S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

I'm so glad Ilive in the South!

Old 12-31-2006, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a free move to anywhere in the world. I retired up North in northern Ohio for a number of right reasons. We have a bunch of regrets, and we spend a lot of time and money getting out of here during the 7 months of less than desirable weather. My advice to others is to think about it a lot, before you make final retirement location plans. The older I get, the less fun it is to deal with the weather.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spoken with experience.

I have seen multitudes of people from Jersey in Florida who had no clue what they were getting into and now can't go home due to financial constraints. They are miserable down south.

A friend of mine's mon and dad retired to Minnesota a couple of years ago after living in Dallas for their whole lives. They had visited the lakes country several times in the summer and thought it pretty, but were unprepared for the realities of living there. They are now divorced.

As far as the beauties of the Northeast, I appreciate them when it's warm and things are green.

Those dark days might be the root cause of many of ralper's muses. They ARE the cause for the increased suicide rate in the winter.

In any case I originally posted this to be funny, not serious. Lighten up! Oh, wait. You can't without coming south
Old 12-31-2006, 03:17 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 825 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildncrazy,Dec 31 2006, 01:56 PM
Valentine, Virginia is pretty far north itself.

I was just thru there and you can no longer tell where the North ends and the South begins.
Its very easy, Wild One. North begins up at the top of where Virginia ends. In my humble opinion, there is much good to be said about just about any place. I personally do not like cold, ice and snow, so I'm probably in one of the better places to be where there is a little bit of cold, ice and snow and a whole lot of mild and sunny weather. We have four seasons, but winter is usually very mild. I'm only 70 miles from the southern border of Virginia, so the climate is very nice. I'd rather be further south, but this is home, so its probably where I'll stay.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:04 PM

That's always the deciding factor - Home.

But my kids know that if I ever find an opening for a beach bum on a carribean beach - I'm gone!!
Old 12-31-2006, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by valentine,Dec 31 2006, 01:07 PM
I like living in the south as well, but I have to say that I absolutely love all my visits to the North (which are generally carefully planned for the summer). I fell totally in love with Maine years ago when I visited Booth Bay Harbor, Freeport, and that gorgeous little Wiscasset.
You need to go farther North and get out of all the Maine tourist traps.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:33 PM

Maine has tourist traps?

That shows you how long it's been since I've been there, or is it just that one of my legs is longer now from the pulling it's getting?
Old 12-31-2006, 08:42 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,534 Likes on 1,914 Posts

[QUOTE=ralper,Dec 31 2006, 01:51 PM]I'm glad you live in the South too.

Some people will just never understand the lure and the greatness of the Northeast.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:08 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,971 Likes on 1,757 Posts

I love living where I do now - fairly good climate and good location to travel to other places if I want. I have an international bent, having lived overseas and been married to a guy from Argentina. DC is certainly an international city. But I love visiting all the other wonderful places north, south, east and west in the US and elsewhere, too. Eventually, I want to relocate to Eastern North Carolina, but it may be too laid back for me. We'll see...
Old 01-01-2007, 12:18 PM

Please, none of you move up here. It is exactly like we like it. Less people, less traffic, less crime, low cost of living.

Green Bay hasn't had ever had 20 inches of snow in one storm at least not in my lifetime. East coast gets that in Noreasters that is were the total amounts come from, just not enough moisture here. Last January was the warmest on record, by over 5 degrees. I drove my S2000 about 10-12 days that last year and we are forcast for another warm spell, through an already warn Nov/Dec. I will take winter over 90 straight days of 90+ degrees and 95% humidity always.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:08 PM

Received 520 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildncrazy,Dec 31 2006, 09:33 PM
Maine has tourist traps?

That shows you how long it's been since I've been there, or is it just that one of my legs is longer now from the pulling it's getting?
Bar Harbor is definitely a tourist trap IMHO.

Quick Reply: I'm so glad Ilive in the South!