S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Help with fluorescent light fixture?

Old 01-25-2012, 07:51 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,532 Likes on 1,913 Posts
Default Help with fluorescent light fixture?

Here's the problem: The fluorescent light fixture in my laundry room is not working. I took out the plastic cover in the ceiling, and with the light turned on, I replaced a bulb and both bulbs lit up. Turned off the fixture, tried turning it on again, and it won't light up but a tad. I had this problem before but bulb replacement worked that time. I did a search on Google and it seems I need to replace the starter or the ballast. It's supposed to be easy and not require an electrician. Anybody done this before? Have any advice?

After reading this, I think I'll check both bulbs before I try anything more.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:16 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,669 Likes on 860 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
Here's the problem: The fluorescent light fixture in my laundry room is not working. I took out the plastic cover in the ceiling, and with the light turned on, I replaced a bulb and both bulbs lit up. Turned off the fixture, tried turning it on again, and it won't light up but a tad. I had this problem before but bulb replacement worked that time. I did a search on Google and it seems I need to replace the starter or the ballast. It's supposed to be easy and not require an electrician. Anybody done this before? Have any advice?

After reading this, I think I'll check both bulbs before I try anything more.
I can give you some advice, but first make sure both bulbs are good, by replacing them with new ones. Then, if the problem persists, you will need to replace either the starter or the ballast or both. Some fixtures do not have a starter, which looks like this: http://www.bulbtown.com/FS_2_FLUORES...S_2_p/0060.htm
If your fixture has one, it is easy to replace. (Twist out, twist in) If replacing the bulbs and the starter (if present) doesn't fix the problem, then you need to replace the ballast, which is a little more difficult, as it involves disconnecting and reconnecting colored wires.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:20 AM
Member (Premium)

^Thank you, Gene. I'll get two new bulbs first. The one I put in yesterday I took out of a garage fixture so it isn't even new. I"ll keep my that bulbs will fix it.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:23 AM
Member (Premium)

^Thank you, Gene. I'll get two new bulbs first. The one I put in yesterday I took out of a garage fixture so it isn't even new. I"ll keep my that bulbs will fix it.
Hope that works!

I had to replace the ballast in one of our garage fixtures a couple months ago, and it was very easy, in that you just match up the different colored wires, and connect them with a wire nut.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:49 AM

Received 2,886 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Depending on the size of the lamps and the age of the fixture you most likely do not have a starter. Newer fixtures that are in the 24" or larger range do not have starters. They are considered to be either "Rapid Start" "Instant Start" or "Pre-heat". If you use new lamps and they do not start try twisting them slightly. Many times there is corrosion in the lamp holder that prevents them from making good contact. If twisting does not help then it is a good possibility that the ballast needs to be replaced.

If the ballast is bad you may want to look at replacing the fixture if possible. Many time the cost of the ballast is 50% or more of the total cost of a new fixture.

If the ballast is the large magnetic type replacing it with an electronic type will save you in operating cost.

Lastly if the ballast is real old (20+ years)it may contain PCB's. Dispose of properly!!
Old 01-25-2012, 09:56 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
Depending on the size of the lamps and the age of the fixture you most likely do not have a starter. Newer fixtures that are in the 24" or larger range do not have starters. They are considered to be either "Rapid Start" "Instant Start" or "Pre-heat". If you use new lamps and they do not start try twisting them slightly. Many times there is corrosion in the lamp holder that prevents them from making good contact. If twisting does not help then it is a good possibility that the ballast needs to be replaced.

If the ballast is bad you may want to look at replacing the fixture if possible. Many time the cost of the ballast is 50% or more of the total cost of a new fixture.

If the ballast is the large magnetic type replacing it with an electronic type will save you in operating cost.

Lastly if the ballast is real old (20+ years)it may contain PCB's. Dispose of properly!!
Good advice!
Old 01-25-2012, 09:59 AM
Member (Premium)

Thank you, David. I'll get out to Home Depot and let you know if new bulbs solve the problem.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:13 PM
Member (Premium)

Well, I took the plastic sheet out again to look at the fixture, before heading to Home Depot. I looked at the bulbs. I wiggled them in their sockets. Of course the light came on when the four footers got wiggled. So, I turned off the switch and turned it back on. On off on off on off... Those lights are working every time now. I know there's a dirty joke here but I'm going to behave.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:30 PM
Member (Premium)

Well, I took the plastic sheet out again to look at the fixture, before heading to Home Depot. I looked at the bulbs. I wiggled them in their sockets. Of course the light came on when the four footers got wiggled. So, I turned off the switch and turned it back on. On off on off on off... Those lights are working every time now. I know there's a dirty joke here but I'm going to behave.
Wiggling often helps! Saved yourself a few bucks, too, thanks to Dave's suggestion.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:39 PM

Received 169 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooterboy

I knew we kept you around for a reason.....

You are just plain smart!

ps. I'll never admit to saying that!!!!

Quick Reply: Help with fluorescent light fixture?