S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Hot Dogs

Old 07-10-2007, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O Bob, you're such a cognescenti (you should know a proper egg-cream)when it comes to food...we should do a food tour sometimes...

In spite of over-exposure w/ Harry Met Sally, Katz's makes a great pastrami on rye...o it's so tender I salivate at the thought
Old 07-10-2007, 04:25 PM

Ralper have you ever tried to tell any one why you drink Dr. Browns Cel-Ray tonic. I love it but people look at you very strangely when you start talking about celery soda.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:35 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by mns2k,Jul 10 2007, 07:25 PM
Ralper have you ever tried to tell any one why you drink Dr. Browns Cel-Ray tonic. I love it but people look at you very strangely when you start talking about celery soda.
I know, and I agree. It's really hard to explain much less convince people to try Cel-Rey. Even if you give them a taste the chances are they'll reject it. Cel-Rey is an acquired taste, you have to learn to love it. It took about 2 years for Liz to acquire a taste for it.

It's very hard to find in Southern New Jersey, but up here in Northern New Jersey the Kosher delis still stock it. Almost none of the supermarkets carry it. I don't think its as readily available in Brooklyn as it used to be.

There was a rumor going around last year that Dr. Brown's was going to discontinue it, but fortunately they only discontinued the diet variety. Actually that makes sense. There is something very wrong with having a pastrami & tongue on rye with a square potato knish and a diet soda. If you're going to eat such fine food you shouldn't spoil it with a substandard drink.

Long live Dr. Brown's Cel-Rey.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:40 PM

Grilled brats on a bun with sauteed sliced onions and bell peppers
Old 07-10-2007, 04:45 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Dex9,Jul 10 2007, 12:02 PM
O Bob, you're such a cognescenti (you should know a proper egg-cream)when it comes to food...we should do a food tour sometimes...

In spite of over-exposure w/ Harry Met Sally, Katz's makes a great pastrami on rye...o it's so tender I salivate at the thought
I've never liked Katz's that much. Too touristy and a bit too greasy for my tastes.

There used to be a fabulous kosher deli on Essex Street, Sam's Shama Shabbos Glatt Kosher Deli, but Sam died and they closed down. His was a pastrami sandwich to drive miles for. As a matter of fact, Liz and I liked the food so much that we had Sam and Mrs. Sam cater our wedding party in our loft 24 years ago.

The lower east side just isn't what it used to be. Another institution of fine eating, Gertel's Bakery, just announced that they are closing their store on Hester Street. They will still bake and supply restaurants, but they will no longer sell directly to the public. It is a sad day when we can no longer get two pounds of Gertel's Walnut Marble Pound cake. Gertel's was a lower east side institution for over 100 years.

Dex, the egg cream is a lost art. It's been years since I've had a good one. I think the best one was from a little candy store on Quentin Road near Kings Highway in Brooklyn. I ask everywhere I go but most people haven't got a clue.

We should do a fine (deli) food tour, but where would we park?
Old 07-10-2007, 04:57 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Other hot dog uses:

Slice them up and add them to your scrambled eggs with some grated cheese.

Slice them and boil them with your kraft macaroni and cheese.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:15 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Jul 10 2007, 07:57 PM
Other hot dog uses:

Slice them up and add them to your scrambled eggs with some grated cheese.

Slice them and boil them with your kraft macaroni and cheese.
How about a Tube Steak Cassarole?

You need a package of Hebrew National Franks and three cans of Heinz Vegetarian Baked beans. Boil the dogs in water until they are cooked but firm. At the same time heat the beans (don't over cook the beans) in a deep pot. Remove the dogs from the boiling water and cut them into 1 to 1 1/2 inch sections. Stir the dog sections into the beans and cook for a little while longer.

Serve piping hot.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:51 AM

I usually go w/ Bush's vegeterian beans, but similar to what you describe. (Put the top down afterwards)

I remember as a kid coming home after school and for a snack roasting hot dogs over the open flame to get that burnt popping flavor.

Our tour can be w/o parking...eat on the run pulled over at the nearest pseduo parking spot. Of course, we need to conclude our tour w/ cheesecake in the Bronx.

Hmm...a thought...an obscure esoteric food tour by Rob..any vintage folks passing through NYC anytime soon? Perhaps signed waivers will be required for those who have less than an iron stomach.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I love a good hot dog. Yesterday's lunch:
Old 07-11-2007, 07:17 PM

I do not eat hotdogs as much as I used to. But, I still enjoy them from time to time.

One summer during my youth, I worked in Chicago, and I must have ate 4-5 hotdogs a week, trying to find the best "Chicago" hot dog. The secret to a good Chicago dog is the right type of relish and just the right amount of celery salt.

Nowadays, I generally like my hot dogs with just mustard, or maybe mustard and kraut.

However, the best hotdogs are those served at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in Montreal.

Unlike most race tracks and ballparks, where they serve you a hot dog of questionable pedigree, that has been steamed and thrown into a bun, then stuffed in a foil envelope which sits in a some sort of heated container for hours, or maybe even days before you buy it, in Montreal the hot dogs are grilled under low heat, and then, when you order it, it is placed into a toasted sesame seed bug that has also just been removed from the grill at the time you buy it. I think the lightly toasted sesame seeds on the bun make a big difference.

My wife used to make fun of me telling her about how great the hot dogs are at the Canadian Grand Prix every year until she went with me one year and had one (and then had many more). In fact, last year I went to the Canadian Grand Prix without her and she was jealous that I would get to enjoy the great hot dogs and she would not.

While at the race, I emailed her a photo to rub it in!

Quick Reply: Hot Dogs