S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Hmmm since 1859

Old 09-05-2024, 03:39 PM

Received 3,929 Likes on 2,639 Posts
Default Hmmm since 1859

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2024/09/did-lawmakers-know-role-of-fossil-fuels-in-climate-change-during-clean-air-act-era/

did-lawmakers-know-role-of-fossil-fuels-in-climate-change-during-clean-air-act-era?

Let's try and keep this in the main forum and not drive it directly to politics sub-forum.
Old 09-05-2024, 04:45 PM

Received 3,763 Likes on 2,654 Posts

That is interesting.

People do their studies, and put out their reports, and pass legal decisions in the courts, but then they all get into their cars and drive home. Knowing is one thing, changing is another.

I'd like to know how long they knew about cattle flatulence being a contributor to global warming ?
The following users liked this post:
valentine (09-06-2024)
Old 09-06-2024, 08:41 AM

It could be said I have helped.
at first glance it would seem the opposite.
I have one inline 4 cylinder, one V6 twin turbo, one N/A 5.5 liter V8. three twin turbo 5.5 liter V8, one twin turbo 4.0 liter V8, one 6.0 liter V12, and one twin turbo 6.0 liter V12.
Almost every one of them makes at least 375 HP, most over 500 HP and one 700 HP.
How could that be green? In. short, I've taken them out of circulation and virtually never drive them.
Old 09-06-2024, 09:53 AM

Received 1,438 Likes on 1,078 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
That is interesting.

People do their studies, and put out their reports, and pass legal decisions in the courts, but then they all get into their cars and drive home. Knowing is one thing, changing is another.

I'd like to know how long they knew about cattle flatulence being a contributor to global warming ?
What is funnier is talking about what to do about cows. I know some say "everyone eats vegetarian and then we use all that land to grow veggies" .... besides the fact that there are issues with that alone, there is the fact that I think 80% of the land we raise cattle on is not arable land, aka not good for growing veggies on. And cows make methane because they are simply walking composters. More plants, more other stuff eats them, more farts from those. Veggies also help convert carbon from the soil into CO2 as well. More plants, more CO2. All of this is many orders of magnitude more complicated than some like to make it out to be. Anytime someone says "if everyone just ...." you can pretty much discount what comes next lol. Because a lot of it comes from people trying to push one agenda without consideration of other impacts.

I will just keeping eating those pesky cows for everyone though. You know .. doing my part... I buy my meat from a farm that grazes their cattle, so I am actually eating a plant based diet
Old 09-07-2024, 08:08 AM

Received 771 Likes on 525 Posts

When I was growing up my Dad had guns in our house. They were locked up. He would show me how to use them and taught me how to handle them safely. We didn’t have any of this crazy $hit that is happening today. No crazies, No mentally disabled people killing people, No violent videos, No social media and no level of hate that we have now. We had discipline, responsibility and parents who cared about us. Sadly, those days are gone forever,
Old 09-07-2024, 08:11 AM

Received 3,479 Likes on 1,887 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KRAY
When I was growing up my Dad had guns in our house. They were locked up. He would show me how to use them and taught me how to handle them safely. We didn’t have any of this crazy $hit that is happening today. No crazies, No mentally disabled people killing people, No violent videos, No social media and no level of hate that we have now. We had discipline, responsibility and parents who cared about us. Sadly, those days are gone forever,
Ray, did you mean to post this in the other thread?
The following 2 users liked this post by Kyras:
dlq04 (09-07-2024), zeroptzero (09-07-2024)
Old 09-07-2024, 10:18 AM

The climate is a serious issue that deserves proper attention, but there are so many scams associated with people and companies who claim to be working to reduce climate change. Don't believe half of what you see and most of what you hear, a good adage that has stood the test of time.

There is a high profile person in our country who wants to force all of us to buy EV's by 2030, yet he jet-sets around the world every week for vacations and idiotic conventions. Hopefully that hypocrisy comes to an end soon.

Then you have the Kardashians (like most hollywood fakes)
Kim Kardashian addresses climate change amid private jet flak (pagesix.com)

Last edited by zeroptzero; 09-07-2024 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-07-2024, 11:33 AM

It is a serious issue but there are many who wish to bury the lede so to speak. aka chevron mobil shell etc. not to mention the rest tied to carbon based fuels.
it's questionable who was first using fake science, the tobacco companies or the oil companies.
Of course there are movies which are simply wrong example, "The Day After Tomorrow".
I have talked with relatively smart people who refer to this as almost science fact. "I'm more worried about another ice age."

In the last 5 or 6 years I've spent near $100K, Improving the thermal efficiency of our house.
This includes heat pumps for HVAC, insulation, window and door replacements, Induction cooktops, and a heat pump dryer.
We went from ~10 heating oil fills down to 1-2 fills per year.
valentine (09-08-2024)
Old 09-07-2024, 03:29 PM

^ You've done great Jerry, I like hearing those kinds of results after efficiency renos are completed. Good work. I also believe doing common sense changes over a large number of households is the way to go, as opposed to forcing everyone to drive an EV (that is not going to save us). I remember hearing that just changing one incandescent light bulb to more efficient versions within each home in America would save massive amounts of electricity, so imagine how much can be saved by doing even more efficiency upgrades by large numbers of people like yourself.

I know they want to keep all hydrocarbons in the ground when 2050 hits, I hope they can find the appropriate replacements , not sure it is achievable, and not likely worldwide, but time will tell if man can do it.

I was always concerned about the next ice age too, or the next cooling period ( as I dislike cold temperatures) , but I won't likely be alive 100's of thousands of years in the future.
Old 09-07-2024, 04:01 PM

If my roof faced south instead of east it would be covered with 46 solar panels.
but that 90 degrees of rotation really kills the power yield.
The garage faces the right direction but has heavy tree cover.
zeroptzero (09-07-2024)

Quick Reply: Hmmm since 1859