S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

I'm getting my rocks off this morning.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:11 AM

Received 1,284 Likes on 989 Posts
Default I'm getting my rocks off this morning.

I took out our front lawn. (It was dying anyway) I removed three inches of soil. Now I'm building a rock garden. Monday I spent $400 on rocks: river bottom stepping stones for a pathway, perimeter rocks, and large rocks. They're being delivered this morning. So, I'm getting my rocks off.....the truck.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:17 AM

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by The Raptor
I took out our front lawn. (It was dying anyway) I removed three inches of soil. Now I'm building a rock garden. Monday I spent $400 on rocks: river bottom stepping stones for a pathway, perimeter rocks, and large rocks. They're being delivered this morning. So, I'm getting my rocks off.....the truck.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Emil St-Hilaire
Originally Posted by The Raptor' timestamp='1470841886' post='24036284

It too early for pics. It's just bare dirt, two large piles of dirt, and soon piles of rocks.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:55 AM

Received 5,746 Likes on 3,385 Posts

If you have a lot of trees we discovered rocks can be a pain. Mine were professionally installed with strong plastic laid down first, so we're thinking - maintenance free - right? Wrong. Because our entire yard has so many trees we have to do a lot of leaf blowing both around and in the stones. What happens is dirt gets blown in and settles on top; then grass and weeds start growing in the rocks. That would be easy to kill with Round Up except we also planted shrubs through out the stone areas. Also we get an endless dropping of twigs that can't be easily removed. In fact, I just paid my grandson to pick them up - he filled several buckets. Maintenance free - no way. At least not with our set up.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:26 AM

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

Clean it up yourself,Dave.
It's a good exercice to keep you young,and in shape...
Old 08-10-2016, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by dlq04
If you have a lot of trees we discovered rocks can be a pain. Mine were professionally installed with strong plastic laid down first, so we're thinking - maintenance free - right? Wrong. Because our entire yard has so many trees we have to do a lot of leaf blowing both around and in the stones. What happens is dirt gets blown in and settles on top; then grass and weeds start growing in the rocks. That would be easy to kill with Round Up except we also planted shrubs through out the stone areas. Also we get an endless dropping of twigs that can't be easily removed. In fact, I just paid my grandson to pick them up - he filled several buckets. Maintenance free - no way. At least not with our set up.
Yeah, we have trees and I expect that there's going to be some maintenance to this, including leaf blowing and keeping after weeds. We're going to plant drought-tolerant plants, so we'll be saving water, which is the point of all this. I'm new to this approach, so we'll see how it all works out. Thanks for your input.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:00 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Xeriscaping once reserved for droughty areas has really taken off as an acceptable means of landscaping. Two words of advice, do put down a weed barrier fabric before placing your rocks and make sure you don't create a barrier for water (I know we are talking arid area now) to naturally drain away from your house. If nothing else you are creating your own "heat island", now if you could just harness that energy. Good luck, would love to see pictures of the finished project.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:37 AM

Received 5,746 Likes on 3,385 Posts

Originally Posted by Emil St-Hilaire
Clean it up yourself,Dave.
It's a good exercice to keep you young,and in shape...
Believe me, I do. He was looking for a way to make money to pay his debts - after all, he's 11. At that age they don't believe in saving first....
Old 08-10-2016, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
Xeriscaping once reserved for droughty areas has really taken off as an acceptable means of landscaping. Two words of advice, do put down a weed barrier fabric before placing your rocks and make sure you don't create a barrier for water (I know we are talking arid area now) to naturally drain away from your house. If nothing else you are creating your own "heat island", now if you could just harness that energy. Good luck, would love to see pictures of the finished project.
Will do. It'll be awhile. We're not planting until October when the weather cools off (I hope).
Old 08-11-2016, 12:07 AM

I moved several hundred pounds of rocks in bags and loose yesterday with a wagon and a dolly -- lots of tough lifting. I was sure I would have a very bad back this morning, enough to keep me from going to the gym. I woke up and was pleasantly surprised to find that I'm OK. A little sore but I'm good to go. I attribute it to ab and back weight work. However, I have lots and lots of more rocks to get. This project is much bigger than I anticipated. Oh well.

Quick Reply: I'm getting my rocks off this morning.