S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

How about a controversial thread?

Old 01-11-2005, 07:04 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts
Default How about a controversial thread?

I am very pleased to say that the feeling of civility has returned to Vintage. Everyone seems to be getting along. Even when we disagree, we are once again doing it in a way becoming to the maturity and good sense that we in Vintage represent. We are once again setting a fine example for the other forums on this site.

That said, we do have to stay in shape. There will be more elections and controversial issues. I wouldn't want us to get fat and flabby. In that spirit, I dedicate this thread to controversy. Feel free to meander anywhere you like with any topic that you like, and to dispute or argue anything that is said. The only ground rule is that this is still the Vintage forum so your argument has to be polite and non-flaming. All of the rules of Vintage apply here too. The rest of S2KI is relying on us to set an example. I'll start.

I love the New York Times. I think it's the best paper sold today. I read it every day.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:08 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 819 Likes on 489 Posts

^^I've been an online subscriber to the NY Times for about 10 years -- I no longer read it because when I do I am deluged with zillions of popups (that defy my hefty block programs and slow my system down) -- this is annoying and cruddy, so I go elsewhere.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:10 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

The pop-ups are a pain, but you're missing a great paper.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:13 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 819 Likes on 489 Posts

Surely you jest, Rob -- you keep us informed about which articles MUST be read!!!
Old 01-11-2005, 07:18 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by valentine,Jan 11 2005, 11:13 PM
Surely you jest, Rob -- you keep us informed about which articles MUST be read!!!
Of course I do. I'm just looking to stir the pot a little. I figured the New York Times was a good fight starter. I think I'll wait until tomorrow before I change the topic. Right now I can't think of anything.

Wait.....I know, how about Michael Moore? Or maybe Rumsfeld? Take your pick.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NYT--Not even worth arguing. They've BEEN the news this year (with Jason B.) more than report the news. If the Abu Ghraib news happened 10 days ago, the Tsunami story would be on B13.

Someone suggested that CBS's failure with Dan Rather and the forged documents wouldn't have happened if they had had at least ONE Republican on staff to give a differing viewpoint, to stop the one-sided mindset that had occurred.

I submit that until NYTimes (and others) add a little conservative "diversity" to their staff, we can only expect more of the same.

...I know what you're thinking, and you're wrong! A survey found that more money was contributed to Democrats than Republicans from FOX employees during the last election cycle. 'Splain that one...

As for the "Arts" section, or best crossword, or "Leisure & Travel", they just may be best...
Old 01-12-2005, 04:02 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

My problem with the NYT is it environmentally unsafe. Every year snowbirds from the east coast flock down here and leave that oversize bundle of chemically treated tree remains polluted with inks and dyes lying all over the local breakfast joints.

Naturally I do my best to help the environment so I grab a couple sections and use it as a cage liner for my parrots.

They on the other hand like the NYT. My biraband has become an expert and doing the crossword puzzle in droppings. My lovebird prefers the editorial section which she shreds diligently.

I prefer the Village Voice

most respectfully

fltsfshr
Old 01-12-2005, 05:54 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Amen to this thread! I felt like Vintage was becoming some 60's commune with all the love floating around here. Even the political rants were uninteresting to me because I respect other people's right to have an opinion on political issues even if I don't agree with them. So those topics don't get me riled up.

Is it possible that we've talked ourselves out in the year+ Vintage has existed? Hmmm...I dunno. Hope not.

I could start another NASCAR thread...that's usually good for pissing off a few F1 fans . Ah, been there done that. I could post that the Steelers suck...but then again...everyone knows that (except for an uninformed Canadian ). We could rail on the Evil Empire (NY Yankees). Nah, the Sox put them in their place last year so that's not fun anymore either. Crap! What are we going to talk about?
Old 01-12-2005, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioRacer,Jan 12 2005, 08:54 AM
What are we going to talk about?
There's always the weather... and toasters...
Old 01-12-2005, 06:10 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tomcatt,Jan 12 2005, 10:09 AM
There's always the weather... and toasters...

Quick Reply: How about a controversial thread?