S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

How about a controversial thread?

Old 01-18-2005, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JOHN KERRY = LOO HOO HOO HOO HOO SER

Education testing for parents--a capital idea! I like the idea of standardized tests so children, all children, get a shot at an education. I also like the idea of merit pay for teachers who show results--not just pay increases for tenure. The biggest obstacle to a child's education, besides apathetic parents, is the teacher's unions who demand money to "fix the problem", and then dump all the money into administration, not into the hands of deserving teachers.

And yes, shielding children from violence, sex, etceteras shows not only that the parent cares, but also sets boundaries. Certain things, as determined by parents, are not acceptable for various age and maturity levels.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:19 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by cordycord,Jan 18 2005, 04:17 PM
JOHN KERRY = LOO HOO HOO HOO HOO SER

Education testing for parents--a capital idea! I like the idea of standardized tests so children, all children, get a shot at an education. I also like the idea of merit pay for teachers who show results--not just pay increases for tenure. The biggest obstacle to a child's education, besides apathetic parents, is the teacher's unions who demand money to "fix the problem", and then dump all the money into administration, not into the hands of deserving teachers.

And yes, shielding children from violence, sex, etceteras shows not only that the parent cares, but also sets boundaries. Certain things, as determined by parents, are not acceptable for various age and maturity levels.
Testing as in the "No child left behind" program doesn't work. Our kids are being taught to take tests, they are not being taught to learn or think.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:25 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm not a big fan of unions in the modern world. I agree with Cordy on most of that stuff. But, Rob is right too.. Teaching to the test doesn't do it.

As for your comment about shielding the kids, Cordy, I can only tell you that I'm gradually subjecting my kids to more adult movies / themes. E.g., I watched "I, Robot" with my 8 and 6 year old the other day -- it was something of an experiment. My 8 year old was all over it. He understood everything. I'm glad to start the ball rolling to introduce him to the complexities of the real world. I just don't want to fall behind. I can only remember all the (wrong) explanations I got from my friends about many thing because my own parents were uncommunicative. I am the opposite (I think).
Old 01-18-2005, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by cordycord,Jan 18 2005, 03:17 PM
I also like the idea of merit pay for teachers who show results--not just pay increases for tenure. The biggest obstacle to a child's education, besides apathetic parents, is the teacher's unions who demand money to "fix the problem", and then dump all the money into administration, not into the hands of deserving teachers.

[QUOTE]And yes, shielding children from violence, sex, etceteras shows not only that the parent cares, but also sets boundaries.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:39 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

[QUOTE=cordycord,Jan 18 2005, 04:17 PM]
And yes, shielding children from violence, sex, etceteras shows not only that the parent cares, but also sets boundaries.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by ralper,Jan 18 2005, 05:19 PM
Testing as in the "No child left behind" program doesn't work. Our kids are being taught to take tests, they are not being taught to learn or think.
The science background of many of the students seeking entry into the MB program that I interviewed was sorely lacking. Teachers are not only under pressure to teach for the various exams, but they're also required to spend a substantial amount of class time on non academic crap - dress codes, self esteem issues, and other parental responsibilities.
As for the teacher union comment, under the governorship of GWB, Texas teacher salaries were 34th while school administrator salaries were 7th in the country. Unions had nothing to do with it.

Dean
Old 01-18-2005, 01:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I've read this thread and laughed most of the way through it, but now you really got me pissed! first, How many of you have taken the time to spend a one single day in a classroom? do that and you might get a clue as to what the teacher has to deal with.

As for "No child left behind" - - Give me a break. This program was designed to close public schools, not improve them. the "program" basically breaks down this way - a school is tested on its proficiency, if it passes, the bar is raised higher next year, if it fails it looses funding. Each year the school passes, the bar gets raised higher and higher until it reaches 100% proficiency. What they didn't till you was that EVERY child - that means every mentally ill, mentally retarded, socially disturbed, and/or physically handicapped child is included. Imagine if you will, giving a test to a third grade student that tests their ability to understand, not only math, but geometry, algebra, trigonometry and pre-calculus questions. My wife is a third grade teacher, and that is exactly what she was directed to do!!!! Now imagine trying to teach those standards to the third grade students, guaranty that they all get it, and 2 of your 20 students only have IQs in the 80's, 2 other students are physically/mentally handicapped and need aids just to function in the class at all. And because you can't fail a student that does not meet the standards, you must "dummy" down the lesson material to "guaranty" their success.

And get this, private schools will not be tested at all! When a school finally fails, ( all public schools will eventually fail), the parents get the "right" to move their child and tax dollars to a non-tested private school. the whole thing is a blind for school vouchers.

"No Child Left Behind" is another republican plan to privatize schools for the filthy rich!

Ok, rant over, flame suit on!!!!!! Fire away
Old 01-18-2005, 01:08 PM

Received 1,103 Likes on 699 Posts

What do you parents think about moving failed kids on to the next level, or not giving grades so no kid "fails" etc. etc.? Don't kids need to fail so they learn to accept failure and try harder? Or accept that they are sitting on the bench while better kids play because they aren't as athletic?
Not letting kids fail when their young may lead to the adult who brings a gun to work the day after being fired. Extreme, maybe, but I think there's a link.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:11 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

[QUOTE=LINESUPER,Jan 18 2005, 05:03 PM] Ok, I've read this thread and laughed most of the way through it, but now you really got me pissed!
Old 01-18-2005, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by LINESUPER,Jan 18 2005, 04:03 PM
Ok, I've read this thread and laughed most of the way through it, but now you really got me pissed! first, How many of you have taken the time to spend a one single day in a classroom? do that and you might get a clue as to what the teacher has to deal with.

And get this, private schools will not be tested at all! When a school finally fails, ( all public schools will eventually fail), the parents get the "right" to move their child and tax dollars to a non-tested private school. the whole thing is a blind for school vouchers.

"No Child Left Behind" is another republican plan to privatize schools for the filthy rich!
OK, so just leave things as they are? I didn't hear anyone in this thread stating that teachers didn't deserve to be rewarded or paid more. My mother was a teacher, my father was a teacher at one point, my sister is a teacher. Teachers definitely need to be paid more. I don't think there's a problem with merit pay...just with the system they have to base it on at this point. Of course the system needs reform....it has for quite a LOOOOONNNNGGGG time.

And I'm quite sure you're right - the Republicans want to do away entirely with public schools and education for all and make sure that education is only for the wealthy....

Maybe this topic needs its own thread before this thread ceases to be fun.

And Morris - if kids fail, they certainly need to be failed! Maybe if a parent gets pissed enough because his progeny is in the fourth grade for the third year, he'll get off his ass and actually make an effort to identify the problem and work with the teachers on a solution.

Quick Reply: How about a controversial thread?