S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Help with fluorescent light fixture?

Old 01-26-2012, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Walter's is good as they cater to contractors. Just send me a PM if you need help. The fixtures in my kitchen that I upgraded sit under these ugly plastic panels so they are basic strip fixtures. They will all be history when we remodel the kitchen which I am presently negotiating with April. I told her I would "consider" remodeling the kitchen this year if it was limited to a total gut and remodel using the existing footprint. She wants to blow out the back portion and extend it like a friend did with the same model of house. At this point, we are at standoff. If history repeats itself, she will get what she wants again.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:50 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 4,029 Likes on 2,681 Posts

Patty I am deeply concerned for your safety on this issue and I'm here to help.
If you'll forward airfare for myself and My assistant Barbara, I'm sure we could have this sorted out in a week or two at most.

but seriously, just grab a whole new unit and be done with it.
The new one will probably be more efficient anyways.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:41 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,669 Likes on 860 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
If you'll forward airfare for myself and My assistant Barbara, I'm sure we could have this sorted out in a week or two at most.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:32 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,532 Likes on 1,913 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue

Awesome! I'll have a nice long list of chores for you to do just in case you finish the light fixture. I hear you're very handy around the house. Too bad I recently had my palm trees trimmed. I'd like to have seen you shimmy up the trunks with a chainsaw swinging from your belt.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:24 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 4,029 Likes on 2,681 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
Originally Posted by boltonblue' timestamp='1327697456' post='21359164

Awesome! I'll have a nice long list of chores for you to do just in case you finish the light fixture. I hear you're very handy around the house. Too bad I recently had my palm trees trimmed. I'd like to have seen you shimmy up the trunks with a chainsaw swinging from your belt.
as they say on The Red Green show " if they can't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"

probably good about not needing the chain saw, TSA might frown on that as carry on.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:41 PM
Member (Premium)

I went to Walters and they didn't stock the same fixture I have. I could have bought the new kind for T8 bulbs but since I already bought two new T12 bulbs and opened them, I didn't want to. It was also twice the price. So, I went to Home Depot (the closest store of the three I've been to) and bought a new fixture just like the one I have. Now, I'll have to get brave and take it out of the box, put it together and read how to wire it, etc. I can do it when I put my mind to it. In the meantime I have a camping light in the laundry room.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:48 PM
Member (Premium)

Just remember to turn off the electricity before you start futzing around! Otherwise, you may look like this or this
Old 01-27-2012, 06:13 PM
Member (Premium)

Yeah, I know I need to figure out the breaker for the light. That might be a little hard to do since the light doesn't work anymore. I have a plug in the laundry room with a nightlight in it so it should be the same circuit as the ceiling fixture, right? Should be but might not be?
Old 01-27-2012, 06:20 PM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Kyras
Yeah, I know I need to figure out the breaker for the light. That might be a little hard to do since the light doesn't work anymore. I have a plug in the laundry room with a nightlight in it so it should be the same circuit as the ceiling fixture, right? Should be but might not be?
Not necessarily. I find that just turning the light switch off suffices. I never bother with the breaker.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:22 PM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by jukngene
Originally Posted by Kyras' timestamp='1327720385' post='21360092
Not necessarily. I find that just turning the light switch off suffices. I never bother with the breaker.
Oh, okay. It's got two switches. Hope I get them both right.

Quick Reply: Help with fluorescent light fixture?