S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Have you done anything dumb lately?

Old 12-15-2006, 05:59 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,526 Likes on 1,909 Posts
Thumbs up Have you done anything dumb lately?

Took my '05 S2000 in today for a new driver's seat belt since the one I have keeps locking up when I'm trying to lean forward to see the coming traffic. After getting a ride to the gym, and finishing my workout and shower, I check my phone to find that I forgot that I have seat locks, and they didn't do the work. Have to go back all over again.

Also, tried to get the base onto the Christmas tree my son and I bought yesterday, now that I found it, and broke off the metal stake inside the tree base. Oh, yeah. My ex-to-be used to drill the tree before putting the base on. Now I'm off to go buy a new stand.

What have you done lately that you feel stupid for?
Old 12-15-2006, 06:06 PM

Received 3,206 Likes on 1,856 Posts

Glad you asked, Patricia. I put something in my closet that belonged in a refrigerator!

A small unopened container of milk. I had thrown it in a bag to make it easier to carry things into the house and didn't remember it when I put the bag in the closet.

There was no odor and thank God I went into the closet to get the bag before things got worse. I need a chemist to explain what happened. The milk was unopened, yet I had gross stuff growing on the OUTSIDE of the bag. The inside of the bag and other contents were fine, dry, no problem with them, yet the milk container was no longer full.

Some kind of osmosis?

Now, I MUST tell you that I keep a very clean house, and am NOT in the business of growing penicillin in my closet on a regular basis.

Out came the hot water, soap and disinfectant wipes.

I think I'll have nightmares about this one for a while.

Oh, BTW, we have dropped off my Jeep for a front end alignment, wheel balance or something along those lines, and forgot to tell them where the wheel lock key was.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:22 PM

Received 515 Likes on 305 Posts

Yep!
Old 12-15-2006, 07:57 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,526 Likes on 1,909 Posts

Oh, I forgot yesterday's screw up. I'm cursed lately. Ever feel like everything you touch turns to shit?

So, yesterday, I call Cabelas and go through 3 people and spend about 30 minutes on hold, etc., to tell them that the super nice leather coat I bought for Fall Colors 2004, has a broken zipper, and I want to get a new coat. Lots of talking, and reodering, etc. As an aside, I paid $279 for it, they were going to charge me $199, on sale, for the new one, and then I found the exact same coat on-line at Cabelas's for $99. Anybody want to buy a nice, insulated black ladies leather coat, with a black fur trimmed hood for $99 let me know and I'll try to find it on-line again...

So anyway, I finally figured out that there was NOTHING wrong with the zipper. (I already bought a new coat that I took to PA and Ohio, last week, since I thought the zipper was broken on this one.) The thing is, the zipper is a two way, meaning there are two parts to it. I didn't notice the top part and kept trying to zip it up with the bottom part of the zipper, so it never worked. Worked fine when I pulled down the top part too. I called back and cancelled the new coat before it got sent out.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:47 PM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey8484,Dec 15 2006, 10:06 PM
Oh, BTW, we have dropped off my Jeep for a front end alignment, wheel balance or something along those lines, and forgot to tell them where the wheel lock key was.
I did something similar to that with my son's car a few years back
Levi
Old 12-16-2006, 04:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't feel bad about the zipper thing, Patricia. That's an easy mistake. And I'll suggest that it's Cabela's fault as much as yours.

Back when, before mail/internet orders became outsourced -- that is, when you could actually talk with someone in the store -- you'd have been asked: "We get this problem a lot, but sometimes it's just that the two-way zipper confuses people. I think your coat has a two-way zipper."

Now you talk with someone in Bombay who doesn't have a clue. And even if the store handles its own orders and so on, that clueless culture has permeated the customer-service business anyway, so even in Nebraska they don't know to ask. At least you stopped the shipment. HPH
Old 12-16-2006, 04:41 AM

As Dean will the be first to verify, I do stupid things every day! Impossible to list them all here without writing pages of my idiocy!

It wasn't recently, but soon after I bought my last Corvette, I picked it up from a hotel valet where I was staying and realized a couple of blocks away that the emergency brake was on. I couldn't get it off for love or money and was standing staring at the car as if that would help. This was in San Antonio where there are a zillion military bases and nice YOUNG soldier came by. He couldn't figure the problem either but was getting his tools to cut the line to the emergency brake so I could at least drive back to Houston. At the last minute I decided to call the hotel valet to ask WTF they'd done to my new car. That's when they explained that you had to pull up on the handle and depress the button before it would disengage. Thankfully the soldier hadn't cut the line yet!
Old 12-16-2006, 04:48 AM

Received 3,206 Likes on 1,856 Posts

Originally Posted by DrCloud,Dec 16 2006, 08:13 AM
Don't feel bad about the zipper thing, Patricia. That's an easy mistake.
Dr. C.

What about putting milk in my closet instead of the refrigerator? Is that an easy mistake too? PLEASE say yes.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:54 AM

Ack! I just thought of another one. I work from home and was having a bad day so decided to go walk around the back yard and calm down. The door locked behind me on the way out which I didn't realize until I tried to get back in. Thankfully, we have dogs so there is a dog door which I was able to crawl through with a bit of effort. I was telling Dean that night and of course his very rational question was why I crawled through the dog door instead of reaching inside through the dog door and unlocking the door itself. That thought honestly NEVER occurred to me! Some days I just HATE being blonde!
Old 12-16-2006, 04:54 AM

I never got past the mysterious osmosis process. Was this a cardboard milk container? HPH

Quick Reply: Have you done anything dumb lately?