S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners
View Poll Results: Plenty of H1N1 vaccine now, will you get the shot?
Yes
40.54%
No
43.24%
Not sure
5.41%
I think I should, but not sure I'll bother.
10.81%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

H1N1 will you get the shot?

Old 01-14-2010 | 04:33 PM
20 Year Member

Thumbs up H1N1 will you get the shot?

So after many "issues" in the early days of the availability of the H1N1 vaccine, there is now plenty for all.

Local towns and cities are holding free vaccine clinics and all are welcome to get the shot.

When I got my seasonal flu shot a couple of weeks ago, the nurse said next year's flu vaccine should cover people for both the H1N1 and seasonal flu.

Though it's not been in the news lately, they say the H1N1 flu could surface again, so if you have not been vaccinated yet, will you go?

On another topic, is there much seasonal flu in your area? I've heard of no outbreaks in ours.
Old 01-14-2010 | 05:27 PM

I haven't got the the shot yet because I have had a recurring sinus infection and my doc won't give it to me. I saw his last weekend and he said that the H1N1 has been quiet as of late. He didn't get the shot and he didn't vaccinate his little ones (a 1 yrs old and 4 yrs old). That said, he explains the pros & cons for all of his patients so they can may the correct decision. My kid in college got one (a must), and my other kid and wife got one. Costco had them for $10 last week (I get reimbursed anyway) but I couldn't take the shot at that time.

As for the flu, I haven't heard much about it in the SoCal area. Most people that I know get a shot annually.
Old 01-14-2010 | 05:37 PM
Gold Member (Premium)
15 Year Member

goblues2k and I both got the H1N1 vaccine in the middle of December. That was right around the time that the CDC lifted all of the restrictions and made it open to everyone. We got our shots at a free clinic in our county. We went one evening after work, and there were many many people getting the vaccine. I think goblues2k saw on the news that something like several thousand got the shot at that clinic that evening.

The lines were long, but it was run very efficiently and we were in and out of there in very little time, considering how many people were there.

Ohio State University (where I work) has also been offering the shot free of charge for all employees since around that time, too.

I have noticed signs at several of the local pharmacies that they are having clinics, too, although I think you might have to pay a small amount for those shots.

I thought that it was especially important for goblues2k to get the shot as he takes medicine which suppresses his immune system, and he has had a heart attack. However, he was not considered in one of the earlier priority groups because he is over 64 years old. So, although he has a medical condition and takes medicine which suppresses his immune system, he was not considered at a high risk as people over 64 years old are not considered at high risk.

Anyway, bottom line is that we both already got the H1N1 shot. I didn't vote in your poll, though, as that was not one of the options.

Should I vote "yes" in your poll?

Oh, edited to add that goblues2k's doctor did give him a note (on a prescription form) that she said he could take to one of the clinics for high priority people. However, I don't know whether any of the clinics would have made an exception anyway. I expect not. If he had to show any ID, they would have seen that he was over 64 years old. Anyway, it was not necessary for him to do that as the clinics became open to everyone shortly after that.
Old 01-14-2010 | 05:49 PM
Member (Premium)

The prime flu season is still ahead. We have not yet, but likely will do it.
Old 01-14-2010 | 05:56 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

No thanks.
Old 01-14-2010 | 05:59 PM
Gold Member (Premium)
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by hecash,Jan 14 2010, 09:50 PM
The doctor at the clinic was not very happy with me when she brought up my medical records on the computer. She said that even though I was not in the CDC high risk category because I am over 64, with the number of heart and kidney procedures that I have had, they will always make an exception.

I have mixed emotions about that since I had been staunch about folks over 64 not getting the H1N1 until the supply was sufficient and allowing anyone to get the vaccine.
hecash, are you saying that the doctor was upset with you because you had not gotten the shot earlier?

I was wondering whether clinics would have made exceptions. It seems to me that many of them might not have made any exceptions because of the strict CDC guidelines.

goblues2k didn't try to get an exception by using the note his doctor wrote. It wasn't necessary because our county opened up clinics to everyone shortly after he received his doctor's note in the mail anyway. I don't know that he would have tried to get an exception anyway.
Old 01-14-2010 | 06:24 PM
20 Year Member

Sorry, forgot to add the "Already had the shot" option.
Old 01-14-2010 | 06:42 PM
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by hecash,Jan 14 2010, 10:33 PM
Yes, I am saying that. She said that the rule was not intended to exclude folks like me regardless of age.

While my cardiologist was proactive and had sent a letter that validated my condition and urged me to get the shot, I did not. It was clear to me that the risk category was and is young folks and the supply was very short. The thought of exposing a kid to a fatal out when I've had a lot of good swings at the bat did not sit well with me.

I told her that. With a dead-pan face, she shook her head and walked away.
I applaud your decision and for what it's worth, I agree with your way of thinking.
Old 01-15-2010 | 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Lainey,Jan 14 2010, 05:33 PM
Though it's not been in the news lately, they say the H1N1 flu could surface again, so if you have not been vaccinated yet, will you go?
It will surface again. I've had the regular flu shots since the became available and never had the flu. Next year the regular flu shots will probably also contain H1N1 antibodies.

I just can't understand why anybody would not care to protect themselves and the people around them.
Old 01-15-2010 | 08:50 AM
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Starbrd,Jan 15 2010, 12:47 PM
It will surface again. I've had the regular flu shots since the became available and never had the flu. Next year the regular flu shots will probably also contain H1N1 antibodies.

I just can't understand why anybody would not care to protect themselves and the people around them.
Too many folks think that the flu shots are evil. Also many still believe you get the flu shot from the flu and use that as an excuse.

Quick Reply: H1N1 will you get the shot?