S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

I think I need a new car magazine

Old 09-18-2013, 04:28 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper
Bill,

Even the New York Times magazine isn't what it used to be. I used to look forward to my Sunday mornings with it, now mostly I find it hard to read and a waste of time. Half way through an article I find myself wondering what the author is trying to say.

Dumbing down is all around us. I wonder what took Road & Track so long.
My dad and I were just talking about this. For as long as I can remember, a NYT was always on the breakfast table. It was routine. As his job changed and he began travelling a lot more, the only time I'd see the paper on the table was on Sundays.... now, it's totally gone.... he has lost interest in the content (and he doesn't watch the news on tv either).

I personally still read Car&Driver but usually only pick it up when I'm at the airport.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:03 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I just bought a Car and Driver to give it another look. After the first article, I find I have the sme problem with the writing style. BUT, it actually feels better than the new style of Road & Track.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:34 AM

Received 5,770 Likes on 3,401 Posts

I am huge fan of Hemmings Sports Car for old stuff and have been a subscriber for several years. None of the other magazines get my money. 99.9% of the modern stuff is either of no interest to me or way outside my budget. When it comes to assessing new stuff that I can't afford but would love to own I enjoy watching Top Gear and Fifth Gear on TV. For example, that latter just did a great comparison of the Audi R8 10 cylinder and two other top cars.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:56 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

Print media by and large has changed drastically. There will be les and less of periodicals available, and the ones that remain at this time are trying to reach a fast paced social media driven audience. Let's face it, we are trying to stop time because printed material is becoming passé and the publishers are trying to keep things going as long as possible. I stopped reading R&T and C&D a long time ago when it became apparent, at least IMHO that those magazines had gone the way of MotorTrend and seemed a little more interested in advertisers than "unvarnished truth", again simply my opinion.

But this is a trend. PCMag recently went all electronic, and as an old guy, I still like paper. The venerable Phila Inquirer, our last serious daily recently changed format, again, to appeal to a younger audience that they hope will continue to be paying for subscriptions long after I am gone. And the most recent, Home Theater Magazine merged with Sound and Vision which was a merged magazine itself.

Dumbing down? I believe that is a matter perspective, and I could be wrong, but it is changing, and that won't stop.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:00 AM

Received 4,264 Likes on 3,318 Posts

I used to enjoy Car and Driver back in the days of David E.Davis and Brock Yates but it is just not the same anymore and the same with R&T I stayed with it due to Side Glances but that just wasn't enough to keep me as a subscriber.
Hemmings puts out some fantastic magazines I currently get Hemmings Sports and Exotic Car and absolutely love every issue. I also receive Excellence the Porsche magazine which I feel is done very well.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:02 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,982 Likes on 2,658 Posts

I truly miss the old autoweek from back when Denise McCluggage and Satch Carlson were regular writers.
Along with the curmudgeonly old Leon Mandel.
And it was printed on Newsprint which made it legible even if your fingers got dirty.
The ads were for real race stuff and cars you fantasized about owning instead of body oils and other "aids."
and who could forget Corvette Vicky??
Old 09-18-2013, 04:39 PM

Received 5,770 Likes on 3,401 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
I truly miss the old autoweek from back when Denise McCluggage and Satch Carlson were regular writers.
And it was printed on Newsprint which made it legible even if your fingers got dirty.
The ads were for real race stuff and cars you fantasized about owning instead of body oils and other "aids."
Your age is showing. I used to subscribe to it and remember the first three (in fact I Denise at the Glen) but I don't recall Vicky ( maybe I was looking at the car).
Old 09-20-2013, 07:41 AM

Received 4,264 Likes on 3,318 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
Satch Carlson has a monthly column in Hemmings Sports and Exotic magazine.
Was Corvette Vicki the woman from Kerbeck chevrolet in N.J.?
Old 09-20-2013, 07:50 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Yup. She married the owner!!!
Old 09-20-2013, 11:46 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

Bill,in the last issue of R&T,Egan wrote that he was retiring...
I also dislike the new format of the R&T magazine.

Quick Reply: I think I need a new car magazine