S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

How do you get the news?

Old 12-07-2005, 04:13 PM

Received 518 Likes on 307 Posts

all,

Mostly from National Public Radio (NPR) during my morning and evening commutes. I find it interesting, diverse and educational as they will do eight minute in-depth reporting on some key stories. It is not the "entertainment" value news that one gets from the TV Media. I generally find them as about objective as source out there. Although, I still find fault with the way they word things and the phrasing that is used to still pitch their point of view, mostly leaning a bit to the left.

I find it very interesting that the reason Ted Kopple and the Producer of Night Line left the show after all of these years is because they could not put up with the pressure from advertisers on which stories to cover, and how to cover them.

I know that some of you will think that this last part belongs in the joke of the day thread, but in my opinion it is NO JOKE. Pretty close to how the news gets framed and why Ted Kopple left Night Line.

Two boys in Boston were paying baseball when one was attacked by a rabid Rottweiler. Thinking quickly, the other boy ripped a board off a nearby fence, wedged it into the dog's collar and twisted it, breaking the dog's neck.

A newspaper reporter from the Boston Globe witnessed the incident and rushed over to interview the boy Hero. The reporter began entering data into his laptop, beginning with the headline:

"Brave Young Red Sox Fan Saves Friend from Jaws Of Vicious Animal"

"But I'm not a Red Sox fan," the little hero interjected.

"Sorry" replied the reporter. "But since we're in Boston, Mass, I just assumed you were." Hitting the delete key, the reporter began:

"John Kerry Fan Rescues Friend from Horrific Dog Attack"

"But I'm not a Kerry fan either," the boy responds.

The reporter says, "I assumed everybody in this state was either for the Red Sox or Kerry or Kennedy. What team or person do you like? "

"I'm a Texas Ranger fan and I really like George W. Bush" the boy says.

Hitting the delete key, the reporter begins again:
"Arrogant Little Conservative Bastard from Bean Town Kills a Beloved Family Pet for no Reason"
Old 12-07-2005, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of the above...but in order
- Paper (Sat-Sun subscription) and I buy about 2 daily papers a week at lunch
- Internet: great for find the news you are interest in (tech, space, specific story)
- I watch CNN some times and network for local news (although not much)
- Radio
Old 12-13-2005, 10:55 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 825 Likes on 489 Posts

News about one of my favorite news programs:

By Andrew Wallenstein
LOS ANGELES (Dec. 12) - An employee of the Comedy Central program "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" has committed suicide, leading the network to suspend production of Monday night's episode of the program, a spokesman confirmed.
Bill Clarey, 25, took his own life over the weekend, according to the network. A former "Daily Show" intern, Clarey also worked as a receptionist at the program's offices in New York.

"Bill Clarey, a young staff member of 'The Daily Show with Jon Stewart,' passed away over the weekend. He was a wonderful and dedicated employee and all of us at Comedy Central and 'The Daily Show' are devastated by his loss. Our hearts and prayers go out to his family and friends," the network said in a statement.

Comedy Central has sent grief counselors to the "Daily Show" set to help its employees, sources said, who first learned of the suicide upon coming to work Monday. The network was scheduled to shoot a week's worth of new episodes before shutting down for the final two weeks of the year. The network will air a "Daily Show" repeat instead of the regularly scheduled episode.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:27 AM

Local newspaper and Newsday on the internet. ESPN for the sports.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:48 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by valentine,Dec 13 2005, 02:55 PM
....LOS ANGELES (Dec. 12) - An employee of the Comedy Central program "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" has committed suicide, .....
There was a separate 'suicide' thread in the first year of vintage. I think that I started it. People don't like the topic, but there seems to be a mini-epidemic....especially relating to 20/30 somethings

The 35 yo middle son of one of Kathy's friends did the deed a day or two after T-day. He rented a motel room; wrote notes to all his friends & family to tell them that 'it was not your fault'; and hanged himself. He apparently had a painful (but not fatal) physical condition and had just broken up with his g/f....

There are 2 other cases of young men who grew up in our church....bright and handsome....who committed suicide within the past 5 years....in their 20s. Not many cases of females with this problem...maybe b/c they talk out problems more easily

Very sad that some folks feel so hopeless and disconnected
Old 12-14-2005, 03:43 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 825 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by paS2K,Dec 13 2005, 11:48 PM
There was a separate 'suicide' thread in the first year of vintage. I think that I started it. People don't like the topic, but there seems to be a mini-epidemic....especially relating to 20/30 somethings . . .

Very sad that some folks feel so hopeless and disconnected
I agree, PaS. Someone very close to us killed himself several years ago and we still grieve horribly. Somehow a suicide just rocks the world of everyone around the victim and we'll always wonder, what if???????
Old 12-14-2005, 03:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's easy - I don't.

The only news I'm really interested in is the scientific kind, which I get monthly in a magazine.

This isn't a slam on anyone, but as far as I'm concerned, what passes for news on TV is just infotainment, and 99.99% has no relevance to my life, so I ignore it. Actually, I detest it

I don't bother with newspapers. Again, I don't have the time or interest.

About the only thing I read on a regular basis is Vin Suprynowicz's column in the Las Vegas Review Journal, online.

I still remember when my Mom came over to visit, and tried to watch the 'news'. After a couple of hours worth of inanity, she asked me if the 'real' news was coming up soon. Uh, no, sorry, that's what passes for news here. She's used to RTE or BBC at 9pm for 30 minutes a night.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:14 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by DiamondDave2005,Dec 14 2005, 07:58 AM
....my Mom came over ....She's used to RTE or BBC at 9pm for 30 minutes a night.
Dave, is this Real Time Entertainment [tabloid style]

Btw, are you coming to Zippy's Mid-Winter Gathering at his place near Woodbury? There's a thread on the Del Val Forum. Maybe you're already signed up...I don't remember and am too lazy to surf over there to look
Old 12-14-2005, 07:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paS2K,Dec 14 2005, 11:14 AM
Btw, are you coming to Zippy's Mid-Winter Gathering at his place near Woodbury? There's a thread on the Del Val Forum. Maybe you're already signed up...I don't remember and am too lazy to surf over there to look
Yes I am I think I signed up a while back, but I better go check...
Old 12-14-2005, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by valentine,Dec 14 2005, 04:43 AM
I agree, PaS. Someone very close to us killed himself several years ago and we still grieve horribly. Somehow a suicide just rocks the world of everyone around the victim and we'll always wonder, what if???????
...a suicide just rocks the world of everyone around the victim...
I list this URL in loving memory of my friends Jerry Davis and Mike Corbett - two of the most righteous human beings I have ever had the honor of knowing, as tears stream down my face