S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The Inaugural Ball

Old 01-14-2005, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by valentine,Jan 14 2005, 06:13 AM
I thought Hillary was going to fix that and she disappointed me . She totally forgot all about it or did she? Rob what's the skinny on that?
The skinny on that? The insurance companies mounted a massive public relations scare campaign and derailed any efforts at real reform. The only thing they were going to accept was mandatory insuarance purchased individually. Kind of like Massachusetts' mandatory car insuarance which is one of the great messes.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:13 PM

Love this thread. Who'da thunk that we'd be talking about the 'food police' when considering the cost of inauguration?

Like it or not, inauguarations and all the fluff that comes with it are customary. Sure, I'll be miffed about the cost when the Democrat becomes president, but I don't mind it now.

It seems like a media "push-button" issue--they can get half the country riled up every four years, not matter who won.

Personally, I think a certain amount of the pomp and circumstance is needed. However, when we talk about how much Bush has increased gov't spending, I get a knot in my stomach.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by ajlafleche,Jan 14 2005, 12:18 PM
Now you got me singing "I've got big OO"
At least someone likes AC/DC
Old 01-15-2005, 10:49 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,161 Posts

It's almost as if they could read our minds. From today's New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/16/politics...5Dou2A79l7BE+QQ
Old 01-15-2005, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by cordycord,Jan 14 2005, 02:13 PM
Personally, I think a certain amount of the pomp and circumstance is needed. However, when we talk about how much Bush has increased gov't spending, I get a knot in my stomach.
Bush has actually left total spending about the same - while increasing defense spending, he was quietly cutting nondefense spending.

What Bush has increased are the deficits. That has largely been the result of cutting taxes while leaving spending constant.

Of course, the biggest deficit is the hidden deficit in Social Security, which is accruing obligations much faster than it is taking in taxes. Maybe one of the reasons preVintage folks sometimes seem disrespectful is that they know us Vintage folks are scheduled to use up all of their Social Security taxes, leaving them with nothing when they retire. Forget health care - if you want to fix a real problem, try fixing Social Security.

As for the inaugural ball, I suspect this whole thread is sour grapes from people who don't dance! (Or maybe some dancers who didn't get invitations?)
Old 01-16-2005, 03:30 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

"Balls" said the Queen" If I had two I'd be King!"

If Hillary has 15 she'll be President.

Your thought for the day

fltsfshr
Old 01-16-2005, 08:26 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by charlie,Jan 13 2005, 05:22 PM
I will preface my statements by saying I voted for Bush and for the most part Republicans, although I consider myself conservative not neccesarily a Republican.

I am having a real issue with the Inaugural Ball. It will cost 30 million and IMO with our troops at war and young men dying the thought of having a big celebration is outragous. I would prefer he have a small reception for his main supporters and donate the rest of the money to the families of fallen soldiers.

I read in the paper about Laura Bushs' designer dress, their kids 15k outfits the bands , parties etc and to be honest kinda got sick to my stomach.

I wonder, am I the lone supporter of Bush that thinks this is not the proper thing to do while we are at war? I fear that on the day of the Inaugural many soldiers will be killed in a road side bomb and then you will see on the evening news GW dancing with his wife at a party smiling and celebrating, it is political suicide if you ask me I wonder what his advisors are thinking sometimes.

Your thoughts
But excess and waste are part of the "governmental american way" The moneys should be donated to the families of our fallen soldiers and/or relief efforts for the devastation in Asia. Too waste all this money at a time when so many are struggling in our country (and worldwide), just shows the rich get richer mentality we have and how it will never waiver It really does not give much hope to the shrinking middle class and the forgotten about poor.

Pomp and Circumstance SMANCE I say! Be a trendsetter Master King Bush and break the mold! We are the most dynamic county in the world! How about we think like that and break this wasteful tradition NOW! I refuse to watch any of these silly festivities!

FYI, I had to read your post 4 times Charlie, I thought for a second Jerry stole your password and posted under your name! We have rarely agreed on anything remotely political! That being said I you and your family!!
Old 01-17-2005, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by mikes2k,Jan 16 2005, 01:26 PM
FYI, I had to read your post 4 times Charlie, I thought for a second Jerry stole your password and posted under your name! We have rarely agreed on anything remotely political! That being said I you and your family!!
right back at ya big guy
Old 01-17-2005, 02:43 PM

The inaugural balls and parties are paid for with private donations. Even in "times like these" donors can spend their money any way they see fit, and I guess they wanna party. Apparently, despite current world and national events, they're not alone. People are still holding lavish weddings. Companies are still thowing big SuperBowl parties next month. All of Hollywood will be spending like drunken sailors for the upcoming Oscars. At least Laura Bush is buying her own ball gowns!

Because security (at all the events) will cost in the millions, I guess the swearing-in ceremony could be broadcast, but closed to the public. The parade could be cancelled. Fine by me. That would leave the usual security issues the President has when he attends any event. Limit him to just a couple of brief appearances and we could really get the cost down.

P.S. The balls are generally divided by states. The inauguration committee has sanctioned nine official balls. States will share with neighboring states. Ohio and Florida are the only two states that will hold inaugural balls by themselves. From what I've read, they're crowded, expensive, and not at all glamourous (the balls, that is. Not FL and OH. Although I guess the same could be said about them! ).
Old 01-17-2005, 04:03 PM

Received 518 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by valentine,Jan 13 2005, 08:34 PM
President Bill Clinton hosting a record 14 balls and 75,000 guests [/b]at his second inaugural. President George W. Bush hosted nine balls in 2001 with an estimated attendance of 35,000.
Rob,

When I read your post about this is what you expected I was thinking of the Clinton years as well.

With that stated: I agree that that is just pure opulence and it would be interesting to see if a President could transfer the money that was raised to a better cause.

Quick Reply: The Inaugural Ball