S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The Inaugural Ball

Old 01-13-2005, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Inaugural Ball

I will preface my statements by saying I voted for Bush and for the most part Republicans, although I consider myself conservative not neccesarily a Republican.

I am having a real issue with the Inaugural Ball. It will cost 30 million and IMO with our troops at war and young men dying the thought of having a big celebration is outragous. I would prefer he have a small reception for his main supporters and donate the rest of the money to the families of fallen soldiers.

I read in the paper about Laura Bushs' designer dress, their kids 15k outfits the bands , parties etc and to be honest kinda got sick to my stomach.

I wonder, am I the lone supporter of Bush that thinks this is not the proper thing to do while we are at war? I fear that on the day of the Inaugural many soldiers will be killed in a road side bomb and then you will see on the evening news GW dancing with his wife at a party smiling and celebrating, it is political suicide if you ask me I wonder what his advisors are thinking sometimes.

Your thoughts
Old 01-13-2005, 01:27 PM
lig
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

Charlie -

Even though you and I are generally 180 degrees apart on most issues - I agree with you wholeheartedly. It just seems to be so inappropriate to pi$$ all that money and time away on the inauguration when we have soldiers in harm's way and a disaster of epic proportions in SE Asia.

It does seem to be so self-indulgent and trivial given the times.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:04 PM

I have to agree. In light of everything going on, the inaugaral is in poor taste to say the least, but this administration has never been known for exercising self restraint.
Aside from the war itself and the tsunami tragedy, I think they would be particularly sensitive to public perceptions now that the search for WMDs has been officially ended. I won't tell you the findings so as not to spoil the surprise.

Dean
Old 01-13-2005, 02:08 PM

Received 1,103 Likes on 699 Posts

I agree too. If Bush would take the money for the ball and donate it to the tsumami victims, he would be remembered for a long time for that gesture. Maybe even some of his bashers would have to say it was a classy move.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:23 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,161 Posts

It can't be that you didn't expect this kind of self serving extravagance. I did.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:31 PM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

I guess I'm going to disagree. Pomp and Circumstance are an intregal part of politics both here and abroad. For Bush to creep back into office as some would suggest seems a little silly. No other President has done that.

I give the man and his party their due. They won. Let them celebrate their victory for all the world to see.

fltsfshr
Old 01-13-2005, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by fltsfshr,Jan 13 2005, 08:31 PM
I guess I'm going to disagree. Pomp and Circumstance are an intregal part of politics both here and abroad. For Bush to creep back into office as some would suggest seems a little silly. No other President has done that.

I give the man and his party their due. They won. Let them celebrate their victory for all the world to see.

fltsfshr
exactly what my wife said to me at dinner today... excellent point and prob right on spot, but it still does not sit well with me.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:34 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 824 Likes on 489 Posts

I will use this opportunity to simply post a little bit of an historical information about the balls. Personally, it is just a part of pomp and circumstance that accompanies the election of another President -- I have no real opinion either way -- It would be a nice gesture to donate the funds to victims of mudslides in California, floods in the Ohio River Valley and Nevada, tornadoes in Louisiana and Arkansas, or some other natural disaster, but I just don't think its going to happen:

Inaugural balls have long been a part of the celebration of the presidential inauguration and lend a celebratory flair to the week
Old 01-13-2005, 03:39 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,161 Posts

Not to argue with your otherwise excellent history, but I thought that Ronald and Nancy Reagan, prior to Clinton, returned the Inaugural Ball to extravagance following Carter's low key parties. Clinton, as I recall, had more, but Reagan's were show stoppers.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:47 PM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

Thanks Valentine that was interesting reading.

It mentioned Carter pretzels and peanuts....lol

I wonder what kind of food they serve at the banquets etc. Are we talking peacock tongues and beluga caviar or typical fund raiser chicken cordon bleu.

In light of Clinton's party I guess I would have to say the GW is being conservative in his inauguration.

Quick Reply: The Inaugural Ball