S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners
View Poll Results: What is the best way to handle left lane hogs?
Don't - they are obeying the speed limit, so should you.
0%
Grin and bear it.
5.71%
Signal left and hope they get the hint.
0%
Flash your brights.
28.57%
Tailgate until they move right.
5.71%
Be patient and wait until you can pass them on the right.
48.57%
Pass them on the right, then cut in close to teach them a lesson.
11.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Left Lane Hogs

Old 02-09-2005, 09:42 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000 Driver' date='Feb 9 2005, 01:26 PM

Hey S2000Driver

Feel free to start posting some of that F1 stuff in here, I missed your commentary and posts.

fltsfshr
Old 02-09-2005, 10:00 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,951 Likes on 1,746 Posts

^ Yeah...and I'm impressed with all those gold stars!!
Old 02-09-2005, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by paS2K' date='Feb 9 2005, 04:08 AM
"Pass Left. Keep Right. It's the Law"

Do you see these in other states? Not that anyone obeys this warning...
Same in WA and OR, and no one moves. Think also in FL, but been 10 years since I lived there.

But I have had folks move over on those 2 lane twisties and let me by. Now that is consideration, always give them a

This is the rule in Europe also, and a flash will get slow traffic out of your way.

jim
Old 02-09-2005, 10:11 AM

In VA just run them off the road and give them a wedgie - the cops will give them a ticket for having their under garmets exposed
Old 02-09-2005, 10:21 AM

Yes how very annoying, the left lane here in Atlanta has now become the cell phone lane. Phone permantly stuck to ear, while driving a giant SUV or Volvo wagon compelte with Kerry-Edwards bumper sticker and a 200 lbs soccer mom weaving back and forth while beating the kid in the back seat, totally oblivious to all other traffic and clogging up the fast lane.

I just gear down and zoom by in what ever lane necessary it's not worth the time or effort to get angry they aren't going to change. Love the sign book maybe get one for my dad.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by jyoungken' date='Feb 9 2005, 01:08 PM
But I have had folks move over on those 2 lane twisties and let me by. Now that is consideration, always give them a
That's a rule in Texas (not a law, but in these cases you won't get ticketed for driving on the shoulder)...if you're on a 2-lane road and traffic is stacking up behind you, you pull over to the shoulder to let them pass...usually it doesn't take traffic stacking up - just 1 vehicle that looks like it wants to get past. It's really nice....it blew me away when I first moved here. I think I saw somebody else do it once when I lived in another state.... I asked my husband if he thought they were having car trouble
Old 02-09-2005, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by matt_inva' date='Feb 8 2005, 08:20 PM
BTW, in Maryland they are now using the traffic cams to stop "agressive driving" and flashing one's lights is considered "agressive behaviour"?
Acutally, in Maryland, in order to cut down on road rage, flashing your lights at the person in front of you means that they legally have to move over. This is so that people won't stay in the left lane and piss off the people behind them and get them riled up. I don't know whether or not I agree with this law, because it seems to promote speeding. I think it's all the of politics.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by rjosey8385' date='Feb 9 2005, 11:55 AM
That's a rule in Texas (not a law, but in these cases you won't get ticketed for driving on the shoulder)...if you're on a 2-lane road and traffic is stacking up behind you, you pull over to the shoulder to let them pass...usually it doesn't take traffic stacking up - just 1 vehicle that looks like it wants to get past. It's really nice....it blew me away when I first moved here. I think I saw somebody else do it once when I lived in another state.... I asked my husband if he thought they were having car trouble
In Oregon, it is 5 vehicles and you are obligated to move over and let them pass when it's safe.

Just the past weekend I was on my favorite twisty road and had 2 cars move over to let me pass. Top down motoring at it's best.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by zcarcrazy' date='Feb 8 2005, 05:04 PM
Hey, this is a good one. When you try to pass on the right the person speeds up, don't this just piss you off
Finally had this happen to me on my way to work Friday. I wasn't downshifting, because I didn't realize he was speeding up when I tried to go around him. I got two opportunities that looked good, and it happened each time.

So there I was, cursing the guy for blocking me, and I notice one of those big, obnoxious SUVs closing rapidly in the rear view mirror. Never have I been so glad to see one of those guys!

So I pull over into one of the center lanes, and the SUV pulls up behind the guy who had been blocking me, following him at a distance of half an SUV length or so. I had to laugh as the guy got out of the left lane right quick!
Old 02-13-2005, 06:37 PM

I really try not to tailgate, it is just too dangerous. Flashing lights and what not just tends to piss people off. I like to wait until I am in front of them to piss them off /nod.

I wait patiently and when they are clear to move to the right lane and they don't move over, they get passed on the right. I normally get about 1/2 car length in front of them, then stare back with a disapproving glare that even your mother would applaud (unless the right lane is closing up of course).

Quick Reply: Left Lane Hogs