S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

How about a controversial thread?

Old 03-20-2005, 04:21 PM

Received 473 Likes on 337 Posts

This is a very interesting article, quite pensive. We must be well informed and be willing to contemplate on all fronts. Thanks.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read about this in other articles as well. The doctor decides, and the government doesn't find out until after the euthanasia--that's one of the reasons why they don't have any firm numbers on how many children have been euthanized.

There has been an outcry from within the Netherlands as well, as the general population finds out more about the rules that are still being solidified in Groningen.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:43 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

We all need to put our wishes in writing and make sure it is done legally so one cannot argue it is not legitimate. I don't know what I think about the Florida case. I don't know enough about it to make a conclusion. I can see both sides at this point.

Another issue: The child killer in Florida. That case made me lookup all sex offenders in my area. You would not believe how many there are in this small area. Most rape! (The statutory rape ones I question. I don't know the details, but some could be a 21 year old with a 18 year old, etc.) SCARY!
Old 03-21-2005, 05:59 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by uppitychick,Mar 21 2005, 09:43 AM
We all need to put our wishes in writing and make sure it is done legally so one cannot argue it is not legitimate. I don't know what I think about the Florida case. I don't know enough about it to make a conclusion. I can see both sides at this point.

Another issue: The child killer in Florida. That case made me lookup all sex offenders in my area. You would not believe how many there are in this small area. Most rape! (The statutory rape ones I question. I don't know the details, but some could be a 21 year old with a 18 year old, etc.) SCARY!
Hey Uppity compare the amount of child molestation cases to the proportionate amount of southern baptist and pentacostal churches in the area and tell me what conclusion you draw.

fltsfshr
Old 03-21-2005, 06:17 AM

Fltsfshr, I am not following you???

2 Southern Baptist
2 Pentacostal

10 child molesters
Old 03-21-2005, 06:22 AM

Received 473 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey8484,Mar 20 2005, 06:11 PM
Would you truly want yourself or your loved ones to have that kind of life. No quality at all.
I think "quality of life" is a very subjective topic. We have numerous folks with certain disabilities who are able to function and have meaningful and fulfilling lives. Parents who nurture and care for those who need constant attention do so with love and affection and are more than glad to have them. I respect those folks for their courage and compassion.

As far as whether I would be able to do that, I don't know. In this Schiavo case, all I am saying is that she is alive without extraordinary means and that we should not do anything to terminate life. That is just my opinion.

Why extinguish life when there is no real need for it? Those of us who watch her may think she has no quality of life but her parents would disagree. They have taken on the responsibility to care for her. If they perceive her facial expression as smiles, and are encouraged by that gesture, is that so bad? Parental love I think takes precedence in light of the fact that the husband cannot produce a valid document to say otherwise.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:33 AM

Received 3,208 Likes on 1,858 Posts

We (and I'm sure many others) will just have to agree to dis agree on this topic. Many doctors have examined her. Many judges have found in favor of her husband.

Quality of life is different for many people. I know what my husband would want, and he knows what I would want, NO WAY, should any other family member be able to take it to court and get it "over ruled."
Old 03-21-2005, 06:38 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

Uppity all I know is that in rural N florida where there's a one of a kind baptist or pentacostal variation church at every corner, there's also a lot of child molestation, incest and inbreeding. I think a lot of it has to do with with the churchs there, from the ministers right on down. Call it cult or clanishness.

They just busted a mass family like that down here out in the ranch country. Nice religous family, Grandpa was also Dad and father to lots of his little girls...sick huh?

fltsfshr
Old 03-21-2005, 07:31 AM

^ Disgusting!

I am orignially from Alabama and my dad/brother/uncle/preacher would argue with you! (just kidding)
Old 03-21-2005, 07:33 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

I am curious about who is paying for all of the medical attention that Terry Schiavo is getting. Not because the cost of the attention justifies ending her life, but rather because many of those who want to keep her alive and are willing to pay to keep her alive are the same people who object to spending money to help educate and feed poor people, poor children and the disadvantaged.

I personally agree with Lainey regarding the quality of life, but, I'm not against keeping her alive either. My problem is that if there are funds for this, there should be funds available for the other too. If the sanctity of life exists for Terry, than it should exist for everyone in need.

Quick Reply: How about a controversial thread?