S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

How about a controversial thread?

Old 02-13-2005, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras' date='Feb 13 2005, 05:13 PM
Rob, do you enjoy arguing? I'm not putting anyone down here, I'm just curious as to the differences in people.
I don't know about Rob, but I do.

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling a pig ... you both get filthy, but the pig loves it."

Seriously, I enjoy finding out about other peoples' opinions, even those I don't share. And every now and then, someone will point something out that I hadn't realized, so I end up learning something.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:53 PM

Love the argument/exchange of information, as long as the "false facts and information" don't get in the way.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:28 PM

Hmmm. Lots of comments around the too detailed bacteria vs humans world argument. One of the pleasures of reading the vintage threads is all the information on the thread. Economics, architecture, international issues. All greek to me. I do have quite a bit of education, experience, and training in the infectious world. The info on bacteria is true but within the limited context of the comments. Given the almost daily exposure that many people have (I would guess that everyone in the vintage group has been exposed to staph and many have the bacteria as colonizers on their skin) staphylococcus is not in itself life threatening. Some strains do produce toxins. It is not the simple exposure, but the failing of the immune system. Gonococcus is typically not life threatening it is very infectious as is its more lethal cousin meningiococcus. This stuff really is too detailed.

It is a shame that there is not a medical writer who could do for medicine what the late great Richard Feynman did for physics and science.

I would like to say that my take on dean's comments were that being the top predator (humans) really doesn't mean too much. That humans can be extremely vulnerable and are no more certain to survive than another great apex predator the dinosaurs. My comments were more to the fact that humans though without the physical advantages of most predators can use their brains. And it is the brain that makes humans a top predator. Taking away the brain advantage misses that point. But dean's point is well taken that the average human will likely lose against the average animal predator of equal size. And I agree their really isn't much argument in the posts.

Dean you might find some of the data and information about bacterial/fungal colonization on the skin (hands, nose, etc), mouth, Gastrointestinal tract, fascinating.
I find quizzing my veterinarian friends about the animal world medicine to be also amazing in the similarities and differences with humans. The world of vectors and infections is amazing. The history of TB is a great lesson in how humans have handled the unknown medical problems.

As I didn't think that the issue was all that controversial and there seems to be some talk of arguments I need to heed a wise mother's advise and keep my mouth shut (I think I will go back to staying off the site). Hopefully I will still be able to make one of the events or runs in AZ. (I'll need to pony up the membership by then)

gtnag
Old 02-13-2005, 08:35 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,527 Likes on 1,909 Posts

Well, thank you guys for your answers. It makes sense that some enjoy it and some don't. As a kid I was the one trying to calm down my mom so I guess my reaction to controversy is ingrained. I'll continue to peek in here and see if I want to add anything to the topic being argued, or discussed, but I'll probably lurk for the most part.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:19 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

HeyI like street encounters. When I first stuck my nose in Vintage, I thought it should have been named "The Vintager Old Folks Home and Rest Area".

Street encounters reminds me of my wayward youth and I'm not afraid to admit to doing a little street encountering myself.

As for arguing with engineers, I love it, I learn something everytime and so do they. CPA's are harder to argue with but just as fun.

Discourse makes the world go around and Kyra's I miss your comments and have wondered why you're not in here with both feet.

Vintage has gone from feeling old to feeling bold.

It's the only reason I PAID MY DUES.

They say respect is earned, lots of you in here have earned mine.

fltsfshr
Old 02-14-2005, 04:38 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,965 Likes on 1,753 Posts

^ Nicely said...
Old 02-14-2005, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by fltsfshr' date='Feb 11 2005, 05:43 AM
Someone please send me some wet t shirt pics. I want to torture myself. Wait Mom said that would grow hair on my palms.
OK, Flts - here are a couple of wet T-shirt pix for you. Whether or not you'll grow hair on your palms...well, that's up to you

To the rest of you...these were done, I think, quite tastefully, and I'm truly sorry if the content offends anyone.

What were you thinking?!!?!?
Old 02-14-2005, 05:17 AM

This stuff really is too detailed.
Only for some, but not for me.

[QUOTE]I would like to say that my take on dean's comments were that being the top predator (humans) really doesn't mean too much.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:13 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

This subject may or may not be controversial depending on the participants. I have a friend who just turned 50. Her husband and mine worked together. He left her for another because he was unhappy (various reasons, all of which I find despicable). Anyway, he makes a lot and she makes very little. She is getting alimony for only 4 years.

There controversy here is: If a person leaves for purely selfish reasons, should he/she be required to keep the left behind person in the same standard of living as has been (had been married for 31 years)? Should it be this easy divorce and basically get off scott-free?

Many more details about this, but they will come out if we decide to discuss this. Many more men on here than women and I was just wondering what you fellas think. How about this for a Valentine's Day topic
Old 02-14-2005, 06:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]This subject may or may not be controversial depending on the participants. I have a friend who just turned 50. Her husband and mine worked together. He left her for another because he was unhappy (various reasons, all of which I find despicable).

Quick Reply: How about a controversial thread?