S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

How about a controversial thread?

Old 01-19-2005, 12:44 PM

Received 1,103 Likes on 699 Posts

Had a burglar come over my back fence once, but I didn't need a knee or a gun. My german shepherd took off after the guy, who made it back over the fence by the skin of his teeth. Would a cat have done that, huh, josey, huh?
Old 01-19-2005, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris,Jan 19 2005, 03:44 PM
Had a burglar come over my back fence once, but I didn't need a knee or a gun. My german shepherd took off after the guy, who made it back over the fence by the skin of his teeth. Would a cat have done that, huh, josey, huh?
Ummmm....define CAT.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:09 PM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

here's a link to some pics of pinfires. There's lots of other one out there some disguised as jewelry etc. They started being made as a hobby by watchsmiths and jewelers. Think of a hooker with a pinfire on a charm bracelet stuck in your ear.
I found these typing 2mm pinfire into google. There's supposedly a Tiffany pinfire out there somewhere.

fltsfshr

pinfires
Old 01-19-2005, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by cordycord,Jan 19 2005, 05:37 PM
Dean,

If Bush was lying to the American people, Kerry was saying the same thing--until it was in his best interests to flip flop.

In fact, all members of the UN Security Council prior to the invasion had the same view and intelligence, and thought Saddam has WMD's. Fact is, the guy's killed more Muslims in our lifetime than anyone else.

Now, if I had one of those Zippo pea shooters, I'd POP a mini-cap in his @ss.
What does Kerry have to do with it? He isn't the president or the Commander in Chief.

The U.N.'s was based almost entirely on what it was fed to them by Colin Powell's testimony. I'm fairly certain that Powell was a member of the Bush cabinet when he told the U.N. that Iraq had WMDs and ties to Al Qaeda.. I don't recall the Bush administration giving, "We must save the Muslims", as a reason for invading until long after the war had started. Where is all this great humanitarian concern in response to the wholesale genocide that's been occurring in Africa? It's apparently a moot point since we have now moved on to the "We're bringing democracy to the Iraqis" reason this week. I can barely contain myself in anticipation of what next week's rationale for war will be. It's almost like Christmas.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:29 PM

Dean,

Good thing your specialty is biology--your thoughts on what actually happened on the run-up to Iraq invasion are completely wrong.

--Powell's testimony was based, in part, on information shared from the UK and other governments. Other governments (see Security Council above), prior to invasion, thought Iraq had WMDs.

--Kerry, prior to invasion, thought Iraq had WMD's. The idea was not exclusive to Bush or even the Republican party.

--EVERYBODY, prior to invastion, thought Iraq had WMD's. Jeez, they used them on their own people, tried to buy them from other countries, and expressed publicly that they had a "right" to have them.

My point about the Muslims is that Saddam is not a very nice man. What we did to him and his corrupt government is good. No regrets.

As for Africa, I agree. We should do more. Kofi Annan has let this go on in his back yard for FAR too long. I like the idea that Colin Powell went to the region at a time when the Sudan was fading from the spotlight. IMO, the UN is more to blame than we are--but we have agreed that the ANC should be the people to head up this relief effort, and we are following their rules.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:43 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

[QUOTE=dean,Jan 19 2005, 05:13 PM] What does Kerry have to do with it? He isn't the president or the Commander in Chief.

The U.N.'s was based almost entirely on what it was fed to them by Colin Powell's testimony. I'm fairly certain that Powell was a member of the Bush cabinet when he told the U.N. that Iraq had WMDs and ties to Al Qaeda.. I don't recall the Bush administration giving, "We must save the Muslims",
Old 01-19-2005, 01:46 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

And yes, I am in favor of gun control.

(I'm going home now, see you in about 1 1/2 hours).
Old 01-19-2005, 03:58 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

So where is the controversy?
Old 01-19-2005, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by cordycord,Jan 19 2005, 06:29 PM
Dean,

Good thing your specialty is biology--your thoughts on what actually happened on the run-up to Iraq invasion are completely wrong.

--Powell's testimony was based, in part, on information shared from the UK and other governments. Other governments (see Security Council above), prior to invasion, thought Iraq had WMDs.

--Kerry, prior to invasion, thought Iraq had WMD's. The idea was not exclusive to Bush or even the Republican party.

--EVERYBODY, prior to invastion, thought Iraq had WMD's. Jeez, they used them on their own people, tried to buy them from other countries, and expressed publicly that they had a "right" to have them.

My point about the Muslims is that Saddam is not a very nice man. What we did to him and his corrupt government is good. No regrets.

As for Africa, I agree. We should do more. Kofi Annan has let this go on in his back yard for FAR too long. I like the idea that Colin Powell went to the region at a time when the Sudan was fading from the spotlight. IMO, the UN is more to blame than we are--but we have agreed that the ANC should be the people to head up this relief effort, and we are following their rules.
Interesting, since by every report I've read on the subject has stated that the majority of the intel came from U.S. sources. I also understand it to be the case that the widespread belief that Iraq was still in possession of WMD's was based on the (dis)information coming from the Bush administration.
Regardless, there was never any reasonable and static explanation given for the urgency of going to war with Iraq, nor did this administration plan or prepare well for what has turned out to be an elective war. Saddam isn't a nice man? The world is filled with them, and I can look much closer to home to find them.
No regrets? I'll wager that there are many folks in this country who feel differently. In war, there is always ample regret to go around. I've been there and done that. The fundamental difference this time is that instead of being lied to by a paranoid weasel and his host of sycophants, I'm being lied to by a cowboy caricature and his host of sycophants pushing an ideology straight out of the Bronze Age. What further aggravates and frustrates me about this unholy mess is the accident of birth into wealth and privilege that brought us to this place. Otherwise, Bush would be managing a Walmart and doing far less harm.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by ralper,Jan 19 2005, 06:43 PM
Welcome back. It was getting lonely holding down the fort by myself.
I've got your back, Rob.

Quick Reply: How about a controversial thread?