S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Hell The Scientific Explanation

Old 09-24-2015, 03:57 PM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts
Default Hell The Scientific Explanation

HAHAHA

The following is an actual question given on a University of Tennessee chemistry mid-term, and an actual answer turned in by a student.

The answer by one student was so 'profound' that the professor shared it with colleagues via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well:

Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law (gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed) or some variant.

One student, however, wrote the following:
First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving, which is unlikely. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today.

Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell.
Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added.

This gives two possibilities:
1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.
2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.
So which is it?
If we accept the postulate given to me by Anabella during my Freshman year that, 'It will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you,' and take into account the fact that I slept with her last night, then number two must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over. The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is therefore, extinct..... ....leaving only Heaven, thereby proving the existence of a divine being which explains why, last night,
Anabella kept shouting 'Oh my God.'

THIS STUDENT RECEIVED AN A+.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:21 PM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Awesome. As they should get an A+!

Make it a sticky
Old 09-24-2015, 05:08 PM

Received 3,480 Likes on 1,888 Posts

I saw that one ages ago but it's still funny.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:12 PM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

First time I've seen it. Got it in an email. Did a little more research on hell. Still Funny

It tickled my funny bone.

fltsfshr
Old 09-25-2015, 05:30 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
I saw that one ages ago but it's still funny.

I see that a lot. Take an old joke, add the internet, and tell it as new.