S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Investment firms inviting you for dinner

Old 08-11-2009, 11:48 AM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Investment firms inviting you for dinner

I receive dinner invites 4 or 5 times a year from investment firms. They obviously want you to listen to their marketing pitch and normally I just throw them away, but today I received one that invites the wife and I to one of the most expensive restaurants in the area. I'm thinking about going and coming down with chest pains after the meal. Has anyone else received these invites and have you attended?
Old 08-11-2009, 11:58 AM

Received 3,223 Likes on 1,865 Posts

No invites. I'm not in their "league."
Old 08-11-2009, 12:07 PM

^ I don't know where they get my name, but probably my bank.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:23 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,669 Likes on 860 Posts

I receive a couple per year, but like you, throw the invitation into the trash. My general feeling is that these investment "advisors" are the equivalent of used car salesmen.

Your approach about feigning a heart attack sounds like a good way to get a free meal!
Old 08-11-2009, 12:27 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 825 Likes on 489 Posts

We get those things all the time. So far we've never gone, but it certainly has been tempting. The free dinners are at realllllly nice and expensive restaurants. We just feel like we'd kind of be trapped by the sales pitch and unable to enjoy that nice dinner. We've always shredded the invites.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to be involved in throwing these events. I can tell you they are usually extremely "low key" and no pressure. You will have to communicate with the representatives about investing (well you don't have to, but it would be awkward if you didn't) but other than that I wouldn't be too worried.

If you have absolutely zero intention of using their services though then it's just a decision which rests on your conscience. Is a $250 meal worth it? If you have enough money to get these invites, probably not, unless you are genuinely interested.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:58 PM

I visited Orlando, Florida several years go. The week I selected, it rained every day. I was leaving my hotel one morning when a real estate company handed me tickets for my family to attend a property pitch. I had the meal and afterwards we were all put at separate tables with a salesperson selling the properties. I tried to be courteous and say that I wasn't in the market for property at the time, but they wouldn't let you leave. It was like the gestapo. Finally, I went into an act where I began, to my wife's chagrin, saying that I was a failure. That I wasn't sure that I had enough money to buy gasoline for the return trip to Connecticut. They quickly hustled me and my family out of the room.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by LostMotion,Aug 11 2009, 12:54 PM
I used to be involved in throwing these events. I can tell you they are usually extremely "low key" and no pressure. You will have to communicate with the representatives about investing (well you don't have to, but it would be awkward if you didn't) but other than that I wouldn't be too worried.

If you have absolutely zero intention of using their services though then it's just a decision which rests on your conscience. Is a $250 meal worth it? If you have enough money to get these invites, probably not, unless you are genuinely interested.
Good point! Where do they obtain your information?
Old 08-11-2009, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by valentine,Aug 11 2009, 12:27 PM
We get those things all the time. So far we've never gone, but it certainly has been tempting. The free dinners are at realllllly nice and expensive restaurants. We just feel like we'd kind of be trapped by the sales pitch and unable to enjoy that nice dinner. We've always shredded the invites.
I probably won't go, but if I do, I'll let you know the outcome.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:54 PM

Received 1,103 Likes on 699 Posts

I get them all the time, but being a CPA they want me to attend, then send them clients. They are definitely NOT like the time-share pitches which are high pressure. You might even learn something.
A response a friend of mine uses at the time-share pitches is that he stays at very high-end places and the XYZResort they are selling just doesn't measure up. What can they say?

Quick Reply: Investment firms inviting you for dinner