S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Key West Photos

Old 03-21-2012, 07:40 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 825 Likes on 489 Posts

Beautiful pictures!!!! WOW. Glad you enjoyed your vacation and I can see the hunkster enjoyed it as well! LOL.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:16 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

[quote name='MsPerky' timestamp='1332284767' post='21528150']
One of the local residents and the aquarium. Chickens were brought over from Cuba many years ago for cock fighting. Now they just hang around town.

The Story of Clyde

Here’s the true story of where the Key West chickens came from. There’s always been chickens in Key West. They came with the sailors and the ships. They never had the status they have now until along came Clyde. Here’s his story.

Once upon a time on Duval Street was a bar called the Ugly Rooster. The rooster’s name was Clyde and he had full run of the place. He was the most popular rooster in Key West.

Then one day progress came and Hard Rock appeared. Instantly the rents on Duval St quadrupled and more. Soon Clyde was to be homeless.

Now a few blocks away is a restaurant made famous by Jimmy Buffett called Blue Heaven.

Blue Heaven is an outdoor place to eat under a large tree canopy. In the canopy are several ex- military parachutes used for shade. A couple local chickens had taken to roosting in the trees and sliding down the parachutes in the morning to the amazement of the tourists having breakfast.

Disgruntled at losing his business but wanting the best for Clyde, his owner took him to Blue Heaven. Clyde now had a new place to live complete with chickens. Soon there were more chickens. They all liked to slide down the parachutes. Everyone took their pictures and fed them under the table.

It didn’t take long, pretty soon Clyde's progeny became famous and spread out all over the island. They’re still spreading.

Go Clyde Go where ever you are.

I swear this is a true story.

fltsfshr
Old 03-21-2012, 08:25 AM

Received 5,800 Likes on 3,419 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
And Dave - if you mean a tube top, my tube days are long over. Actually, I never wore those much. They are very unflattering IMO. Halter tops are much more attractive. More uplifting.
Meant to say "tub".
Old 03-21-2012, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
The Gardens Hotel where we stayed. Lovely, lovely place!

I have not been following your vacation details, but I do see several pictures of a cruise ship in this series. So can you please explain the relationship between the cruise ship and the hotel? If you are cruising, why are you staying in a hotel? And if you are not cruising, why the pictures of the ship?
Old 03-21-2012, 12:14 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,972 Likes on 1,758 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Originally Posted by MsPerky' timestamp='1332325544' post='21529328
And Dave - if you mean a tube top, my tube days are long over. Actually, I never wore those much. They are very unflattering IMO. Halter tops are much more attractive. More uplifting.
Meant to say "tub".
I'm not telling about the tub.

White - We were not on a cruise ship. Just took those pics because they were interesting photographically. At least I thought so. Especially the last one with the condos.

Robb - it is beautiful, but yes, it is also humid. There were breezes, though. Not so bad in March, but you probably would want to avoid the place in August. One interesting stat as far as temps go - the highest temp on record is 97 and the lowest 41.

One other interesting note - the +1 went running a few times. The first time he went around the island, not expecting it to take all that long. Well, it turned out to be quite awhile and he ran 13 miles - a half marathon!
Old 03-21-2012, 12:18 PM

Received 1,103 Likes on 699 Posts

Deb, did you notice the 4th butterfly picture it looks like a snake head at the tip of each wing?
Also what in the heck was that guy riding, coming out of the water? I've never seen anything like that.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:28 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,972 Likes on 1,758 Posts

^ That is a gorgeous giant moth! Very cool with the markings. I assume for protection in the wild. That guy was advertising some kind of jet propulsion ride. It was amazing how powerful those water jets were. At the other end of that hose was a small boatlike thing he towed around - I guess it was used to funnel the water into his jet pack.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:32 AM

Beautiful pics, Ms P. And oddly familiar.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:38 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 625 Likes on 377 Posts

Nice Photos, Deb!
Old 03-28-2012, 11:26 AM

Deb - I wish I knew you were down this way. It would have been good to see you and Vito. Great photos, I do love Key West and enjoying spending time there. Hope you got to see the Key West and the Mel Fisher Museum, and other tourist spots. Did you enjoy the Hemingway House?

Quick Reply: Key West Photos