S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Hot Dogs

Old 07-08-2007, 07:14 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,669 Likes on 860 Posts

I saw that show, and wondered about the "Ripper." Sounds like too much fat and cholesterol for me!! (But, I'll bet it tastes good!)
Old 07-08-2007, 07:27 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My wife swears that I could live on hot dogs ....... Nathans preferably but ALWAYS all beef.

Love 'em smothered with Chili or like I can get a local marina restaurant [called a wharf-dog] stuffed with cheese, bacon, onions, mustard and relish.

A couple of them, some chips, a couple of beers ......
Old 07-08-2007, 07:30 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by jukngene,Jul 8 2007, 10:14 PM
I saw that show, and wondered about the "Ripper." Sounds like too much fat and cholesterol for me!! (But, I'll bet it tastes good!)
Gene,

I expected to blown away with the Ripper. What could be better than a dog deep fried in oil? Using the old rule of thumb, "The more unhealthy a food is, the better it tastes" I expected it to do a tap dance on my tongue.

It was very good, but I wasn't blown away. I think the Nathan's Famous Coney Island dogs are much better.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:06 PM

Received 515 Likes on 305 Posts

Damn.

I can not wait until I retire and have time to smell not only the roses but taste the hot dogs at Coney Island. When ever I go to visit my Mother on Eastern Long Island I drive right by Coney Island on (Belt) Shore Parkway (AKA POW/MIA Parkway). Depending on how old one is.

Now when I make this trip. I am always trying to make it past JFK airport before the 14:00 shift change that causes a massive traffic jam on the east side of JFK. :-(
Old 07-08-2007, 09:50 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,528 Likes on 1,909 Posts

I have some in the fridge right now. I don't usually buy them but I saw these and have been eating them lately.

..Well doggone it! I went to see what they were and they're gone. My son had some friends over while I was gone and they must have chowed them. I think they were Hebrew Nationals but I bought them because they were only 50 calories each. Very low fat.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:50 PM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Ahh Hot Dogs, I love 'em. My favorite would be a local red skin dog made by Glazier, cooked on the grill, with ketchup, mustard, relish and onions. Also there is a local dog called the "michigan" that people come from miles to have and 1 of the many eateries. Its a dog with a spicy hamburger sauce on it with mustard and onions. I probably average eating hot dogs once every other week, maybe more in the summer.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:39 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,970 Likes on 1,756 Posts

I don't eat them often, but when I do, I like them with chili, cheese and onions...yum. Or at the ballpark with just mustard. I bought some for the kids to cook out at the dude ranch - Hebrew National.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:45 AM

Received 3,209 Likes on 1,859 Posts

BTW, if I want a hot dog, I want a REAL hot dog. I don't want a "tofu dog" a turkey dog, or any of those fake hot dogs. Give me the real thing with the real fat content. Otherwise, why bother.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hot dogs, I like them but they have become a no, no on a heart healthy diet (too much sodium and fat). But like all diets once in a while is fine.
Personally I love REMDOG's (only available at Fenway park). this is not your normal foot long, this is a big all beef dog, I like it with a hot mustard, and a little chilli. yum.
At home during the summer season, we might have one meal of dogs, We like the all beef dogs with the dyed red skins (very snappy and what we had when I was a kid) of course cooked on the BBQ, no forks as you do not want to have all the juices run out. Those I like with Gulden's Spicy Brown mustard, fresh onions, a little of Connie's Mom's home made relish.
Since I cannot have them alot it is a special occasion to have a dog.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No for the Polish sausage? I prefer them or brats to the traditional frankfurter. Sometimes just mustard, sometimes with the works.

We grilled brats Saturday for the family 4th gtg. I can't see cooking them any other way.

Quick Reply: Hot Dogs