S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

On line bill pay

Old 12-07-2006, 05:18 AM

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts
Default On line bill pay

With all of this geek/tech talk, I was wondering if anyone is using on-line bill pay.

I started about a year ago, and I do love the fact that I no longer have to write many checks. I pay my bills on-line with ACH/direct deposit to the creditor. I use it for very nearly all bills except my wife's car payment, because they want to charge an extra 20/month for this service. What is most strange about this is it's the same bank that we have our mortgage with and there is no surcharge for it.

Anybody else?
Old 12-07-2006, 05:23 AM

Received 3,185 Likes on 1,841 Posts

No, I'm not into that one yet.

I do do some online banking to transfer money from savings to checking, etc. and I'm addicted to my ATM card. I rarely write checks except to pay bills.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Owning a mortgage company I get to see a lot of people's credit.

One overriding issue I see is with online bill paying. It seems it doesn't work a large enough percentage of the time to create lots of credit issues.

The biggest issue I hear is that you have no way to prove you tried to pay the bill before the due date.

A recent 30 day late on your credit is worse than a 90 day late 2-3 years ago so this can make for serious issues when buying a house (or car).

A sis in law who is over the accounting dept of a bank also says to NEVER have auto draft accounts to pay bills either, except for house payments.

She says she sees all kinds of issues with that as well. Especially insurance companies. They sometimes bill multiple times a month.

There are major big time federal issues with home loans so that apparently keeps them straight.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

100% of my bills are on automated pay, and it does not cost me anything. I do change passwords often.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:24 AM

95% of my expenses are charged to my credit card, and I'll do a manual on-line payment for that after reconciling my statement (Quicken be praised!). If someone tries to double-charge me, it's just one phone call to my bank...

The best of both worlds. Plus, I get miles.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:30 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 809 Likes on 484 Posts

I've been using it for about a year and never had any probs. I monitor the account frequently to be sure everything's in order. I think you get a lot better service if the creditor has some sort of setup with your bank. No one's ever charged me anything for paying by billpay. Most of the time it only takes a couple of clicks to pay everything and I seldom have to write checks. There are only a couple of places that I'd prefer to write checks for and have even used online billpay to send birthday checks to my kids.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was an early adopter, working as a Merchant Mariner, online bill pay was a godsend, I was a beta user with Nations (Now B of A) several years ago. While going on some cruises as long as 6 months duration, I would just set up autopay with everything. I have only had one problem in about 5 years with car loan payment not being received, and I got it straightened out in a few minutes on the phone.
I have not written a check yet this year.
Cheers,
Mike
Old 12-07-2006, 07:09 AM

I've been using it for many years. Bank of America has been very good with their stuff. They just recently moved from a guarenteed 2 day delivery to next day. I also have a Bank of America Credit card and that has a guarenteed same day delivery. As long as you use the supplied dates for when the delivery is to take place (It handles weekends and holidays) you won't get hit with late fees. Anytime I have had one has been my own fault. Virtually all my bills are now e-bills and I don't even get paper versions. I just get an email when they are available.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:55 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,949 Likes on 1,745 Posts

I use autopay for every bill except my Visa card. Works great.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:02 AM

Member (Premium)

Received 139 Likes on 87 Posts

I pay most of my recurring bills online using a credit card (want the points), then I pay my credit card online. I also use my banks online bill pay for some.

I've never had a problem with positng and make sure I write down the confirmation numbers.

Quick Reply: On line bill pay