S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Hot Dogs

Old 07-08-2007, 05:53 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Hot Dogs

When I go fishing with friends I joke that squid is the hot dog of the sea. They may not be first choice of the game fish you are after, but everything in the water seems to eat them. My family and I were laughing about this and we remembered that my daughter, who was a vegetarian for years, started eating meat again when she just couldn't resist a hot dog.

So do you all eat hot dogs? Who doesn't? How do you like them? Which brand do you prefer.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:05 PM

Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts

We do not eat hot dogs at home. My wife is very serious about not eating hot dogs. I would eat hot dogs probably once or twice a year when in a group picnic setting. Since I don't eat at all, I don't miss it much either. I do like bratwurst though.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:06 PM

Received 3,209 Likes on 1,859 Posts

Bill.

Good to see you around.

We eat hot dogs, but not too often. The fat content, health issue and all that.

We like the Ball Park brand, Nathan's or one of those types. Must be a beef hot dog, and I do not think about what goes it them. That would ruin the dining experience.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:13 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,669 Likes on 860 Posts

I don't eat them often, but when I do, I like them, "all-the-way," North Carolina style:

Chili, mustard, onions, with cole slaw on top. (Don't knock it till you've tried it!)
Old 07-08-2007, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We don't eat them them often, but a coney with kraut sounds good some time. Oscar Meyer all beef is our brand. Every once in a while, I crave a footlong.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:32 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Hot Dogs are among my very favorite foods. I love hot dogs. Having grown up in Brooklyn, I have to say the very best hot dog the world has ever known are the dogs served at the original Nathans in Coney Island. They are all beef with a crunchy skin. In order to properly eat a Nathan's hot dog you have to put on a line of mustard (straight, not squiggley), two serving spoons of relish, and sour kraut is optional. Catsup is optional for children up to the age of 13, however, after a child is 13, catsup is no longer permitted. Adult tastes call for mustard.

Of course, a Nathan's hot dog demands a side order of french fries. Not the skinny shoe lace type that McDonalds serves, but the beefy, potatoy type that Nathan's Coney Island serves. Rumor has it that they have never changed the oil since the store was opened (in 1916) they just add to it. That's why their fries are so good.

Finally, it would be sacrilege to enjoy such a fine meal with anything other than a fully carbonated, caloried, sugared and caffinated soft drink. Diet soda just doesn't make it.

As long as you're enjoying all of these nitrates, calories, carbohydrates, sugars, caffines, and sugars, when you finish you should also take a quick drive to Nostrand and Flatbush (actually Nostrand and Utica, off of Flatbush) and finish off with a genuine Ices Queen Vanilla Chip Italian Ices.

If you demand a good hot dog, a trip to Coney Island is a must. All the others are imposters.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:41 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,669 Likes on 860 Posts

[QUOTE=ralper,Jul 8 2007, 10:32 PM]
Old 07-08-2007, 06:42 PM

Received 5,794 Likes on 3,413 Posts

Probably about once a month we do Athens Coney Island dogs. Otherwise, it's Brat's over regular dogs every time. Rob, they sound great.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We like a good hot dog now and then.

We used to exclusively eat Oscar Meyer all beef when the kids were young. Then we started trying the Nathans, Boars Head, etc.

Now we've found that the new Oscar Meyer all beef that comes with the bun (microwave ready) is really quite good. As a bonus you don't get that 10 hotdog, 8 bun problem.

We like them with mustard, onions, relish cheese and sometimes horseradish or home made chili.

Down here in south Georgia, they have a local delicacy called a scrambled dog. It's a flourscent pink (read really cheap) lukewarm hot dog on a bun, smothered in chili sauce, (not chili) mustard, ketchup, pickles, onions and cole slaw. Then they put a handfull of those little oyster crackers on top. They serve it in what looks kind of like a banana split bowl and you eat it with a spoon.

An amusing story:

Once, when I first moved here, I got a scrambled dog at a pool hall in town that was rumored to serve the best scrambled dogs in Columbus.

When I got it, it had almost a quarter inch of transparent red grease floating on top of it. Rather than draw attention to myself, I spooned some of the grease off and ate most of the scrambled dog.

When I went to the counter to pay for it, the guy asked "how was the scrambled dog?"

I told him it was good, but it had just a little too much grease for me. He said "oh, you should have told me "light on the grease"".

Willinathen
Old 07-08-2007, 07:09 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

For all of you Hot Dog lovers, there was a show on our local PBS station on July 4th about the All American Hot Dog. It was about the hot dog and the variations all across the country. I'm sure it'll be shown again. It's worth watching.

Inspired by the show, we took a drive last Saturday (I'll drive most anywhere for a good hot dog) to Rutt's Hut in Clifton, NJ.

Rutt's cooks their dogs by deep frying them in oil. The dogs are beef and pork. They have three varieties; 1)The In and Out-The dog is left in the oil just long enough to cook, 2) The Ripper-The dog is left in the oil longer so the skin bursts, and 3)The Cremator-The dog is left in the oil until it is well done.

We had The Ripper, and while they were very good, my heart still belongs to Nathan's Coney Island.

For cooking at home we prefer Hebrew National Kosher Hot Dogs. Not because they are Kosher, but because they are all beef and they use the proper amount of nitrates, food coloring, flavoring and all the other poisons to make them taste good.

Quick Reply: Hot Dogs