S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Handling question

Old 03-23-2009, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handling question

I think this topic has been addressed but please humor me.

With the amount of posts beginning " I was just going around a corner at 25 mph & the rear end came
around and I landed on the sidewalk."
My question - is this age or experience related?

Over the years I've owned cars that needed caution in the wet --notably Mustang GTs, Porsche 356 and
a TR4 with Michelin "X" (anyone remeber those tires) and never had trouble.

Is the s2000 that much different?
Old 03-23-2009, 04:57 PM

[QUOTE=Raff,Mar 23 2009, 08:28 PM]I think this topic has been addressed but please humor me.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:03 PM

I would be willing to wager that most of the individuals losing the rear at low speeds around a corner are driving their first rear wheel drive car.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:45 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,933 Likes on 2,642 Posts

The car is responsive and will do what you ask.
ask for something stupid and your wish will be granted.

caveats to keep in mind.
Wet tires have a different performance than dry tires. Yeah I know, I was shocked too.

Grip on the stock/OEM tires falls off pretty badly below 35-40 degrees.
We lose a number of newbies in the fall every year here in New england when it gets cold.

VTEC has an interesting bump in performance mid power.
It can bite you until you know your speed/gear/ rpm windows.
Combined with the previous two elements it can generate a little excitement.

but as Forest Gump said, Stupid is as stupid does.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

^ Given your in vintage you wont have a problem with it. You have driven plenty of rear drive vehicles im sure. The rear end does lose grip quite rapidly below 35 degrees up here "maine" on summer tires. The AP1 was most notable for this but again sensible driving and you wont have an issue.

FTR AP1 means year 2000-2003
AP2 means year 2004-onwards the rear suspension geometry was altered in cars built after 2003.

Gang correct me if I am wrong on my years above. Also the AP1 had the 9000 rpm redline after that the motor was detuned to 8000 rpm
Old 03-23-2009, 06:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Biggest problem is for kidz that have always had wrong wheel drive cars. Hit the gas mid turn in a wrong wheel drive car and it will stop turning and push straight ahead at whatever direction it is pointed. Break traction with the S2000 and the rear will step out.

DO NOT HIT VTEC IN THE MIDDLE OF A TURN!!!
Old 03-23-2009, 07:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Raff,Mar 23 2009, 05:28 PM
Is the s2000 that much different?
It's somewhat different. The car is like a horse that will do whatever a skilled rider tells it to do, but will try it's best to throw or bite a novice rider. One thing about the S2000 is that it is very, very unforgiving. Many cars can be brought back from even a major error, but an S2000 is almost impossible to save once it gets more than just a little out of shape.

I was out at Infineon and Thunderhill the last four days, flogging mine. I made a few mistakes that I saved, but there's a certain angle of yaw beyond which it's just "lock them down and hope you are spinning in a good direction". I did spin it twice, one on each track.

As a side note, a friend let me drive his Boxster S around Thunderhill. It handled very much like an S2000 -- except with 25% more power and 50% less drama.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:55 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Mar 23 2009, 10:36 PM
It's somewhat different. The car is like a horse that will do whatever a skilled rider tells it to do, but will try it's best to throw or bite a novice rider. One thing about the S2000 is that it is very, very unforgiving. Many cars can be brought back from even a major error, but an S2000 is almost impossible to save once it gets more than just a little out of shape.

I was out at Infineon and Thunderhill the last four days, flogging mine. I made a few mistakes that I saved, but there's a certain angle of yaw beyond which it's just "lock them down and hope you are spinning in a good direction". I did spin it twice, one on each track.

As a side note, a friend let me drive his Boxster S around Thunderhill. It handled very much like an S2000 -- except with 25% more power and 50% less drama.
Raff,

Mike And I often disagree, but I agree with his post 100% and not so much with the others. The S2000 is NOT like the other cars you mention. I have owned and driven modified Sprites and Big Healeys, Mustangs, Jaguar E-types, Corvettes, Porsche 914s and 944s, Alfas, VWs, 240 and 260Zs, turbo Chryslers, blah, blah, blah all at speed and often in competition. The S is different. In three seasons of autocrossing the car, I learned that you can control it most of the time, but you can also reach the limit suddenly, especially in left-right transitions, and get into a snap oversteer that you cannot stop. I also learned that wet pavement can result in a sudden slide if your in even a slight turn when you shift at high rpms. People will say "it was wet, what did you expect?" I say, it was a very mild turn and I never thought the rear would come out, even though the road was wet. FWIW.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:28 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,949 Likes on 1,745 Posts

Interesting that you bring this up. I just posted in this thread, one of MANY on the subject:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...T&f=1&t=682516

Old 03-24-2009, 03:37 AM

Received 3,185 Likes on 1,841 Posts

When (not if) you buy your S, do NOT use cruise control in the rain. Bad things can happen. PAS2knut could fill you in on that one, and I believe it is also mentioned in the owner's manual.

Quick Reply: Handling question