S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

KIDS PLAYING A DEADLY GAME

Old 11-17-2005, 12:28 PM

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Default KIDS PLAYING A DEADLY GAME

This is something I just spotted. I post it here in case you may know someone with children in this age group. I was shocked when I learned of it. we all played risky games as kids but nothing like this I hope.
--------------------------------------------------------

Nov. 21, 2005 issue - A gifted student and a soccer star, Colin Russell, 13, finished his homework, played with his dog and delved into a novel one afternoon this September. After dinner that evening, the Tacoma, Wash., eighth grader, whose mother and father are physicians, stepped into his bedroom closet, put a rope around his neck, tightened it and strangled to death.

Story continues below ↓
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was no suicide. Colin was playing a "pass out" game that has become frighteningly common around the country. Children, usually of middle-school age, choke themselves with a rope or belt, or have someone else do it, and then loosen the grip as they begin to lose consciousness
Old 11-17-2005, 01:30 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,482 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I've heard of that but don't know any kids that do it.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Years ago another, similar variant was in vogue: Kids would hyperventilate for a while, then someone would grab them from the back and hold them tight so they would not breathe, this also causes temporary unconsciousness if done hard enough. Needless to say, risky too.
This, however, is far more dangerous.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:38 PM

Received 241 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by dangarza,Nov 17 2005, 07:02 PM
Years ago another, similar variant was in vogue: Kids would hyperventilate for a while, then someone would grab them from the back and hold them tight so they would not breathe, this also causes temporary unconsciousness if done hard enough. Needless to say, risky too.
This, however, is far more dangerous.
We used to do that when we were about 12 or so. Risky? Probably somewhat but I am not sure how risky. Any medically trained folks want to answer that?
Old 11-18-2005, 05:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Erotic asphyxiation - it's a pretty common technique for enhancing the effects of orgasm. Back when I was in grade school (1975), we had a kid whose older brother died doing this in a closet.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SheDrivesIt,Nov 17 2005, 05:38 PM
We used to do that when we were about 12 or so. Risky? Probably somewhat but I am not sure how risky. Any medically trained folks want to answer that?
Well I am a child neurologist, so I should be qualified to answer that.
The answer is yes, a bit risky. Not terribly so if you are otherwise healthy, but it could trigger seizures (convulsions) in individuals so predisposed, as well as cardiac arrhythmias (potentially more dangerous) again, only if the child has a genetic predisposition.
Would I suggest to my eleven year old to try this for fun? Absolutely not.