S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

How about a controversial thread?

Old 02-03-2005, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, the bunker buster.

All for it. Remember the first Bunker Buster I talked about? Old artillery barrell with explosives packed in it? I could make it myself with stuff out of my garage!

Really--even a tactical nuke can be made from stuff the U.S. has in its "garage".

The cost argument doesn't really make sense here. For so many conflicts today, the real cost becomes, "how much to we pay if we do nothing?"
Old 02-03-2005, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Warren J. Dew' date='Feb 3 2005, 08:39 PM
When I was in, housing allowances and such were not taxed. Has it changed? In my opinion, having some taxable income and some nontaxable was kind of stupid; all it did was make it more difficult to figure out one's money situation.

You are correct, sir. Housing and meals are tax free, non-reported income.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:22 AM

I don't have a lot of interest in Social Security, but I find it impressive that Bush can foresee what is going to happen in forty years. Although, I seem to recall hearing that back in the '70s he predicted that SS would be broke by '88. It's too bad that LBJ didn't have the same gift of prophesy and foresee the Internet, then there probably wouldn't be a need for having this discussion.
Does anyone happen to know how many remaining days this savant has in office? I feel a need this morning for some optimism, or at least a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:02 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by dean' date='Feb 4 2005, 07:22 AM
I don't have a lot of interest in Social Security, but I find it impressive that Bush can foresee what is going to happen in forty years. Although, I seem to recall hearing that back in the '70s he predicted that SS would be broke by '88. It's too bad that LBJ didn't have the same gift of prophesy and foresee the Internet, then there probably wouldn't be a need for having this discussion.
Does anyone happen to know how many remaining days this savant has in office? I feel a need this morning for some optimism, or at least a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.
It's about time you got back here. I'm real busy at work and can't participate during the day. Somebody has to keep an eye on the other side.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by ralper' date='Feb 4 2005, 09:02 AM
It's about time you got back here. I'm real busy at work and can't participate during the day. Somebody has to keep an eye on the other side.
We are united, at least, in our dislike and distrust of Bush. Although, I think mine runs much deeper than yours. I'm predicting that he ends up in my Nixon file before this four years is up.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:29 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper' date='Feb 3 2005, 11:45 PM
No it isn't. It's been tried, and has always lost. Same thing with payroll taxes. This is another urban myth.
Not true. I personally know two people who have actually done it. If you ask me why I have not done this, I am not willing at this point to loose everything and fight the fight and wait it out before I get it back. It is a long hard fight. I will get some information together and send you links. Here is one right off the top of my head....

http://famguardian.org/TaxFreedom/FormsInstr.htm

There are the forms you need to start your fight.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:36 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 822 Likes on 489 Posts

Uppity -- where have you been? Anyway, about that tax freedom thing: we had a couple of activists in the area here who tried that, went on to federal court and ended up penniless with their homes, etc. seized by the IRS according to newspaper reports. It can get terribly ugly.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes! Welcome back. I would like to thank you for your comments on Thomas Jefferson. I actually learned a few things! (I might be a little uneducated, but I'm not an ignorant redneck!) Thanks for the input.

[QUOTE]We are united, at least, in our dislike and distrust of Bush. Although, I think mine runs much deeper than yours. I'm predicting that he ends up in my Nixon file before this four years is up.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:46 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 822 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by LINESUPER' date='Feb 4 2005, 08:37 AM
I am with you in your distrust. I am a republican. ( I know, you couldn't believe it by my posts, but I am). And I agree with you in your suspicion of Bush. And in many ways he reminds me of Nixon. I wonder if he or any of his cronies had there hands in "Food for Oil" scandal? It will be interesting to see how that all plays out.
Hey, Super & Rob. I agree with your distrust and hold that same element of distrust in my heart (but have to say it holds true for most of the folks in high governmental positions). I lived through the Nixon era and cried my way (literally) through that whole mess. BTW, have either of you ever listened to the Johnson tapes? WOW -- talk about enlightenment. I learned to have so much more respect for Lyndon after listening to his torment, heart's desires, etc. Long tapes, but great education.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by LINESUPER' date='Feb 4 2005, 09:37 AM
Yes! Welcome back. I would like to thank you for your comments on Thomas Jefferson. I actually learned a few things! (I might be a little uneducated, but I'm not an ignorant redneck!) Thanks for the input.

I am with you in your distrust. I am a republican. ( I know, you couldn't believe it by my posts, but I am). And I agree with you in your suspicion of Bush. And in many ways he reminds me of Nixon. I wonder if he or any of his cronies had there hands in "Food for Oil" scandal? It will be interesting to see how that all plays out.
I've always admired Jefferson. He is one of a very few men in the history of American politics that I would describe as being a statesman. I may have felt quite differently had I lived during his time, but I can enjoy the comfort and security of hindsight.

I don't think that Nixon and Bush really compare. I regarded Nixon as a crafty, dishonest weasel. I had absolutely no respect for the man, and eventually lost all respect for the office while he sat in it. Bush, on the other hand, I regard as the epitome of mediocrity and the global equivalent of the stereotypical obnoxious "white trash" neighbor. Like Nixon, I have very little respect left for the man. However, my opinion in this case is based on his incompetency, ineptitude, and his "yahoo-istic" world view, not any abuses of office. Other than his family connections and his handlers' impressive ability to polish a turd, it's a complete mystery to me how he's survived this long politically, but not so much that I desire an explanation.

Quick Reply: How about a controversial thread?