so. Now, I send the check myself when I want to send money to the CU.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:09 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Jet sitter,Dec 7 2006, 10:03 PM
At my bank I immediately see a tracking number when I pay a bill. When I check the next day I see a note that the payment was sent and within that day, or certainly by the next I receive a processed note.
Commerce instituted something similar. Apparently it was a problem for a lot of people, but I have to respect the fact that they acted quickly and didn't ignore the problem. I've had no problems since.

The one thing that I won't do is allow for automatic withdrawls. Perhaps I'm a bit old fashioned, but I want to know when money is being taken from my account. I want to be the one to initiate the transaction.

Quick Reply: On line bill pay