S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The Inaugural Ball

Old 01-14-2005, 05:13 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 824 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey8484,Jan 14 2005, 08:09 AM
And they have to start somewhere to fix the health insurance mess, why not now?
I thought Hillary was going to fix that and she disappointed me . She totally forgot all about it or did she? Rob what's the skinny on that?
Old 01-14-2005, 05:23 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

OH BOY HEALTH CARE

Do we really have a health crisis in this country or are we victims of the replacement of cigarette ads on tv with prescription drug ads.

How many people are running to the Doctor and taking pills because the media ads convince them they can't live without it. How many people are victims of media hypochondria?

I think there are a lot of factors at work here. I think there are many other ways to leave medical insurance in the private sector rather than another government social program.

fltsfshr
Old 01-14-2005, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sorry I just had to chime in here. How would you feel if you won the lottery? A little excited, perhaps.
What about if you won the last election and was about to become president of the US?

What is it that terrrorists all over the world in the sick little minds want to do to America?

They want to demoralize us. They want to see us hiding in our houses afraid to come out. They want our economy to fall, they want us on our toes. This ball is to show them that we and Mr. Bush are NOT afraid. Are NOT going to hide. Are NOT going to change our lifes. Why let them think that what they are doing is going to bring us down? If we do... they win.

simple as that.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:02 AM

Yes, we really are facing a health care crisis. Over the vast majority of human history, humans have not lived much past the age of forty. Aging and the diseases associated with senescence are relatively new phenomena, whereas in the past people generally died relatively young from infectious diseases and parasites. There were fewer incidences of senescence related diseases such as heart disease, cancer, Alzheimer's, etc.. The life expectancy (the age at which half the population still lives) of a human born in the U.S. in 1780 was 28 y.o.. The life expectancy of someone born in the U.S. in 1986 (the most recent figures that I have) is 71 y.o. for males and 78 y.o. for females.
Although we have the advancement of medicine, in part, to thank for our longevity, the field of medicine has failed to keep up with the resulting rate of ever increasing need.

Dean
Old 01-14-2005, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by as2k,Jan 14 2005, 10:36 AM
I am sorry I just had to chime in here. How would you feel if you won the lottery? A little excited, perhaps.
What about if you won the last election and was about to become president of the US?

What is it that terrrorists all over the world in the sick little minds want to do to America?

They want to demoralize us. They want to see us hiding in our houses afraid to come out. They want our economy to fall, they want us on our toes. This ball is to show them that we and Mr. Bush are NOT afraid. Are NOT going to hide. Are NOT going to change our lifes. Why let them think that what they are doing is going to bring us down? If we do... they win.

simple as that.
I could be wrong, but I don't believe that James and Dolly Madison foresaw our current situation in regards to terrorism when they initiated the tradition of inaugural balls.

Dean
Old 01-14-2005, 06:28 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by dean,Jan 14 2005, 11:02 AM
Yes, we really are facing a health care crisis. Over the vast majority of human history, humans have not lived much past the age of forty. Aging and the diseases associated with senescence are relatively new phenomena, whereas in the past people generally died relatively young from infectious diseases and parasites. There were fewer incidences of senescence related diseases such as heart disease, cancer, Alzheimer's, etc.. The life expectancy (the age at which half the population still lives) of a human born in the U.S. in 1780 was 28 y.o.. The life expectancy of someone born in the U.S. in 1986 (the most recent figures that I have) is 71 y.o. for males and 78 y.o. for females.
Although we have the advancement of medicine, in part, to thank for our longevity, the field of medicine has failed to keep up with the resulting rate of ever increasing need.

Dean
Dean I was at a seminar and met a VP from Merck. One of the things he told me was that statistically 95% of the money spent on your health occurs in your last 5 years.

Medicine has through vaccination helped extend that life expectancy average. So has technology and understanding of our environment. Waste management and clean water go a long way in helping that average as well.

And now with the invention of the "food police" as they rip cholesterol and fat from our right to purchase, we're going to grow even older.

fltsfshr
Old 01-14-2005, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by fltsfshr,Jan 14 2005, 11:28 AM
Dean I was at a seminar and met a VP from Merck. One of the things he told me was that statistically 95% of the money spent on your health occurs in your last 5 years.

Medicine has through vaccination helped extend that life expectancy average. So has technology and understanding of our environment. Waste management and clean water go a long way in helping that average as well.

And now with the invention of the "food police" as they rip cholesterol and fat from our right to purchase, we're going to grow even older.

fltsfshr
I'm not all that familiar with human development really, but I'm not surprised by that stat. Now, if I can only figure out which five years are my last, I can financially prepare for it.

I thought that cholesterol and fat were deemed to be acceptable during this silly low carb craze we seem to be going through at the moment.

Dean
Old 01-14-2005, 06:54 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by valentine,Jan 14 2005, 09:13 AM
I thought Hillary was going to fix that and she disappointed me . She totally forgot all about it or did she?
She did not forget it. If you look back, it was not passed in the first two years, as the economy was in recovery, and after the congress became Republican in 1994, Newtie and the Blowhards, refused to de anything about.

When Bill and Hilary tried to push health care reform, the Contract on America was being pushed and there was no way a Democratic president could push though something that the opposition didn't have the foresight to see.

As far as the inauguration, Charlie knows my feeling. As for all that think that pomp and circumstance is necessary, I have only one name to consider as we pi$$ away $30M on Jrs' party....Nero. Perhaps we need to get Jr a fiddle.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:00 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by dean,Jan 14 2005, 10:48 AM
I thought that cholesterol and fat were deemed to be acceptable during this silly low carb craze we seem to be going through at the moment.

Dean
For some people (me for one) sugars have proven to be much more toxic than fats or cholesterol. There is an interaction of foods in many people that even on a low fat diet, if starches/sugars are mixed in cholesterol can go up substatially. (this I know from personal experience, my triglicerides dropped 60% in 12 months when I limited my "white food" intake.)

Sorry Charlie, got off topic, you can smack me tomorrow.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by mns2k,Jan 14 2005, 04:49 AM
Everytime I see this topic it reminds me of the old AC/DC song.
Now you got me singing "I've got big OO"

Quick Reply: The Inaugural Ball