S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

How long do you expect to live, 70, 80, 90?

Old 01-24-2007, 10:21 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 625 Likes on 377 Posts
Default How long do you expect to live, 70, 80, 90?

In the sixties, hippies and students thought they would never live past thirty, and people over thirty couldn't be trusted anyway. Sure, but when you get to thirty you tend to rethink things and want to hang on a while longer. You don't want to 'go gentle into that dark night'.

When you are forty you still feel young and don't really want to be associated with 'old folks'. By fifty you are still young and don't want to be associated with old folks.

In Vintage we are happy to be vintage from 40 on, and even enjoy interacting and getting to know vintagers of all ages.

But at some point you realize denial and know that you are not going to last forever. Some people have a distinct idea, though, at what age they would like to call it quits. Others just don't want to hang on and be a burden to their families. Still I haven't seen anyone who just wants to die (even a devout believer) -- until it is clearly close to the end and the pain and impotence are too much to endure.

We live as we should in the present, not in the past or the future. The past gives us memories, but the future is unknown, and we don't usually think about it much. But some junctures in life like an accident, an illness, or the death of a friend or loved one cause you to pause and reflect on your own mortality.

I'm happy. I don't really know how long I would want to live in years. How about you?
Old 01-24-2007, 10:30 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 825 Likes on 489 Posts

I've already lived to be older than I thought I'd ever be. Anything from this point on is bonus, I guess. Sometimes I feel very young and capable of doing almost anything. Just last spring I singlehandedly unloaded a decorative fountain, placed it and assembled on my patio that took three men to load in my truck. Then there are other days I feel that it takes me twice as long to do half as much. My mom's still going strong, but my dad died at only 67. I want to live as long as I'm cognizant of what is going on in the world and not in grave pain. I sometimes struggle with the concept of whether this life is it and when we die there is no afterlife and all that I've known, seen, done will be as Rutger Hauer said in Blade Runner:
've seen things you people wouldn't believe. . . . All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:39 AM

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,863 Posts

My Dad lived until 85, the last five years of his life were not the best health wise. My Mom is 85 and still going strong.

I'd like to live as long as I can live independently. Once I have to depend on others for simple daily tasks, I'd hope to "check out" as I don't want to be a burden. Yet, we don't usually get a choice of when we "check out."

When we visit the nursing home where Rick's mother is, and I see all the poor souls there, unable to do the even the basics for themselves, I just hope and pray I'm gone before I get to that point.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no idea how long I want to live, I just know like Lainey said, when I get to a point where I have to rely on others I don't want to continue.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:04 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 825 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Jan 24 2007, 02:52 PM
I have no idea how long I want to live, I just know like Lainey said, when I get to a point where I have to rely on others I don't want to continue.
I've been trying to think of anyone I could rely on if I got old, crotchety and more senile than I am now and I couldn't think of any. So if I get that way, it'll be time to say
Old 01-24-2007, 11:50 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

Well,I'm already 102...
Old 01-24-2007, 12:22 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Unhappy

My dad lived to almost 80 years, and he smoked for the first 50 of those.....

(I badgered both parents into quitting )

.....so I hope to stay healthy til about 80....maybe survive a little longer

When my time is up, I hope to still be strong enough to pop a little green pill and go to
Old 01-24-2007, 01:11 PM

Received 5,800 Likes on 3,419 Posts

10 years. I might be around 5-10 after that; but, probably it won't be my idea of living unless someone cures artheritis.

The nice thing is I've had one great life - one mother, one father, one job, one wife, one good time, so when it does come time for the one way ticket, I've no regrets.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by paS2K,Jan 24 2007, 04:22 PM
My dad lived to almost 80 years, and he smoked for the first 50 of those.....
I thought I started pretty young but geez!
Old 01-24-2007, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raymo19,Jan 24 2007, 02:18 PM
I thought I started pretty young but geez!
I was watching to see who would be the one to make the obvious comment. Congrats Raymo!

Quick Reply: How long do you expect to live, 70, 80, 90?