S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

How about a controversial thread?

Old 02-21-2005, 01:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a more positive note, there was a NYT article today about how Clinton and Sr. Bush have become real buddies via the Tsunami Relief program....traveling together just like Tonto and the Lone Ranger

So which one is Tonto?
Old 02-21-2005, 05:00 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by LINESUPER' date='Feb 21 2005, 05:20 PM

So which one is Tonto?
I think....based on age and beauty.....it would have to be Clinton
Old 02-21-2005, 08:19 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Just thought I'd stop by to mention that when it comes to politics, Jerry's always wrong. (But I still love ya' brotha'.) Everyone knows the democrats get free positive media coverage and the conservatives have to buy it. (well, except for that Limbaugh guy and some of the Fox news opinion shows, but who watches those?)

Lets tie up 2 loose ends before we move on to propaganda. If you live forever, you may actually be able to pay off your alimony.

Divorce is always such a funny topic. Everyone has a story about how unfair it is to one sex or the other. I always wonder how a prenup can acheive what a divorce cannot. Does agreeing in advance somehow create all the assets needed to make everyone happy at the end? Do we feel better about the outcome if we know that both sides agreed to it in advance?

Why should anyone get all the assets and an income stream? Who cares if neither party gets to live in the style in which they have become acustomed? Why does this rule apply to the dissolution of marriage? (well, it really doesn't in most states.) If you lose your job, do you expect unemployment to support you in the style to which you have become acustomed? When you retire, do you expect social security to maintain your life style? Can't you make the same arguements against your former employer and government that you can make against your former spouse? Don't you think the employer and the government is better able to support you than your former spouse? But somehow we expect one individual to do what corporations and the government would never be asked to do.

Two people can always live together cheaper than they can live apart. Divorce should understand that. After the kids have grown, disolve everything, split it and go seperate ways.

As for child support... What a joke. Either the guy skips out and pays nothing, or the guy tries to do the stand-up thing and supports the whole household just so mom can keep junior in a room. Don't get me started on child support. The courts abolutely recognize that much of the money will not be spent on the kids and the law just doesn't care.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:06 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I can see your point on all those topics. Made me think...hmmm.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:19 PM

Received 473 Likes on 337 Posts

Marriage is a commitment from beginning to the end. No marriage should be entered into without some careful consideration and thoughtful reflection. If divorce is inevitable, I think both parties should maintain some sense of decorum and not try to destroy each other. There should be a sense of fair-play throughout the whole proceeding. Equitable way of dividing the asset as well as liability should be considered. No one gains when both parties engage in nasty fights.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:42 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Here's a good controversy for you.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/23/politics...artner=homepage

Assisted suicide. Legal in the State of Oregon. The Bush administration is taking the law to the Supreme Court.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:12 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Tough to argue that one, Rob. Same deal as abortion. You have to take a side on the question of whether life is valuable as life itself or whether quality of life can/does take precedence.

One more reason (for me) to hate the Bush executive, that they would fight Oregon over this.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:27 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Chazmo' date='Feb 22 2005, 11:12 PM
Tough to argue that one, Rob. Same deal as abortion. You have to take a side on the question of whether life is valuable as life itself or whether quality of life can/does take precedence.

One more reason (for me) to hate the Bush executive, that they would fight Oregon over this.
Chaz,

I pretty much agree with what you've said. I find it hard to believe that the Bush administration is fighting the State of Oregon. They never fail to amaze me.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:31 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Well, honestly, I'm not surprised at all by this. Bush is simply pandering to his support base and following his sense of moral superiority. Same thing going on with gay marriage.

I've just been putting my fingers in my ears and humming loudly. I think I'll likely have an ear infection long before 2008.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:39 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

There is an interesting Op-Ed piece in today's New York Times by Paul Krugman. It is referred to as the "Terrorism Card". It's proper title is "Wag-the-Dog Protection". It speaks about how every time this administration become entangled is a domestic problem, it speaks to the terrorism threat as a diversion. Worse still, for all of the talk, the administration isn't really doing an adequate job at that either. It is well worth the read.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/22/op...rugman.html?hp

Quick Reply: How about a controversial thread?