S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

If you could change the world or at least make a

Old 10-08-2004, 07:09 PM

Received 511 Likes on 304 Posts
Default If you could change the world or at least make a

Question? If you had the kind of money that Bill Gates has or any other Billionaire or Millonaire has or even with your modest means what would either like to do or are currently doing to change the world or help others?
Old 10-08-2004, 07:10 PM

Received 511 Likes on 304 Posts

I will start with that over the years I have given gallons of blood.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:12 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I create jobs.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:28 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Wow, so much to do, so little time and money.

Eliminate war.
Educate everyone.
Eliminate hunger.
Mediate all conflicts.

Everything else would take care of itself.
Old 10-09-2004, 05:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I had the money Bill Gates has ... I would educate people to rid the world of hunger. You can not think if you are hungry ... I mean, starved. It is a cruel death.
Old 10-09-2004, 07:22 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by plantpixie,Oct 9 2004, 09:47 AM
If I had the money Bill Gates has ... I would educate people to rid the world of hunger. You can not think if you are hungry ... I mean, starved. It is a cruel death.
The US has saved the world once already from starvation. I believe it was a botanist at the UofMn that developed the rust resistant strains of grain in the 60
s that allowed many hungry nations to become self supporting. Bangladesh is a prime example.

Unfortunately what happened is the worlds population expanded expotentially, especially in undeveloped areas with a now adequate food supply and no education in family planning.

Darwinism says that animal populations are self leveling, over population begets new disease. Look at cats...too many and distemper culls them.

The answer to helping the world is less people. If you figure out how to do it let me know.....China's answer works but it's a bit extreme.

If I could change the world..............I'd be King

fltsfshr
Old 10-10-2004, 12:25 PM

I would spend my money on developing fusion. One thing this world will need in the future is a lot more power. The rich countries of the world cannot afford for the 3rd world countries to develop. Without power the world economy is DEAD. I mean at the beginning of the 20th century, people and horses where a major component of the energy used in the U.S.A. The energy used was way way less than is used today in the U.S.A.

If the technology existed to produce power cheaply and cleanly, the 3rd world could be made into consumers and people wouldn't be complaining about the jobs being sent to 3rd countries because so many more good jobs would be created in the developed countries.

Alternate energy sources are very limited. Solar (if you want to cover the entire planet)? Bio-products? (pretty much solar power) Ocean power? (gravity from the sun). Wind power (more gravity). what other renewable energy is there? we receive all of our "renewable" energy from the sun, there really isn't much else, except to use the energy source the sun uses.

To me this is the ONLY thing that will ensure the continued development of technology.
Old 10-10-2004, 02:02 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I would buy as much of the world's property as I could, with emphasis on tropical rain forests, with the hope of keeping development off that property.

There are a lot of things though that I would treat myself and my family to first, though, if I were filthy rich. I would likely start with a 30-40 million dollar car collection.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:45 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While possessing billions of dollars in personal wealth would definitely help a person effect some type of change (for better or worse), I don't feel that we need to look towards only the super rich to make the contribution. Take Mother Teresa for example...
If we are looking to put value on what one person can do, I believe that the average person giving $20 to a homeless shelter, or Joe Blow giving up a pint of his own blood, in many cases, is actually donating a greater percentage of his/her personal wealth.
For me, the greater question is why so few of us make the effort to try and help the less fortunate or the worthy causes. It could be that in our daily perceived struggles to put high ocatane gas in our toys, put aside enough for a great Caribbean vacation, buy that next pack of smokes, we feel we are at the near end of our own rope.
Kudos to Bill Gates or any other like minded philanthropic individual. History has been replete with many others who enjoyed immense wealth and contributed nothing back to society.
My .02.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:56 PM

I've long had this dream......

In my perfect world, people would not have to stand in line to SPEND money, only to receive it!

Gerry

Quick Reply: If you could change the world or at least make a