S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

I flipped the S so sad

Old 04-21-2006, 09:06 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Burt, glad you're getting back in the saddle so quickly. Best wishes!
Old 04-21-2006, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by caker!,Apr 21 2006, 06:10 AM
"And to anyone that thinks the speed limit is some sort of real limit, they are crazy. The speed limit is for the lowest common denominator, which I and my S are certainly not. If you are a lowest common denominator type driver, by all means, drive slow and stay right. Personally when I see a Buick ahead, I look for a way around it or some way to avoid."
Quotes from a potential road statistic.
I am NOT a road statistic. I am going on 42, have driven since I was 15 1/2. I have one collision, caused by another driver, I was almost stopped by the time she hit me (breaking and steering away from her car and STILL she hit me in the driver door).
Old 04-21-2006, 01:23 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Hydn, FWIW, I completely agree with you, though I've seen quite a few fast Buick drivers in my day (yours truly, included). The latest problem here in MA seems to be the omnipresent state troopers. But, don't get me started on that.

There's no point in dredging up the "speed doesn't kill" argument, particularly in this thread. In Burt's case, like yours, it sounds like someone was at fault, and -- cars notwithstanding -- everyone is OK.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:30 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 824 Likes on 489 Posts

Congrats, Burt!!! Look forward to seeing you and Sheila in the future in that beautiful new car.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:55 PM

Received 518 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by zcarcrazy,Apr 19 2006, 08:49 PM
Everyone, I'm okay. The car is total and the insurance paid me off. Friday night I'm going to the dealer and order a new indy yellow MY06. So I'll be in the saddle before long....can't wait since the weather is begining to break. This is the time for topless driving I hope that angel still rides with me
Burt,

I hope that means that we will be seeing you and Sheila at FC06 in your new ride.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:16 PM

Received 518 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by caker!,Apr 21 2006, 07:10 AM
"And to anyone that thinks the speed limit is some sort of real limit, they are crazy. The speed limit is for the lowest common denominator, which I and my S are certainly not. If you are a lowest common denominator type driver, by all means, drive slow and stay right. Personally when I see a Buick ahead, I look for a way around it or some way to avoid."
Quotes from a potential road statistic.
to a point,

For me, part of my defensive driving strategy is staying away from RV's (especially ones that are towing vehicles) As I do my research to join the ranks of the RV "Lifestyle" I have discovered that the RV industry has done a great job in NOT REQUIRING special licenses for RV's. Even though, they often exceed forty feet in length and have a combination of air brakes and "Jake brakes".

I also stay a safe distance away from Volvos. Several years ago (I have posted the info back then) the Virginia Department of Transportation did a study that they dubbed the "Volvo Syndrome". They discovered that statically, that even though Volvos made up something like less than two percent of the registered vehicles in the Commonwealth of Virginia, they were involved in more than ten percent of the fatal accidents. This was attributed to their reputation for safety. The people that drive them seem to adapt the same "invinciple" attitude as teen agers.

Rental trucks are also a red flag to stay clear of.

As far at the Speed limits being set for the lowest common denominator. I agree on the front end. However, the problem as I see it is: People view driving as a right, not a privilege. With that stated several AAA surveys have concluded that 85% of all drivers consider themselves above average! How can that be?

I know that some of you are probably tired of seeing me state this: But, I am all for a tiered drivers license program similar to the one that is used in General Aviation. One that is skill based. Not every one has the "right stuff" to be a "jet jockey".
Old 04-21-2006, 07:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those are some incredible pictures! Glad you're ok & best wishes on the new S.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:40 PM

Burt, I feel your pain. I'm glad to hear you weren't hurt. I had a similar experience http://www.s2katlanta.com/%7Es2katl/forum/...read.php?t=2129 while on a club drive in Cheaha National Park in Alabama. I was so impressed with the safety engineering of the S2000, I immediately went out and bought another.

BTW, if you want, I can hook you up with an "Official Member of the Upside Down Club" badge (check out my sig on s2katlanta).
Old 04-21-2006, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by zcarcrazy,Apr 19 2006, 05:49 PM
Everyone, I'm okay. The car is total and the insurance paid me off. Friday night I'm going to the dealer and order a new indy yellow MY06.

Old 04-21-2006, 11:59 PM

Quick Reply: I flipped the S so sad