S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners
View Poll Results: Plenty of H1N1 vaccine now, will you get the shot?
Yes
40.54%
No
43.24%
Not sure
5.41%
I think I should, but not sure I'll bother.
10.81%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

H1N1 will you get the shot?

Old 01-21-2010 | 01:20 PM
Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Lainey,Jan 21 2010, 04:55 PM
Because?

No nagging, I promise.

Just truly interested in why some folks are so set against these shots.
Stupid reasons, perhaps, but here goes:

I rarely get sick, so I think my immune system is in pretty good shape.
Years ago, I had a very bad experience with a doctor's incorrect diagnosis from a reaction I had to a medicine I was given (I almost died), so I tend to view most things espoused by medical "authorities" with a jaundiced eye.

I'm also stubborn like Patty!
Old 01-21-2010 | 01:23 PM
Member (Premium)

Come on folks!!!!!
If there was a foreign disease circulating around that did nothing more than rot your nose off and there was a vaccine for it and it cost 1000 dollars, you would all lay rubber to get your shot.
H1N1 is a FOREIGN disease and it can KILL you. The older you are the greater will be the risks of dying. It is free. It will hang around and be back over and over again for who knows how long. A whole lot of Americans will now be immune from getting clinical form of the disease, but they can still act as a vehicle and bring it to you. Some of these periotic seasonal flu strains have been around for a hundred years or longer and resurface. Next time around it may be H2N1 or H1N2, etc, and you will have some partial cross immunity.

Patty, I will give you a hug whether you want one or not. You too Gene.

Just do it. Sorry for giving unsolicited advice.
Old 01-21-2010 | 01:38 PM
Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

^^^ John, I respect your opinion and will give it further consideration. How about if Patty passes the hug along to me?

On another note, I may send you a PM for your opinion about a procedure we are having done on our Westie next week (laser cataract surgery).
Old 01-21-2010 | 01:48 PM
Member (Premium)

Gene, you could always trust a veterinarian. Excuses not based on solid logic.

Hunter's Tropical Medicine Textbook, 6th Edition. Chapter 109, Geographic Distribution of Infectious Diseases, by John T. W***e DVM. That was me, before I got old and lost my skills.

Handbook of Diseases of Military Importance, AFMIC, 1986. That was me.

I talk to my son in Afghanistan. 1/3 of his patients are Afghan civilians. He has seen Pneumonic anthrax, Leishmaniasis, Echinococcosis, Leprosy. etc. Never would he have thought to ever see such things. It's a small world these days.
Old 01-21-2010 | 01:51 PM
20 Year Member

Thanks for the posts. Gene, Patty, I do understand where you are coming from.

John thanks for the info.

Rick wasn't with me getting a shot last night, he was taking the cat for her shots. Next flu clinic, I'll ask that he go. He's got no issue with the shot. The clinic last night was the first open one. I expect there will be another.
Old 01-21-2010 | 03:59 PM
Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

^My s are another story. They get their shots regularly.

Old 01-21-2010 | 04:04 PM
Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by jukngene,Jan 21 2010, 02:20 PM
Stupid reasons, perhaps, but here goes:

I rarely get sick, so I think my immune system is in pretty good shape.
Years ago, I had a very bad experience with a doctor's incorrect diagnosis from a reaction I had to a medicine I was given (I almost died), so I tend to view most things espoused by medical "authorities" with a jaundiced eye.

I'm also stubborn like Patty!
I'm with you, Gene. Sometimes the medical field tells people that something is safe and then, oops, well, it's fine for 99% percent of the people. Like it's your fault you're different. That happened to my dog, Kyras. He was put on Rimadyl, the miracle drug for dogs. It killed him. He was one of the rare cases.
Old 01-22-2010 | 06:32 PM
Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Kyras,Jan 21 2010, 08:04 PM
I'm with you, Gene. Sometimes the medical field tells people that something is safe and then, oops, well, it's fine for 99% percent of the people. Like it's your fault you're different. That happened to my dog, Kyras. He was put on Rimadyl, the miracle drug for dogs. It killed him. He was one of the rare cases.
I did some research about Rimadyl, and apparently some dogs had similar reactions to it. I am sorry it happened to your Kyras. Our little Westie takes 25Mg per day with no adverse side effects, thank goodness.

John has just about convinced me to get the shot, so I will probably do it. Care to join me?
Old 01-22-2010 | 06:35 PM
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by jukngene,Jan 22 2010, 10:32 PM

John has just about convinced me to get the shot, so I will probably do it. Care to join me?
Old 01-23-2010 | 08:05 AM
Member (Premium)

^^ Let's hear it for Gene.

Quick Reply: H1N1 will you get the shot?