S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

How about a controversial thread?

Old 01-27-2005, 12:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally, the thing that affect money more than the government, American business, hopefully has a good year ahead. No financial scandals or unforseen terrorist events would be nice...
A good year is not likely to happen. Much of the current administrations hopes are pinned to unrealistic expectations. Iraq is a quagmire that will suck the life out of our ecomomy. The election is likely to be boycotted by a majority of the Iraqi population, and even if it is "validated" as legitimate, we will be there no less than 2 years - perhaps as many as 4. 120,000 troops there will do two things - 100 billion in costs each year they are there - and if they don't stay - the loss of the largest oil exporter to the US (thats a loss that will cripple our economy). the second thing it will do is mandate the reinactment of the draft. That may actually be a "good" thing if you are a Bushy. (Fewer people on the unemployment roll will make economy "look" ok).

Also, because the Shite populations of Syria and Iran are trying to manipulate the election, expect US intervention in the next 12 to 18 months in those nations. Ain't it just great to be exporting "democracy" and importing oil.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Linesuper,

Hope you're wrong. We'll find out very soon about the Iraq elections. Fact is, even if 25% of those who can vote show up, it will be 25% more than have ever voted before. I was driving today, and thinking that if the "insurgents" (NYT doesn't like to call them terrorists) stopped killing people, we'd be out of Iraq in no time.

I think that Syria and Iran are pretty scared right now. Things for the first time in recent history are looking better in Israel, and Iraq will soon have some form of elected government. That does not bode well for stability in Iran and Syria! It may not happen now, or in five years, but the entire region (I believe) will be affected by what is happening in Iraq now. Call me a Polly Anna, but we'll be getting dividends later for what we're doing in Iraq now.

As for oil imports, the U.S. gets most of its oil from Saudi Arabia, Canada and Mexico, not Iraq. Sure, if they suddenly stopped shipping to us, we'd feel it. I hope one day we'll be drilling in the tundra in Anwar, so when another one of these nations (Venezuela next?) flares up, we'll be less exposed.

And last to business! If there's one thing that stays the same in business, it's change. Looking back, my best selling items of 10 years ago are not even stocked today. My wife's company (French-owned) has been downsizing for the past five years! Then again, their management chain looks like a pyramid--an INVERTED pyramid!
Old 01-27-2005, 05:28 PM

Received 515 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by cordycord,Jan 27 2005, 07:36 PM
Linesuper,

Hope you're wrong. We'll find out very soon about the Iraq elections. Fact is, even if 25% of those who can vote show up, it will be 25% more than have ever voted before. I was driving today, and thinking that if the "insurgents" (NYT doesn't like to call them terrorists) stopped killing people, we'd be out of Iraq in no time.

I think that Syria and Iran are pretty scared right now. Things for the first time in recent history are looking better in Israel, and Iraq will soon have some form of elected government. That does not bode well for stability in Iran and Syria! It may not happen now, or in five years, but the entire region (I believe) will be affected by what is happening in Iraq now. Call me a Polly Anna, but we'll be getting dividends later for what we're doing in Iraq now.

As for oil imports, the U.S. gets most of its oil from Saudi Arabia, Canada and Mexico, not Iraq. Sure, if they suddenly stopped shipping to us, we'd feel it. I hope one day we'll be drilling in the tundra in Anwar, so when another one of these nations (Venezuela next?) flares up, we'll be less exposed.

And last to business! If there's one thing that stays the same in business, it's change. Looking back, my best selling items of 10 years ago are not even stocked today. My wife's company (French-owned) has been downsizing for the past five years! Then again, their management chain looks like a pyramid--an INVERTED pyramid!
Short term pain for long term gain. Regarding the middle east and our relief effort in response to the Tsunami demonstrates that we are NOT against the Muslim world. As I type this our military helicopters are making a hugh difference in getting supplies to areas that cannot be accessed in any other way in Indoneasia (the worlds most populist Muslim country).

Regarding your comment about the inverted pyramid in your wife's company. I am seeing that a bit in my own company with layer upon layer of management?? Too many chiefs and not enough indians as the saying goes. IMO, greed amongst corporate executives is rampant! Case in point: In the same week that SBC announced laying off 7,000 employees they turn around and announce that they want to buy AT&T for $16 billion dollars? Some, including myself see this as the ego driven revenge of a child eating the (former) parent company after the break up of AT&T. U.S. Air is asking it's employees to work for free, yet the executives are set with "golden parachutes"? It is just not right! The disproportionate compensation of executives versus the workers salaries is out of control in America. If I remember correctly (someone correct me) the last ratio that I heard is something like 1700:1 To put that in perspective, when given the median income in the U.S. is $40,000 that ratio would compensate the President at a rate of $68,000,000 a year! Yet, many executives that are running companies into the ground make more than that!
Old 01-27-2005, 05:32 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Business schools really need to teach corporate leaders the word "humility." These guys always forget that a company is the people that make it up. It's important to be "driven," but it's also important to have goals for your people. A corporate executive that only cares about making a profit is a very dangerous thing indeed.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:50 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by cordycord,Jan 27 2005, 06:36 PM
Call me a Polly Anna, but we'll be getting dividends later for what we're doing in Iraq now.
O.K., I'll call you a Polly Anna. I don't think we're going to be collecting dividends so much as we're going to be paying the bill for what we're doing in Iraq right now.

I'm not nearly so optimistic as you are regarding our policy and the elections in Iraq. Whereas you justify what will probably be a small turnout by saying that at least people are voting who've never voted before, I see the whole thing as a sham. An election requires candidates who can be seen, and an electorate who is not afraid to vote. Neither of which is happening. None the less, we shall see in a couple of days.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:59 PM

Polly Anna here. I actually saw some GOOD news regarding the Palestinians tonight. The Palestinian authority has banned guns being carried by the general population. Ariel Sharon responded by saying that there has been a major shift in the political climate, and that they may be ready for renewed talks.

Bush also said that the U.S. would remove troops from Iraq if requested by the new government. If the government's a sham, then this will NEVER happen , but I think it shows the diplomatic side of that damn imperial dictator we elected (again).
Old 01-27-2005, 07:06 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by cordycord,Jan 27 2005, 10:59 PM
Polly Anna here. I actually saw some GOOD news regarding the Palestinians tonight. The Palestinian authority has banned guns being carried by the general population. Ariel Sharon responded by saying that there has been a major shift in the political climate, and that they may be ready for renewed talks.
I think Arafat's death started the political change, and while I do think that there is a change in the climate, it remains to be seen if the other groups like Hamas come on board. While I think it's a nice gesture, I don't think that anything the Palestine government does is meaningful. It only matters after the other terrorist groups come aboard.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:22 PM

Agreed. I suppose you're right about Hamas et al. They won't fade away--they have power and will do anything to keep it. They won't purge the terrorists from their system--there won't be anyone left on their rostrum.

The thing that concerns me most regarding the Palestinians is how they teach martyrdom in their schools, mosques, and even on children's TV programs.

I was very happy when Bush decided to just not deal with them and their lying ways any more. I do think that sped the process up.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:51 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I am hopeful. At least they are trying and moving forward. For the life of me, I can't see the value in these people continuing to blow each other up. It's got to get old for them after a while. I mean, don't they want to focus on getting HDTV up and running and cool stuff like that?
Old 01-28-2005, 06:00 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Do hatred and fear effect human behavior more than love and happiness (comfort)?

Quick Reply: How about a controversial thread?