S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners
View Poll Results: What is the best way to handle left lane hogs?
Don't - they are obeying the speed limit, so should you.
0%
Grin and bear it.
5.71%
Signal left and hope they get the hint.
0%
Flash your brights.
28.57%
Tailgate until they move right.
5.71%
Be patient and wait until you can pass them on the right.
48.57%
Pass them on the right, then cut in close to teach them a lesson.
11.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Left Lane Hogs

Old 02-08-2005, 03:49 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,949 Likes on 1,745 Posts

I couldn't pick just one. I come up behind and hope he/she gets the hint. If not, I flash my lights. That works most of the time. As a last resort, I pass on the right.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:58 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

You haven't seen left hand lane hogs untill you've been in Florida.

I attrribute it to two things.

First the gas shortage in the 70's. Before that the left lane was always the fast lane. Then it became "patriotic" to go 55 in the left lane and yell and scream at anyone going faster. People learned to be annoying and it gives them a feeling of security and power.

The second thing is advancing age and a preference to move their arms head and neck as little as possible. If you drive in the left lane, you don't have to brake for people turning right. If you drive in the left lane you don't have to worry about people wanting to turn right. It's also easier to see the solid white line on the left that you're following because you have cataracts.

My solution is to pretend they're all cones and practice slow motion autox from the middle lane.

fltsfshr
Old 02-08-2005, 04:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fltsfshr' date='Feb 8 2005, 06:58 AM
My solution is to pretend they're all cones and practice slow motion autox from the middle lane.
Yeah, but what a mess when you run over the corner of one and you end up dragging it around until it breaks loose (danged 2-second penalties)
Old 02-08-2005, 05:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always wanted one of those "Honey, I shrunk the kids" machines mounted in my fender. I'd zap 'em, wait 'til they were small enough to drive over, and be on my way.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:21 AM

What?! No "Death Ray" option? It's similar to Dave's "Honey, I shrunk the SUV" beam, except it's enviromentally friendly and leaves no debris to litter up the roads.

Actually, I generally just wait patiently until they move over or, as a last resort, pass them on the right if it's safe.

I would save the Death Ray for the nitwits who block intersections.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:19 AM

I voted for "Be patient". But to tell the truth (come on admit it) I sometimes resort to options 5 and/or 7. I don't flash my lights as that is a give away to the officer that is just ahead (never fails).
Old 02-08-2005, 12:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Light Anti-tank Missile
Old 02-08-2005, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Kyras' date='Feb 7 2005, 08:54 PM
Oops. I made a booboo. I voted the last one because it made me , and then I saw the one I really do.... be patient and then pass them on the right when it's safe to do so.
I put in an extra vote for "be patient and pass on right when safe" for you. I hadn't voted because I was undecided ... that's why I posted the poll.

In my ideal world, you could flash your brights and people would take it as a hint, but I'm worried that too many might take offense instead. It's nice to hear that it works some places. I've tried it twice since I got the S2000, and in each case the person edged over to the very right side of their lane, but didn't actually move over to the next lane ... weird. Okay, maybe the one that was on the phone wasn't competent enough to change lanes one handed, but what about the other one?

The funny thing is, back when I first got a car, I didn't have this problem. I drove around in the left lane at 90 (hey, this was in my extreme pre-vint days), and people would always see me coming up and move right. Maybe seeing someone approaching so fast in one's peripheral vision, where the mirror is, triggers predator avoidance instincts. For some reason I didn't get any tickets, either.

Then after six months, I got slightly more mature, dropped back to 70, and got two speeding tickets right in a row....
Old 02-08-2005, 03:43 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,482 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I notice people tend to move over more often when I'm driving my S2000 than when I'm driving my Odyssey. I think they see the hottie car and think, "Wow, I shouldn't be holding up that cool car!", and move outta my way.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:59 PM

usually the guy behind me with the lights and noise clears my path for me although sometimes we get to swap positions.

Quick Reply: Left Lane Hogs