S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

hello again

Old 07-11-2013, 05:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot to add I am still quite wobbly and have to be careful walking around - especially on uneven ground. My tremors have gotten better, but not subsided yet. My right hand is mostly OK, just a little bit of shaking. My left hand still shakes quite a bit though.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:16 AM

Received 3,208 Likes on 1,858 Posts

I'm not a doctor, but I play one on the internet. I hope there has been a discussion of some medications to help you through this difficult time. Anti anxiety/anti depressants? I know some folks really prefer to deal with this stuff with talk therapy only but meds can have an important place and they don't have to be forever.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:28 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,528 Likes on 1,909 Posts

Originally Posted by silvershadow
Originally Posted by Kyras' timestamp='1373529898' post='22659699
John, that sucks about the PTSD. If you don't mind, I'd like to hear more about it.

Too bad you felt you had to sell the S2000. That in itself would bum me out. Is it gone? Why couldn't you get out of it? Are you not strong enough, yet?
I lost 70 pounds in 6 weeks when I was in ICU - a lot of that was muscle. My legs are just not strong enough to get out of a car that low yet. I'm working on it but it will probably be at least 6 more months before I can. The car has not moved since August of last year, and it would be another 6 months before I can drive it. I just couldn't see letting the car sit for that long.

Thanks for all the good words from everbody. Dealing with the PTSD is very difficult for me. I get really depressed, have flashbacks, feel like I am on the verge of tears most of the time. I feel profoundly sad most of the time. Sometimes, I have to grit my teeth to make it through the day, and when I go home, I go to bed, pull the sheet up over my head and cry for several hours. Sometimes I can talk about what happened to me and I'm OK with talking about it. Sometimes, all it takes is someone asking me how I am doing and I fall apart.

In addition, I was on some pretty heavy drugs - induced coma, Had two surgeries with general anesthetics. I've been told it takes a year or more for those drugs to work their way out of my body.

Needless to say, I have a lot of sympathy and empathy for soldiers coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan with PTSD.
Thank you for sharing, John. You will get well and be strong, again! You are progressing all the time. You are overcoming what will be the hardest challenge of your life.

With your reply and Jim's, I wanted to know more about PTSD. My guess is you know all about it but I don't. I hope you are on medication for it. I currently take generic Celexa (anti-depressant) because I got tired of crying everyday and being too sad to even pick up the phone, when my own kids would call. I tried to tough it out but it wasn't working for me. I'm good now, although it took some getting used to.

I read this from this link:

If you have PTSD, it doesn’t mean you just have to live with it. In recent years, researchers from around the world have dramatically increased our understanding of what causes PTSD and how to treat it. ...

Two types of treatment have been shown to be effective for treating PTSD: counseling and medication. Professional counseling can help you understand your thoughts and discover ways to cope with your feelings. Medications, called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, are used to help you feel less worried or sad.

In just a few months, these treatments can produce positive and meaningful changes in symptoms and quality of life. They can help you understand and change how you think about your trauma—and change how you react to stressful memories. You may need to work with your doctor or counselor and try different types of treatment before finding the one that’s best for dealing with your PTSD symptoms.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:16 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

John, this is the first time I have read this thread and I am just lost for words. Do post often, if you are able, I am sure that the responses of these wonderful people will be a life line for you.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:30 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,668 Posts

Hey John,
I still owe you a dinner.
I want to make a dinner date for a year from now.
Deal?
Old 07-11-2013, 08:06 PM

Received 5,791 Likes on 3,411 Posts

John, keep sharing your progress and problems. Sharing is good for the soul. And, Please keep telling Yourself - This Too Will Pass!
Old 07-12-2013, 01:22 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 823 Likes on 489 Posts

John, hang in there. We're all rooting for you and wish you well.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:28 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
John, keep sharing your progress and problems. Sharing is good for the soul. And, Please keep telling Yourself - This Too Will Pass!
Your situation is only temporary, and you will get through it. Talk therapy and medication can and should help you.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many of you mentioned antidepressants and talk therapy. I am doing both. I was on Celexa for several months and it wasn't working very well so my doctor switched me to Welbutrin. That seems to be better.

In the month I am off from work, I will be ramping up my therapy sessions - talking to my therapist twice a week.

This has been going on since February. Oddly enough, and I'm not sure it was connected, but it got worse after the Boston bombing. I know I was very upset when I saw the videos of the bomb going off. It was very similar to one of the hallucinations I had when I was in a coma.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:41 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,528 Likes on 1,909 Posts

Originally Posted by silvershadow
Many of you mentioned antidepressants and talk therapy. I am doing both. I was on Celexa for several months and it wasn't working very well so my doctor switched me to Welbutrin. That seems to be better.

In the month I am off from work, I will be ramping up my therapy sessions - talking to my therapist twice a week.

This has been going on since February. Oddly enough, and I'm not sure it was connected, but it got worse after the Boston bombing. I know I was very upset when I saw the videos of the bomb going off. It was very similar to one of the hallucinations I had when I was in a coma.
Please keep on keeping on, John. You'll get there. You're doing everything you can. I am amazed at what you've been through and how far you've already come. You're on the home stretch. You can and will do it! (((HUG)))

Patty

Quick Reply: hello again